Staggs on FLE

lazyboy97o

As for the timing to seem long compared to "Phase 1" of the Florida Project...Just ask any veteran architect or developer what laws have changed in the past 40 years to building code and see why it takes so long!
Except that construction at Walt Disney World takes place inside the Disney controlled Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Everyone knows that on opening day, there were a lot of rough spots in the Magic Kingdom. Today's guests are much more savvy and they have access to forums like this and other mediums. Opening up FLE before it's completely ready? They know they'd be torn apart by hardcore fans.

I'm going to forgive them for the "rough" spots in Storybook Circus, if only because what's done is so beautiful, but even that area looks kind of bad in places.

GrumpyFan

From what I remember of Expedition Everest construction, this timeline seems about right. Ground broke on EE in the summer of 2003 and it officially opened in April of 2006. However, the design work for EE supposedly started in 2001.

One thing many seem to be forgetting here is that there will be physical access and noise limitations placed on building 7DMT as soon as Mermaid and Beast's castle opens later this year(?). The construction crews will not be able to drive in and out except after hours due to the attraction being in the middle of a busy guest area. This will slow their progress considerably. Heavy/noisy work will likely be limited to night-time hours when lighting and safety will be an issue. Also, the ride vehicles for this are new and un-tested on an actual roller coaster track. There will likely be several months of test and adjust as well as possible delays if things don't work as planned.

GrumpyFan

Except that construction at Walt Disney World takes place inside the Disney controlled Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Disney doesn't exactly control RCID. They are a state controlled municipality/district and must adhere to laws and regulations of the county and state of Florida as well as OSHA and many other governmental and regulatory agencies. So, they can't just do as they please.

erasure fan1

Everyone knows that on opening day, there were a lot of rough spots in the Magic Kingdom. Today's guests are much more savvy and they have access to forums like this and other mediums. Opening up FLE before it's completely ready? They know they'd be torn apart by hardcore fans.

But they are opening it before it will be ready. They are not going to open the FLE all at once but in a staggered opening. I would have actually preferred the entire land to be 100% before they let us in.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From what I remember of Expedition Everest construction, this timeline seems about right. Ground broke on EE in the summer of 2003 and it officially opened in April of 2006. However, the design work for EE supposedly started in 2001.

One thing many seem to be forgetting here is that there will be physical access and noise limitations placed on building 7DMT as soon as Mermaid and Beast's castle opens later this year(?). The construction crews will not be able to drive in and out except after hours due to the attraction being in the middle of a busy guest area. This will slow their progress considerably. Heavy/noisy work will likely be limited to night-time hours when lighting and safety will be an issue. Also, the ride vehicles for this are new and un-tested on an actual roller coaster track. There will likely be several months of test and adjust as well as possible delays if things don't work as planned.

It's yet to be seen what they will do with accessibility to the 7DMT site. It's possible that they will leave it connected to the access road behind Little Mermaid. This would cut off one entrance to Fantasyland Forest, but people could still enter from the BaTB side.

GrumpyFan

It's yet to be seen what they will do with accessibility to the 7DMT site. It's possible that they will leave it connected to the access road behind Little Mermaid. This would cut off one entrance to Fantasyland Forest, but people could still enter from the BaTB side.

Regardless, once those 2 attractions open, and there are guests in the area, it will limit their ability to do some things, likely slowing down the process.

Captain Neo

Isn't construction on 7 dwarfs mine train already underway? I find it incredibly hard to believe it won't open until 2014 that's two years away!

rkelly42

If I had to guess I would say that it will open sometime in 13, I think the 14 opening that he states is just a time they had set that they estimated it would be open by. They needed to put a timeline on the opening of the expansion and that was probably just their original estimate from the beginning. As for the opening of FLE in phases, it only makes sense since it will appease most guests and will also help with relieving congestion in FL. I to would like to see it all finished and opened at once.

G00fyDad

Isn't construction on 7 dwarfs mine train already underway? I find it incredibly hard to believe it won't open until 2014 that's two years away!

If I had to guess I would say that it will open sometime in 13, I think the 14 opening that he states is just a time they had set that they estimated it would be open by. They needed to put a timeline on the opening of the expansion and that was probably just their original estimate from the beginning. As for the opening of FLE in phases, it only makes sense since it will appease most guests and will also help with relieving congestion in FL. I to would like to see it all finished and opened at once.

And it could be the fact that they are having to build this in, around, and under all sorts of other things in New Fantasyland. That may be why it could take another 2 years. They are slowed by all of the other stuff in their way. Not that it wasn't foreseen. I'm sure they knew it would be like this so that is why it (7dmt) has always been said to be the last stage to be completed. They have to prep the land (done), they have to lay the track (almost done), They have to cover the exposed areas, they have to build the trains, and they have to theme the whole area which includes the "mountain/hill" that will be above the ride and the house. And there are a ton of other things that need to happen that I haven't even mentioned. I can viably see it taking two more years.

Mawg

As much as I would like to see this completed faster as we have a family reunion planned for WDW the summer of 13, I agree that it could very well take two more years to complete.

The idea that it is being extended over two years to spread out cost is ludicrous. If the estimated cost of the expansion is 1 billion, then roughly one fifth would be left for the 7DMT or 200 million. The other 800 million would have already been spent on BB, LM, SC, the wall and the other paths and theming (Peter Pan and Poo). Of the rough estimate of 200 million left for the 7DMT a good portion of that is paid out already to contractors for developing the train and cars, track, structural, foundation and animatronics (at least some pretty hefty down payments). What’s left is the final payment to contractors once they finish their jobs. So let’s say conservatively there is still 100 million to be paid out for the completion of the mine train. Does anyone really think Disney would sweat over the books to spread 100 million over two more years so that they can have a fence around an unfinished project right in the middle of Fantasyland, I think not!

No, I believe there is a ton of work to still be done and in 6 months the 7DMT will become an isolated island with no supply chain until the middle of each night. The structure needs to be finished, theming completed, rock work inside and out, a cottage needs to be build and then there’s testing.

Testing is what concerns me the most with this attraction. This is a train with the cars rocking back and forth. Disney wants this ride for the little ones. With a ride that rocks back and forth is a single lap bar going to be sufficient, let’s hope so. But, what if it’s not and the cars have to be reconfigures for shoulder harnesses and little ones can’t ride it anymore due to ht and the harness hitting them in the wrong spot. Could be a disaster a rollercoaster for the whole family that little ones can’t ride and not enough thrill for the big kids. I sure hope they have a place to test this other than the back of a pickup truck, otherwise they may be re-working the rocking of the cars for months.

GrumpyFan

No, I believe there is a ton of work to still be done and in 6 months the 7DMT will become an isolated island with no supply chain until the middle of each night. The structure needs to be finished, theming completed, rock work inside and out, a cottage needs to be build and then there’s testing.

Exactly! Also, their ability to use a crane to lift and move heavy pieces will be severely limited.

Testing is what concerns me the most with this attraction. This is a train with the cars rocking back and forth. I sure hope they have a place to test this other than the back of a pickup truck, otherwise they may be re-working the rocking of the cars for months.

Testing can easily take 6 months without any major issues encountered. If they run into problems, add another month or more of adjustment and testing.

It always irks me when people come on here and other sites questioning the length of time to build and test a new attraction. There are so many variables involved in building a new attraction, many of which aren't visible to the untrained eye. I assure though, they will get it open as quickly as possible so it can start drawing more guests in.

G00fyDad

It always irks me when people come on here and other sites questioning the length of time to build and test a new attraction. There are so many variables involved in building a new attraction, many of which aren't visible to the untrained eye. I assure though, they will get it open as quickly as possible so it can start drawing more guests in.

I agree. The more time they spend with the build is less time they have with the attraction open and the area clogged up with equipment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom