SPOILERS: WandaVision Discussion / Reactions to Most Recent Episodes

UNCgolf

I disagree, I think most viewers will understand if the story is told well. I mean how many times has a tv show replaced an actor and it not affect viewership.

Pretty rarely, right? I don't think I've ever watched a show where they replaced an actor. The only show I can think of off the top of my head that famously replaced an actor is Bewitched -- I'm sure there have been a few others, but it's certainly not something that's happened with any regularity. I think soap operas have done it occasionally but that's not really comparable to something like the MCU.

The Harry Potter films did it, but that was out of necessity. They obviously had to have a Dumbledore and the original actor died. No one was going to complain about that recasting.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pretty rarely, right? I don't think I've ever watched a show where they replaced an actor. The only show I can think of off the top of my head that famously replaced an actor is Bewitched -- I'm sure there are probably a few others, but it's certainly not something that's happened with any regularity. I think soap operas have done it occasionally but that's not really comparable to something like the MCU.
Actually it happens more than you realize. From the Aunt Vivian change in Fresh Prince to the “Two Becky’s” on the original Roseanne show, it’s not uncommon to see an actor get replaced on a tv show.

Phicinfan

I don't think it's really a big concern for the MCU.

Characters aren't going to come back from death very often because actors will age out or simply be ready to move on from the MCU. You're almost certainly not going to see Tony Stark resurrected, for one.
By all reports Black Widow is also permanently gone - replaced by her sister from movie yet to be released....

UNCgolf

Actually it happens more than you realize. From the Aunt Vivian change in Fresh Prince to the “Two Becky’s” on the original Roseanne show, it’s not uncommon to see an actor get replaced on a tv show.

Those are two more major examples that I'd forgotten about.

It absolutely is uncommon, though. I'd wager it happens in less than 1% of all TV shows -- especially if we're talking about actually successful shows that lasted for more than one or two seasons. It's probably happened slightly more often with side characters, but it's very rare to have one of the main characters replaced with another actor.

UNCgolf

BTW it’s already been done in the MCU too. Mark Ruffalo replaced Edward Norton as Hulk. Everyone forgets but Edward Norton’s Hulk movie is part of the MCU.

That's why it worked, though. Nobody cared about the Ed Norton Hulk movie -- I'm pretty sure it actually lost money. It's one of two MCU films I haven't seen.

Huge difference between replacing an actor who was in one failed movie and replacing an actor who became synonymous with the role. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think you'd see a lot of angry people if they brought Tony Stark or Steve Rogers back within the next 5 years and it wasn't RDJ or Chris Evans, respectively.

They could probably do it 15+ years down the road, though, if the MCU is still going by then.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Those are two more major examples that I forgot about.

It absolutely is uncommon, though. I'd wager it happens in less than 1% of all TV shows.

I’m not going to bet, but it’s more than 1%. Too many tv shows and too many actors over tv history for it to be less than 1%.

As I mentioned it’s already happened in the MCU with Mark Ruffalo replacing Edward Norton as Bruce Banner. And it’s not likely to be the last either. I mean just look at now 3 actors playing Spider-Man, all of which will now be in the MCU and canon.

So we’ll just wait and see what happens.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's why it worked, though. Nobody cared about the Ed Norton Hulk movie -- I'm pretty sure it actually lost money. It's one of two MCU films I haven't seen.

Huge difference between replacing an actor who was in one failed movie and replacing an actor who became synonymous with the role. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think you'd see a lot of angry people if they brought Iron Man or Captain America back within the next 5 years and it wasn't RDJ or Chris Evans, respectively.

They could probably do it 15+ years down the road, though, if the MCU is still going by then.
We are literally going to see this play out in 2 of the next MCU movies, Spider-Man: No Way Home and Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. They will be having different actors playing the various characters, including Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Which goes back to my point, as long as the storytelling is good the audience will understand and accept it.

Wendy Pleakley

I disagree, I think most viewers will understand if the story is told well. I mean how many times has a tv show replaced an actor and it not affect viewership.

Anyways we’ll see who’s right very soon. Dr Strange 2 is rumored to have different actors playing the various characters from the MCU including Tony. If successful you may even see some of those actors and versions of the characters stick around.

Leave rumors and potential spoilers for other movies out of this thread.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Leave rumors and potential spoilers for other movies out of this thread.
I appreciate your comment, but it’s literally a spoiler thread about a show in the MCU that itself is/was suppose to lead into the movies talked about. It’s bound to have at least some discussion about potential rumors/spoilers of those movies, which had already happened before my post in this thread anyways.

Wendy Pleakley

I appreciate your comment, but it’s literally a spoiler thread about a show in the MCU that itself is/was suppose to lead into the movies talked about. It’s bound to have at least some discussion about potential rumors/spoilers of those movies, which had already happened before my post in this thread anyways.

It’s a thread to discuss WandaVision. How hard is it to put specifics about other movies in spoiler tags?

UNCgolf

We are literally going to see this play out in 2 of the next MCU movies, Spider-Man: No Way Home and Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. They will be having different actors playing the various characters, including Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Which goes back to my point, as long as the storytelling is good the audience will understand and accept it.

Spider-Man isn't replacing the character with a new actor. That's a totally different situation.

As for the other thing, pretty sure that won't be happening unless it's a minor one-off kind of thing.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

And Don Cheadle replacing Terrence Howard.

He's another example somewhat like Norton. Iron Man was far more successful than Hulk, but Howard's character was minor. I think he was in the movie for like 5 minutes total.

Regardless, I didn't intend to imply you simply can't switch actors. I meant for major characters (as I specified in one of my earlier posts). There is a huge difference between replacing people like Norton and Howard and replacing one of the centerpiece characters of the franchise.

I'm surprised people think everyone would be totally fine with an Iron Man 4 coming out in 2023 with someone else playing the exact same Tony Stark. A separate universe/dimension version of Tony Stark is something different and more doable, but I doubt we will see that happen either unless it's just a minor cameo.

Marvel has way too many other characters they can use to bother doing stuff like that anytime in the near future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Spider-Man isn't replacing the character with a new actor. That's a totally different situation.

As for the other thing, pretty sure that won't be happening unless it's a minor one-off kind of thing.
It wasn’t a totally different thing as the Spider-Man franchise was literally rebooted twice each time with a different actor. That will be part of the MCU shortly.

As for the rest of your comment we’ll just have to see what happens, but don’t be surprised if it’s not a “minor one-off thing”.

Anyways long story short since this has gone on long enough, just don’t be surprised or upset when a standard comic book trope is used in a comic book movie.

Last edited:

NateD1226

So the director of the series just did an interview and shared how the pandemic hurt the finale and series overall. There were a lot of cool tidbits so I'm just gonna highlight some of the important things, but the video is in the article if you'd like to check it out.

-Finale was finished two weeks before the release date
-Originally supposed to be 10 episodes with the first 3 coming out on the same day
-The engineer tease was 100% on purpose, but he was worried that it was going to be very disappointing when people started thinking it was Reed Richards.
-Lots of CGI shots were rushed and put awkwardly into the final cut of the finale
-Monica was even originally going to have a bigger role in the finale, such as her, the kids, Ralph, and Darcy trying to steal the Darkhold from the basement.
-The bunny Scratchy was a demon but they couldn't finish the VFX on time for it

Not mentioned in the article, but I think the pandemic also affected the Doctor Strange cameo that had been rumored by multiple insiders. Sucks that everything got cut down due to the pandemic. The article is here if you would like to check it out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom