Staggs resigns

JustInTime

Iger will almost assuredly leave. ... His replacement is almost assuredly going to be from outside the company. Fresh blood, which is so needed. Of course, we still have 27 months of Iger's destruction to go first. ... Unless ... well, I suppose if the BoD wanted someone very, VERY badly from outside they could likely buy Bob out.
Any chance this could improve and plans for the parks (or make worse) like what happened with the fantasyland expansion?

No Name

Given that response, it seems clear you do not really know what you are talking about. Strategic Planning is not Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and was officially dissolved years ago.

Okay. Cool. Your point? I am well aware of that and never said a word about Strategic Planning. The comeback of "you do not really know what you're talking about," followed by a completely arbitrary and irrelevant statement is one that I wasn't going to reply to and don't know that I should be.

Anyway, I was comparing Tom Staggs's time as head of the Parks and Resorts divison to Chappie's time. That is the only true comparison we can make. And I prefer to judge by the most recent of things, not stuff from over a decade ago that we can't pin a single person (such as Tom) for it being their fault or their doing. Tom Staggs, under a very similar situation in 2010, did not make as poor of moves as Chappie has. I don't like either of them but he is the lesser of two evils.

No, you are mistaken. I was never excited because Chappie was named immediately as his replacement. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Chappie has had a year to prove ... he needs to leave the company and go sell stuff to Target and Sears and Old Navy etc.

I hope so as well. But getting rid of a huge problem -- and, again, both Eisner and Iger wanted this guy to run the company, which should tell you all you need to know how bad an idea this was -- is always a nice and hopeful start at finding a positive solution. Know what I mean?

I believe you were initially quite excited but I can't find anything when I try searching for it so I'm not going to argue on that. Either way, I get it. It's important to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. And getting rid of the problems is the first step to anything better.

I like Eisner but he chose bozo leaders so yeah, that's concerning. It's also concerning why Tom left, which I will give my opinion on in a bit, but I have suspicions.

It would be oh so nice to see Iger get the boot. That would be the third CEO in a row who has been forced out. It's amazing that Disney is a $150 billion company despite not having a CEO voluntarily leave their spot since Walker in 1983, I think. It's a tradition at this point. The stock is low and if profits fall and ESPN worries continue... oh that would be great.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm happy that Tom left today, because settling for mediocrity is never good. Staggs is even less than mediocity. And he really has been Iger's minion over the last few years. I hope whoever is next just has some new blood, some new ideas. I hope they have a smile that doesn't look completely faked. I hope, if they don't totally walk the walk, they at least talk the talk. Just have some passion, some energy. And I truly believe that passion and energy would radiate through the company and make it strong again.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Agreed, definitely Lassester would be a terrible idea, he is far better in his current position that he is better qualified for and passionate about.

Kathleen Kennedy on the other hand...

But do you want to remove her from Lucasfilms? Agree that she'd be great, but that IP is very important and needs someone of her caliber at its helm.

ParentsOf4

"What? You're not going to promise to promote me in 2 years? That's unacceptable. The heck with you and the heck with this company. I'm outa here!"

andrus-whiny-baby.jpg

Now I remember why I despise dealing with these types. :mad:

wdwfan4ver

I think Staggs got the ax (or got pushed out) because of his big over-budget and often-late projects. Think New Fantasyland, MM+, Avatar, and Shanghai. It's not that the ideas were bad, it's more that the planning was always way off.
You gave Staggs some credit that he didn't deserve. Staggs didn't have as much to do with the New Fantasyland as you think. Jay Rasulo actually was the person who approved New Fantasy Land. Remember Staggs replaced Rasulo in his final 2 positions of the company.

What Staggs did was change parts of New Fantasyland in terms of adding the Mine Train and most of the Storybook Circus theme. Those changes delayed New Fantasyland. Jay's version of New Fantasyland involved Dueling Dumbos, the Mermaid ride, the Beauty and the Beast Meet and Greet, Be Out Guest Restaurant, and the never built Pixie Hallow area full of meet and greets.

While Staggs played a role for mymagic plus, it actually was Jay Rasulo's baby. MM+ was something Jay came up with and Iger actually approved it with when Jay was the President of the theme division. The only things Staggs really had to deal with it was adding it to WDW.

Staggs was sole responsible for Shanghai and Avatar. The catch with Avatar was, the deal was done before there was plans of what attractions were going to be built.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Here I am watching the special features with Episode 7 (thanks Disney for getting it to me the day before release date - even Amazon didn't do that), take a break to see what's happening on WDWMagic and I spot THIS!

I'm gobsmacked....... And elated. Let's hope the BOD chooses his successor VERY carefully. And by that, I mean looking to the future after June 2018.....

alphac2005

"What? You're not going to promise to promote me in 2 years? That's unacceptable. The heck with you and the heck with this company. I'm outa here!"

View attachment 136808

Now I remember why I despise dealing with these types. :mad:
My father used to deal with those types and the golden parachutes that he was in charge of administrating were deplorable. Whether it was a forced out executive, a temper tantrum still having to wait as you've noted, or merger, the prevailing theme was that it was never enough even though the packages were for many people's lifetime of wages just to hit the exit door and never look back. The stories I was always told were unreal and plays right into the current gross wage imbalance.

lazyboy97o

This is a question out of business ignorance, so chill before you think I'm for or against Iger's departure in 2018, but why would a board want a change from someone who helped greatly improve share prices, brought record park attendance and a solid bottom line? From a business perspective, wouldn't a board want to keep that person as long as possible? And even though the board has to act in the interest of shareholders, would they have interest in things such as quality in the theme parks, etc.
Not if these Board members realize that the short term leaps are at the expense of long term health.

Yup....
And I've yet to be convinced that a nation still made up mainly of rural people who've been under the yoke of totalitarian Communism for over half a century can support a massively expensive venture like SDL
Those people likely save their meager incomes for hard times and aren't enamored to "Western" entertainment to the extent that they'll go to Shanghai every year as though it were a pilgrimage to The Forbidden City.
Foreigners will have to support SDL and they can disappear at the drop of a hat, or car bomb, at the hands of some nut case fanatics.
IMO setting up an insanely expensive "fun park" in China is a lot like juggling bottles of nitroglycerin.
Something bad's going to happen eventually.
It seems to be trendy here to dismiss the popularity of Wedtern culture in China. I don't doubt Disney's attractiveness to a Chinese audience. The bigger flags are the "uniquely Chinese" elements dictated by the CCP and fueled by Disney's lack of cultural understanding.

Okay. Cool. Your point? I am well aware of that and never said a word about Strategic Planning. The comeback of "you do not really know what you're talking about," followed by a completely arbitrary and irrelevant statement is one that I wasn't going to reply to and don't know that I should be.

Anyway, I was comparing Tom Staggs's time as head of the Parks and Resorts divison to Chappie's time. That is the only true comparison we can make. And I prefer to judge by the most recent of things, not stuff from over a decade ago that we can't pin a single person (such as Tom) for it being their fault or their doing. Tom Staggs, under a very similar situation in 2010, did not make as poor of moves as Chappie has. I don't like either of them but he is the lesser of two evils.
When you respond to his role in Strategic Planning with nonsense from his time at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts then it is still relevant. Chapek is doing what his bosses (Staggs and Iger) want him to do.

radiohost

I think Iger is gone in two years because the board wants him to leave on a high mark, not have a "Michael Eisner 1995-2005" depacle happen again.

If in 1990 you would have said within 10 years Eisners reputation would have hit the pits, you would have been laughed out of the room.

No Name

So, it begs the question. The most concerning and interesting question of all (other than who will replace him). Why did he leave?

Jay Rasulo's departure was understandable. He had been benched. But Staggs was next in the batting order, and he isn't stepping up to the plate. Why? Maybe he sees that Iger hit a pop fly to center field, and Tom doesn't want to end the inning. Maybe the team is losing so badly that Tom knows his effort won't turn the game around. Maybe he's walking off by his own choice. If so, that signals a concern, and a sort of sick feeling in me. The guy influenced much of what went on in the last few years, and now he's leaving before the long term effects will be seen. Is the company's future really pointing so downhill right now that Tom doesn't have a solution and thinks the heat will inevitably fall on him if he becomes CEO? So many questions.

Maybe he was forced out by the company. But why? I could not even begin to guess, and I don't think that's likely. Iger wants anything but more trouble with finding a successor. Did Iger begin to really not like the guy. I don't know, but it's possible.

Maybe he got a job offer elsewhere. It's possible that he will become CEO of another large company by the end of the year. The man is getting old, 2018 might've been too long to wait, especially if he sees stormy waters ahead.

Either way, it shows us that something is not right. The family is not all good and tight. This is the first major but odd departure during Iger's tenure (other than Tony Baxter, maybe). And that makes it exciting, to me at least.

DGracey

A name not referenced around this place enough is ... Isaac Perlmutter.

When Disney got Marvel, it got Ike too.

The Marvel purchase made Perlmutter one of the largest single shareholders of the Walt Disney Company.

And being the largest shareholder comes with great power and sway - with the board and over Iger (it's like Sid Bass' control over Eisner all over again).

Who has Isaac Perlmutter not liked in the Disney executive suite for years? Tom Staggs.

Rumours continually persisted Ike did not respect Staggs creative sensibilities or decisions.

In short Disney history - Perlmutter got former Consumer Products head Andy Mooney booted because he didn't like the way Marvel characters were sold, so he got someone he liked put into head that division - Bob Chapek. Then when Staggs moved to COO and Chapek took his place at Parks, Staggs put Leslie Ferraro in Consumer Products. Guess what happened there? Perlmutter did not like Staggs choice in Ferraro either - and poof - 9 months into her new role she was already gone.

Perlmutter likely strongly signalled - as Disney's largest shareholder and an activist one at that - there was no way he was supporting Staggs for the top job. And Disney's board (representing shareholders!) got the message too - Staggs was clearly out. Staggs got the message.

Iger put Staggs in the COO post so he could prove he was a worthy heir. But it actually proved the opposite - it was never meant to be.

Rteetz

The Marvel purchase made Perlmutter one of the largest single shareholders of the Walt Disney Company.

And being the largest shareholder comes with great power and sway - with the board and over Iger (it's like Sid Bass' control over Eisner all over again).

Who has Isaac Perlmutter not liked in the Disney executive suite for years? Tom Staggs.

Rumours continually persisted Ike did not respect Staggs creative sensibilities or decisions.

In short Disney history - Perlmutter got former Consumer Products head Andy Mooney booted because he didn't like the way Marvel characters were sold, so he got someone he liked put into head that division - Bob Chapek. Then when Staggs moved to COO and Chapek took his place at Parks, Staggs put Leslie Ferraro in Consumer Products. Guess what happened there? Perlmutter did not like Staggs choice in Ferraro either - and poof - 9 months into her new role she was already gone.

Perlmutter likely strongly signalled - as Disney's largest shareholder and an activist one at that - there was no way he was supporting Staggs for the top job. And Disney's board (representing shareholders!) got the message too - Staggs was clearly out. Staggs got the message.

Iger put Staggs in the COO post so he could prove he was a worthy heir. But it actually proved the opposite - it was never meant to be.
But didn't Iger move to get Perlmutter moved out of the way so Kevin Feige could work freely? That type of move doesn't sound like someone you want as your next CEO...

LAKid53

Premium Member

In short Disney history - Perlmutter got former Consumer Products head Andy Mooney booted because he didn't like the way Marvel characters were sold, so he got someone he liked put into head that division - Bob Chapek.

Uh ooh......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom