Staggs resigns

lazyboy97o

You could make the argument that Disney's purchase of the IP's did actually make them more enjoyable. One of the few things I think Iger has been good at as providing the checkbook to his purchased film brands, while entrusting them to talented individuals who are relatively autonomous in order to build the franchises. Lasseter with Pixar. Feige with Marvel. Kennedy with Lucasfilm.

At other studios, the parent company would be meddling more and the product would suffer. And with Marvel and Lucasfilm, these were stagnant companies who were given additional life when Disney purchased them.

But that is really the ONLY place I will give Iger credit.
Pixar now makes a lot of sequels at the order of Iger. Marvel's film plans were mapped out and moving forward before Disney's acquisition. Lucasfilm was stagnant because of Lucas, he could have just stepped aside and allowed Kennedy to move forward.

WDW1974

Your name appears enough on my website, don't read too far into it.

The rumors that I have tracked on my site have been about the parks and resorts themselves. While the leadership of the company is certainly relevant it's not directly relevant to parks rumors. Admittedly it's a slightly specious argument so let's just go with, "It's my site and I don't want to track executive movement until it actually happens."

That's fine. You can do whatever you choose. I said my piece. I don't need a PR hack working for me! :)

Back to the greater point here, you said that this is the first significant change. I'd probably say Bruce Vaughn was the first change for the positive, although this one is more substantial.

Agreed. But the No. 2 exec of the entire company, someone who has been with DIS since 1990, someone who came up through Strat Planning, someone who has had his eyes on the top spot for a decade now ... that person leaving at a bizarre time under less than ideal circumstances is much more significant. ... Both on the surface and for WHATEVER it means behind the scenes.

Tay

This is a serious and must needed change. I defintely hope the next CEO is external.

I'm planning an Asia trip for the 2020 Olympics and I planned on going to every Disney park in Asia until I found out about the smog in Shanghai. It will be reduced by then but why would Disney not wait it out until it gets to the health level to open something so expensive? Especially when every park they have except both of Tokyo's need some serious TLC, and better money management?

MM+ isn't bad but it sure could have waited until the other 3 parks were better. I added up all the rumored and reported budgets from NFL to SWL included MM+. With smart money management and holding off on MM+ they could have done so much more.

lazyboy97o

I'm planning an Asia trip for the 2020 Olympics and I planned on going to every Disney park in Asia until I found out about the smog in Shanghai. It will be reduced by then but why would Disney not wait it out until it gets to the health level to open something so expensive? Especially when every park they have except both of Tokyo's need some serious TLC, and better money management?
Because the park's opening was mapped out years ago and is not decided by Disney alone. The other parks would not have been 'treated better' if Shanghai Disney Resort never existed.

WDW1974

And what if Shanghai opens to a huge success?

You want to define success?

Are we talking REAL success? As in pulling in the numbers that will be released? Are we talking the CCP loving it so much that the Disney Channel China gets approved? Are we talking so successful that it needs to add a few billion in attractions almost immediately to satisfy demands?

Or are we talking success as in the CCP says it is successful, so TWDC says it too? Because those are guaranteed.

orky8

What is the metric of huge success? Huge attendance and high guest spending can still be insufficient.
The bean counters running the show surely would measure it by speed on return to investment. I'm not optimistic for this park based on how the expenses seemed to have ballooned, but these same people can tell you MyMagic+ was a success so I'm sure Shanghai will be too.

Gomer

Pixar now makes a lot of sequels at the order of Iger. Marvel's film plans were mapped out and moving forward before Disney's acquisition. Lucasfilm was stagnant because of Lucas, he could have just stepped aside and allowed Kennedy to move forward.
All true. Relatively autonomous, not completely. Pixar shells out sequels, but it still provides us something like Inside Out. A movie most studios would be too afraid to put out. Marvel was mapped loosely. But Disney still had the guts to let them do things like GotG and Ant-Man. They may meddle occasionally, but Feige is driving the vision.

If these movies were being made at Fox, Sony, or WB I don't' think we'd see the levels of trust that those three get.
Its a strange quirk for Iger to have that level of trust , where he doesn't seem to have the same level in any other aspect of the business. How nice would it be if he gave Imagineering that same level of freedom to develop properties on their own?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
THAT is what you'd like to talk about today?!?! That's called a joke. May be poor taste, but I don't care. You shouldn't either.
I'd be more focused on the end game here than the fact I may have a sense of humor that doesn't mesh with your sensibilities.
Nah, it just seemed a bit outside your normal joke territory, and I guess coupled with the tenor around some of the forums lately (not yours to be fair) about Disney or various executives ruining people's lives, I read a more serious tone into it than intended.

And honestly, the inside executive baseball stuff is just something I can't get into. I couldn't tell your Staggs from your Rasulo. My brain works far too fact based to form the kinds of opinions that some seem to be able to make about who is THA WURST EVAH and who is the next savior if only the man wouldn't keep them down.

What I mean by that is that I have 0 visibility into the goings on inside the walls of TWDC. I know nothing about the players everyone talks so authoritatively about, what they've done, how they work, how they are able to motivate people or how they're not, and what constraints are put on them that allow them to succeed or fail. I simply can't form judgement about any of the names that get tossed around here often by a few people who do have inside knowledge, and a whole lot of people who don't. I don't know the impact of most of the officers in my own company, no way I'm able to follow what really goes on inside a company I have never worked for. Now, I know that you do have that visibility, and I know that you have a very specific point of view that you write from. It's why I'll even click into a thread like this at all, to see what the opinions of the very few connected people say, in order to check what the prevailing wind of opinions is. I can't take it much farther than that though for myself, because I don't have any honest to goodness facts to consider those opinions against in order to make up my own mind about it.

Either way, it was obvious your statement was a joke, but I feel that there are quite a few folks who might be inclined to grab ahold of that and turn it into real vitriol. Still, it stuck out to me as outside your normal line, and I responded. <shrug>

Last edited:

Skibum1970

I apologize but what is the real name for Chappie? I can't keep up with the nicknames.

Recent Successes for Iger and Co.:
1. Wasted $2.0B+ on MyMagic with no real hope of ever getting ROI.
2. Spending a ton of money on New Fantasyland for a meet-n-greet, 2.5 minute coaster, and a dark ride that should have been soooo much better.
3. Spending close to, if not equal to, $1.0B on two rides at Animal Kingdom and allowing DHS to fall into a ghost of itself with at least three years before some improvements come.
4. Allowing EPCOT to slowly rot and hoping that the food and wine festivals disguise obvious failings (new use for beer goggles).
5. Riding coattails of Disney's past without improving on anything or leveraging those successes.

lazyboy97o

The bean counters running the show surely would measure it by speed on return to investment. I'm not optimistic for this park based on how the expenses seemed to have ballooned, but these same people can tell you MyMagic+ was a success so I'm sure Shanghai will be too.
Agreed, and there is a point where a desired timeline can no longer be achieved, even with a full park and people tossing out fistfuls of RMBs.

All true. Relatively autonomous, not completely. Pixar shells out sequels, but it still provides us something like Inside Out. A movie most studios would be too afraid to put out. Marvel was mapped loosely. But Disney still had the guts to let them do things like GotG and Ant-Man. They may meddle occasionally, but Feige is driving the vision.

If these movies were being made at Fox, Sony, or WB I don't' think we'd see the levels of trust that those three get.
Its a strange quirk for Iger to have that level of trust , where he doesn't seem to have the same level in any other aspect of the business. How nice would it be if he gave Imagineering that same level of freedom to develop properties on their own?
Iger doesn't have that level of trust, he bought already successful people and they were expected to do what they do. None of these big creatives were brought in by Disney or cultivated by Disney. Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm already did their own production before Disney's acquisition, maintaining pure distribution deals like they had would have been enough.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

In my head, it went
image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom