SSE Postshow/New Turtle Talk/Character Spot

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I am going to miss the Fountainview cafe, sorry to hear that is being closed down. Also from the last picture you posted outside the CC, it appears that the carpet with the old Communicore Logo may be not be around much longer.

The Fountainview is closed right now, but it's not neccessarily going to not reopen. Signs merely redirect people to Sunshine Seasons for breakfast, and as far as I can tell, no work has occured inside that part of the building. It's just that i you went inside Fountainview you'd be able to see all the work occuring inside the old Pasta Piazza. (You can't even go up the steps to the Fountainview's outside seating areas right now - they're stantioned off, but not behind rehab walls - none of the Fountainview is)

jeffb

The Fountainview is closed right now, but it's not neccessarily going to not reopen. Signs merely redirect people to Sunshine Seasons for breakfast, and as far as I can tell, no work has occured inside that part of the building. It's just that i you went inside Fountainview you'd be able to see all the work occuring inside the old Pasta Piazza. (You can't even go up the steps to the Fountainview's outside seating areas right now - they're stantioned off, but not behind rehab walls - none of the Fountainview is)

Mousemerf - thanks for the clarification and the original news!

lpet11984

Thanks, Merf- for the information and the pics. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person when it's done! I'm hoping SSE is done by this summer...

And I too am glad that Fountainview might not close permanently- I always loved getting my chocolate croissant in the morning and watching the fountain to start my day in Epcot.

Katya

Funny, leave work for a weekor two and they change it all. Should be interesting to get back to SSE, that's for sure.

Imaginationeer

And I too am glad that Fountainview might not close permanently- I always loved getting my chocolate croissant in the morning and watching the fountain to start my day in Epcot.

Viva la Chocolate Croissant! I think i would be depressed if Fountain view never returned. It is the only place to get a good breakfast in Epcot. Another note would be that the new name of CC, will not be the character spot. It will be named Character Works.

Jerm

Where are the new pics?!?!?!? I can't wait to see what is going on with it all. I am glad they turned it into a waiting area not a queue, it will make it all more fun.

J

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, turns out there's really not much more to see besides what I photographed before because...

They're not finished :(

Immediately out of view from yesterdays photos was the actual entrance and the displays flanking it, which were covered in blue curtains. Those two flanking displays aren't done - but are definately in some way remnants of "Mr Ray's Lagoon" from the previous use of the room.

Essentially you enter into what would of been the middle of Mr Ray's Lagoon, and they've taken that blue tile that was all around his Lagoon thing and run it up the columns and walls there. I peeked into one of the blue curtains and there's a picture of one of sharks (the hammerhead) from the movie painted on the back of the wall. The areas are lit by overhead lighting, suggesting they'll be some sort of open pools.

They haven't figured out the waiting area/queue setup really yet. As it stands, they just split the big circular space behind the Turtle Talk wall until the doors in half with stantions. That holds about 1-show worth of people, which is LOTS of people now.

After the 15-20 wait, folks file down between the blue curtained displays and through a photocell (it counts people) and under some interesting chanderlier lights that sort of look like jellyfish. Sort of like ventilation duct at the same time too... They're odd, I didn't take any photos because of the mass of people i'd blind in the low light, sorry guys.

You go down a fairly short zig-zag hallway, and enter into the old Preshow theater, now Turtle Talk, on the right hand side near the screen. It's awkward and makes it a little difficult to find a seat. Everyone eventually settles down, and though they stated repeatedly that everyone should scoot over so everyone could sit down and there were enough seats for everyone - some people still stood against the walls.

The screen is bigger then before, but not too big to be believeable. Everything in the theater is treated in aquamarine, and the theater still has the old 2-lighting bay setup that it had previously when it was for The Living Seas. It just feels physically "shorter." All the seats have been removed, no seat backs, just block-style benches now, which are metallic aquamarine with a wave sort of pattern on them.

Same show as always, tons of room up front for kids, and there is a front row of low benches reserved just for kids.

You exit out to the right, through the middle and back doors on the same wall you entered the theater from. Those put you into the Seas with Nemo and Friends queue, but on the "bypass" walkway. This creates a bit of a traffic jam, though it is large for a queue or walkway itself, it's not big enough for people to wait for their parties to exit the theater.

Overall, same cute show, but they're definately not done - or atleast I hope not ;) The waiting area needs something more, and not just the exhibits that are going to open. It needs more organization. Just holding people in a big open space without much direction doesn't really work.

Then there's the "new" area itself. The holding room is ok, but as soon as you get to what was Mr. Ray's Lagoon you've seemingly left Sea Base and gone into some odd roman bath. The jellyfish duct-work flowers didn't help. I just think changing the wall treatments so drasticly and then adding such striking new decorative elements that aren't seen anywhere else in any form make it so jarring... So, it's done though, we'll have to see what they come up with.

Oh, peeked into the old Turtle Talk. It's all dirt and ladders and other construction junk.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very interesting, Merf. Thanks. Can I ask for some pics (if possible) or video (again, if possible) of entering and exiting the theatre? Trying to figure out where they went through the walls to get into the theatre. And it sounds like they are using the old exit AND entry doors of The Seas to get you out. Messy!

They haven't figured out the waiting area/queue setup really yet. As it stands, they just split the big circular space behind the Turtle Talk wall until the doors in half with stantions. That holds about 1-show worth of people, which is LOTS of people now.
Overall, same cute show, but they're definately not done - or atleast I hope not ;) The waiting area needs something more, and not just the exhibits that are going to open. It needs more organization. Just holding people in a big open space without much direction doesn't really work.
quote]

Right now it seams every day we are trying somethign new, as to how we are handling the queuing area.

Early on it was going to have a defined queue, but at somepoint that was scraped.

We know it ain't working, hopefully we can figure out somehting, cause it aint to good so far.

But the new space is nice, just very akward to enter, especialy for wc and evc's

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
quote]

Right now it seams every day we are trying somethign new, as to how we are handling the queuing area.

Early on it was going to have a defined queue, but at somepoint that was scraped.

We know it ain't working, hopefully we can figure out somehting, cause it aint to good so far.

But the new space is nice, just very akward to enter, especialy for wc and evc's

Tell them this: You need a countdown clock (the show must have some sort of "countdown" once it actually starts, no?) and that big center spot with the pretty water effect is a prime location for something. Centrally forcused - it's a circular room - focus everything to the center until you load.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom