Staggs resigns

lazyboy97o

I know, totally. Clearly we saw the same amount of cuts and price increases in Staggs's first year that we've seen in Chappie's.

And @ParentsOf4 might have some numbers, but I believe capex now is not much different than it was in 2010/2011. So don't blame Shanghai. It is Chappie who has chosen to sqeeze every penny out of the US parks. By comparison, while Staggs is bad, he's not as bad.
Given that response, it seems clear you do not really know what you are talking about. Strategic Planning is not Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and was officially dissolved years ago.

jt04

Kathleen seems logical but I wouldn't be surprised if she is content running Lucasfilm.

Iger extends is my guess. Everything is running great. China will be a great success. Why leave the best job in the world?

The board won't find better. IMO.

WDW1974

And yet you expressed the same joy when the Parks and Resorts top spot opened up. But then we got Chappie.

No, you are mistaken. I was never excited because Chappie was named immediately as his replacement. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Chappie has had a year to prove ... he needs to leave the company and go sell stuff to Target and Sears and Old Navy etc.

So that's what I am concerned about, who will replace him. I love your positiveness in these moments, and rarely do I see situations in a worse light than most here, but I fear for the future. Half of me is excited and half of me sees this as just a new age of the same kind of stuff. Or worse.

One of the worst things that I could imagine happening is Iger extending his contract. He's all but sworn that he won't do it again. But I could imagine him pulling some bs and saying something like the "oh, I have to lead this company more, it's my duty until we find a new leader, etc." I too am hoping for the best, but there are an equal number of worse things that could occur.

An evil is leaving, but is it just opening room for another evil? I really hope there is enough good left in the world that we can get a qualified individual to run the company.

I hope so as well. But getting rid of a huge problem -- and, again, both Eisner and Iger wanted this guy to run the company, which should tell you all you need to know how bad an idea this was -- is always a nice and hopeful start at finding a positive solution. Know what I mean?

WDW1974

Agreed, but do you think Kennedy's Disney tenure has been short enough to be considered new blood? She has the perfect combination of creative/business acumen. Plus she is incredibly well respected.

Possibly, but my gut (and, yes, I am basing this on conversations going back many months now) just says they are going outside. That this will be a 1984-like restructuring, but without threats of greenmail and family politics involved. That, right now, is just very educated OPINION.

IanDLBZF

I hope so as well. But getting rid of a huge problem -- and, again, both Eisner and Iger wanted this guy to run the company, which should tell you all you need to know how bad an idea this was -- is always a nice and hopeful start at finding a positive solution. Know what I mean?
And yet Roy and Stan pushed Eisner to his resignation? No wonder Roy never even thought what the end consequences would be. Iger wanted Staggs to run the show, and so did Eisner. Maybe Stan Gold can have his chance as CEO of the board... Who knows?

R W B

So how does the BoD like Iger at this point in time? From what I'm reading from a few of you it seems like Iger and the BoD have 2 different visions for the future of Disney.

EthanMagicBands

I don't understand why so many of you dog on Iger. Is it because he's pricing you out? Or because you just want to live in the Horizons era the rest of your life?

I mean come on... the guy brought us Star Wars and Marvel. Bringing in those two things alone makes him worth his weight as a good CEO for me. The parks have record attendance AND profit (which is great as a shareholder). We've got Disney Springs expansion, Toy Story Land, Avatar, Star Wars Land and more... record profits and attendance on Frozen, Zootopia, Inside Out, etc.

Are there things that should be improved? Sure. But bad CEO? No way. I hope he gets an extension. I'm very happy with Disney as the moment and am excited about everything new being brought in.

I think Staggs got the ax (or got pushed out) because of his big over-budget and often-late projects. Think New Fantasyland, MM+, Avatar, and Shanghai. It's not that the ideas were bad, it's more that the planning was always way off.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

So confused. I figured Staggs was going to be the fall guy for Shanghai. Why announce this now unless the board is setting up Iger as the fall guy so they can push for all new top level executives? Anyone know how much of this is really about the parks and how much of this is about ESPN and ABC?

Tom P.

I am hoping that this is a first sign that the Disney board has realized that a shake-up involving fresh blood is needed at the company.

Perhaps not. Perhaps this is just an isolated matter involving something to do with Staggs alone, and won't affect anything else about the company. But it could also be a recognition by the board that the bean-counters are squeezing the company too tightly and that fresh creative juices are needed. Could we be on the verge of a 1984 level shake-up? Maybe not. But this is certainly a major enough step that it could be the beginning of something significant.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Of course with the current composition of the board, It's entirely possible that Staggs replacement will be WORSE than Staggs ever was, Recall of all the Burbank crew Staggs is the only one who ever visited the parks with his kids as simply a Dad having fun with his kids.

We might get a Wall Streeter as his replacement and we will be looking back on the 'good ol days...'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't understand why so many of you dog on Iger. Is it because he's pricing you out? Or because you just want to live in the Horizons era the rest of your life?

I mean come on... the guy brought us Star Wars and Marvel. Bringing in those two things alone makes him worth his weight as a good CEO for me. The parks have record attendance AND profit (which is great as a shareholder). We've got Disney Springs expansion, Toy Story, Avatar, and more... record profits and attendance on Frozen, Zootopia, Inside Out, etc.

Are there things that should be improved? Sure. But bad CEO? No way. I hope he gets an extension. I'm very happy with Disney as the moment and am excited about everything new being brought in.

I think Staggs got the ax (or got pushed out) because of his big over-budget and often-late projects. Think New Fantasyland, MM+, Avatar, and Shanghai. It's not that the ideas were bad, it's more that the planning was always way off.

Please go back to your cube in Celebration Place or Burbank and tell them you tried...

RSoxNo1

I'm not looking for credit because others have more than capably pointed out what I have said ... but I am having a hard time figuring how the leadership of the company isn't relevant to the parks ... or any/all parts of the media giant.
Your name appears enough on my website, don't read too far into it.

The rumors that I have tracked on my site have been about the parks and resorts themselves. While the leadership of the company is certainly relevant it's not directly relevant to parks rumors. Admittedly it's a slightly specious argument so let's just go with, "It's my site and I don't want to track executive movement until it actually happens."

Back to the greater point here, you said that this is the first significant change. I'd probably say Bruce Vaughn was the first change for the positive, although this one is more substantial.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom