SSE: "Your time machine is rotating backwards"

Kevin_W

Original Poster
Does anyone know why they have this on continuous loop at the top of SSE? I'm know it's minor, but this is a pet peeve of mine on this ride. SSE is my favorite dark ride at WDW and this looping announcement over top of the beautiful score is annoying.

Everest doesn't tell you that you will be going backwards. Frozen doesn't tell you that your boat will be going backwards. Why do they need a recording on the slow-moving SSE?

JIMINYCR

EE is a thrill ride and they want you to to stay in the moment so theres no announcement. Frozen point of going backwards isnt extreme or at a steep angle so an announcement isnt needed. SSE point of going backwards is at a more steep decline which pushes you backwards into the seat so Disney figures you need a warning is my guess. I also find the announcement awkward and changes the ride flow.

WelshBatman

Disney does this to limit liability. They install warnings (sometimes overbearingly so) so in case someone does something stupid (and they will) Disney doesn't have to pay so much out in the inevitable lawsuit. No matter how many times life tells you not to do something, someone always does it anyway. Common sense is the least common of the senses.

People have gotten out and tried to walk the stages on Spaceship Earth (the cameras were installed to try to stop this). I do also believe that once someone did fall and sustained some fairly serious injuries (I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere). The spiel saying your vehicle is rotating backwards for your return to earth is there so that in case you freak out at the end of a 14 minute dark ride and decide to flee the scene due to some weird panicked reaction, you won't be collecting much, if any, from a lawsuit.

Cmdr_Crimson

OH They WARN You.....Your Just not looking where you should....
ak_ee39.jpg
frozen-ever-after-warning-sign.jpg

WelshBatman

OH They WARN You.....Your Just not looking where you should....

Exactly, they warn everyone on every ride. Even the guy who tried to sue Disney over the Tower of Terror was warned. He said that the signs said nothing about what was in the ride...

I think with SSE though they add the audio warning because it's slow enough and you're not restricted from moving in the ride so if you want to get out you can...

Everest, it's harder to do so because of the lapbar and how quickly it moves.

Cmdr_Crimson

Also keep in mind SSE Was a totally new concept when ride vehicles rotated backwards while riding in the 80's and no other attraction had done anything like this at that time. So they keep it in there as your way high up and about to decend down...

WelshBatman

I don't have an issue with the notice. But what I've always been baffled by is why that particular spiel is done off-board. The cars have on-board speakers - play it through those! All they had to do was add an extra trackside cue during the 2007 refurb.

I get what you're saying... Maybe they don't have as much faith in the onboard system (as it does cut out every now and then) and they need that warning in that one place so they decided to keep it off-board so no one can claim they didn't hear it.

Cmdr_Crimson

I don't have an issue with the notice. But what I've always been baffled by is why that particular spiel is done off-board. The cars have on-board speakers - play it through those! All they had to do was add an extra trackside cue during the 2007 refurb.

Well, it sounds better than the female voice that was a bit louder during the Irons version as the guy voicing it now seems much lower and quieter...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Onboard audio has a much higher probability of failure vs a non-moving external audio source.

KBLovedDisney

Yeah but the Irons version had a better narration and score making it less painfully obvious.
Also, when AT&T sponsored the Irons version, I distinctly remember, "Welcome to the Global Neighborhood" narration at the end...

Not important, but I miss it...along with everything else that was in the Jeremy Irons version (especially the descent)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom