Staggs on FLE

Grumpy1973

Original Poster
Not sure if this is posted already but was reading an article on Orlando Sentinel online and Staggs is talking about the Fantasy ship and the FLE..when asked a possible completion date of FLE he says " there is one (final) element that will be in '14"... I'm guessing he's referring to 7DMT... Not sure how to post a link to the article or I would...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I know that the coaster is certainly the last to open of what we see under construction so far, but I'm quite surprised at the 2014 opening date given the progress to date. Will it really take another 21 months? Even fiscal '14 (18 months) seems a lot longer than they'd need.

Is it possible that there is one final piece that we don't see yet that will be finished in '14? Maybe the Peter Pan queue or something like that?

Lee

Adventurer
The internal timeline I have, from early-ish last year, puts the 7DMR in Q2 of fiscal '14. That's the way they've planned it from the beginning.

MerlinTheGoat

holding out for the new mad tea cup roof in 2014

I agree, would love to get a version of Paris' gorgeous roof, though heat might be an issue if they don't install some sort of shade or air/AC-
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ks2zk6N5vB1qa4w2fo1_500.jpg

I'm not holding my breath though, since they apparently quite recently installed new LED light fixtures all around the edge of the roof. This makes me think they don't intend to do anything with Mad Tea Party anytime soon.
http://micechat.com/blogs/orlando-p...castle-living-sea-sick-eight-park-update.html

jjharvpro

Maybe I'm just being overly positive, but I think this 2014 date is to play it safe. With the rate of progress, especially recently, imagine where it'll all be a year from now! IMO it'll open in 2013.

G00fyDad

I agree, would love to get a version of Paris' gorgeous roof, though heat might be an issue if they don't install some sort of shade or air/AC-

I'm not holding my breath though, since they apparently quite recently installed new LED light fixtures all around the edge of the roof. This makes me think they don't intend to do anything with Mad Tea Party anytime soon.
http://micechat.com/blogs/orlando-p...castle-living-sea-sick-eight-park-update.html

I'd love a Paris style roof but unfortunately I believe disney will want to keep the subtle individuality of each park. Making the WDW Tea Cup roof the same as DLP would be too much in their minds.

NoChesterHester

I love the Paris Glass roof, but there is a reason you don't see glass canopies in the Southeast United States... impossible to keep clean.

WDW1974

Only Disney would need over four years to complete a relatively small scale project like this.

Amazing.

~Change is coming. BIG, SPIRITED change!~

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Only Disney would need over four years to complete a relatively small scale project like this.

Amazing.

Agreed. They built all of WDW Phase One in less time. They love spreading the expenses out over multiple years these days. I totally understand the financial benefit to doing this, but it's still somewhat baffling.

WDWFREAK53

I don't think that it's the construction that will take all this time but moreso that they want to spread it out so that they can use 2013 and 2014 funds...rather than billing this entire project in one or two years.

MAF

Amazing.

No kidding, its sad really. Yet they'll continue to raise ticket prices.

stitch2008

Amazing.

Coasters alone can take 2 years to build. Several have taken 3.

It doesn't matter how big or exciting the ride is. It's about manufacturing and construction. How fast can the plant get supports and track finished and how fast can you put together a steel coaster in a tight spot? That's the question.

BigThunderMatt

Coasters alone can take 2 years to build. Several have taken 3.

It doesn't matter how big or exciting the ride is. It's about manufacturing and construction. How fast can the plant get supports and track finished and how fast can you put together a steel coaster in a tight spot? That's the question.

This isn't the coaster. It's the theming. Cedar Point put together a coaster with over a mile of track in less than 6 months (Millennium Force). And that coaster is 310 feet tall. AND they did it in the middle of Ohio winter.

The supports and track will be up relatively quick. It's going to be the enclosure of the track, the theming, rockwork, and horticulture that will eat up the bulk of the construction time.

stitch2008

This isn't the coaster. It's the theming. Cedar Point put together a coaster with over a mile of track in less than 6 months (Millennium Force). And that coaster is 310 feet tall. AND they did it in the middle of Ohio winter.

The supports and track will be up relatively quick. It's going to be the enclosure of the track, the theming, rockwork, and horticulture that will eat up the bulk of the construction time.

I wasn't even gonna mention that. Thought it went without saying. :wave:

radiohost

Geesh...

Ticket prices rise to help pay for YOUR fun!

Higher ticket prices = Avatarland, Fantasyland Expansion...

Sorry, but its simple business logic. The same applies for a baseball franschise. The Cincinnati Reds yesterday resigned a first baseman, Joey Votto, for $225 Million. You can bet that ticket prices, beer, hotdogs and everything else will rise because of this...And that is something we as fans have to deal with.

As for the timing to seem long compared to "Phase 1" of the Florida Project...Just ask any veteran architect or developer what laws have changed in the past 40 years to building code and see why it takes so long!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
As a developer, I can sympathise with the long phases of initial planning, developement and design (due to everyone, including lawyers, getting their input addressed) and approvals, but I really think that WDI "milks" the construction phase. Once all the legwork has been done, and the construction plans are in the contractors hands, the process should move quicker than it does in the "Disney" world. I think that Walt would be extremely frustrated at the pace at which things move today with regards to WDI and bringing new attractions online.

Now if this is due to budgetary constaints (in which quarter or fiscal year is this part or that part of the project going to fall under), I find this even more frustrating when considering the size and profits of the WDC. For all we know, there could be just a fraction of the labor needed to complete the FLE, and they just keep getting shifted from one piece of the project to another, to keep each piece of the budget on track. Have we actually seen crews working on every piece of the expansion at any one time? Seems like they're over here one day, and the next, they're over there.

Go figure....any way you look at it, it seems to be taking an awfully long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom