SPOILERS: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One of my issues with the Netflix shows being canon to the MCU timeline is the lack of continuity between the version of Kingpin in the Netflix show vs Disney+. This, let alone the fact that Cottonmouth from Luke Cage and Blade are both played by Mahershala Ali, among other continuity errors.

To me it's much easier now with the multiverse established, to assume the Netflix shows, ABC shows, Hulu, etc (basically anything but Disney+ shows) took place in alternate universes.

That allows people like Kingpin to be re-established in the MCU timeline as his own character in Hawkeye, similar to how there are many versions of Kang in alternate universes with slightly different characteristics.
I understand it can be messy when it comes to continuity, but that is why you have "retcon".

spacemt354

Chili's
I understand it can be messy when it comes to continuity, but that is why you have "retcon".
Retcon in what direction though?

When Daredevil and Jessica Jones came out in 2015, I assumed them to be canon along with the ABC shows Agents of Shield and Agent Carter, via references to the Battle of New York, London battle, guest stars from the films, etc

It was only over time that the continuity between those shows began to dissipate as Feige's role became more streamlined as did the MCU itself. It then seemed like quietly those shows were no longer MCU canon. However the fan following, particularly for Daredevil, kept going and with all these multiversal films and shows - there's a reasonable way for fans to have their cake and eat it too, with actors reprising their roles of title characters but as slightly different versions for the main MCU timeline.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Retcon in what direction though?
Easy, it'll always be retcon'd toward the main MCU timeline.

When Daredevil and Jessica Jones came out in 2015, I assumed them to be canon along with the ABC shows Agents of Shield and Agent Carter, via references to the Battle of New York, London battle, guest stars from the films, etc

It was only over time that the continuity between those shows began to dissipate as Feige's role became more streamlined as did the MCU itself. It then seemed like quietly those shows were no longer MCU canon. However the fan following, particularly for Daredevil, kept going and with all these multiversal films and shows - there's a reasonable way for fans to have their cake and eat it too, with actors reprising their roles of title characters but as slightly different versions for the main MCU timeline.
Well until there is an official "MCU Timeline Explained" coffee book by Marvel this is all going to be fan driven with questions and disputes.

spacemt354

Chili's
So count me among those who are not happy with how they handled Wanda in this movie. Making her the villain was fine but having her be straight up evil was upsetting - I mean, she basically had no qualms about straight up killing multiple innocent people and was fine with letting America and a potential other version of herself die just to get what she wants. I get the idea of the Darkhold corrupting her but was just taking too many steps too far.

Just have her knock people out instead of killing (or threatening to kill) them and having her at least be conflicted about taking America's power maybe trying to do it in a way that "might" leave her alive but be willing to accept her dying if need be. She just didn't have to be so callous.

Or at least make her descent more into malevolence by using the Darkhold more and more through the movie to show it wasn't her in control or something.

I thought WandaVision did a great of making her sympathetic while acknowledging she was "wrong" and allowed her to make some amends. This felt lke a bigundoing to all that.
I very much agree with this. In some respects, I think we could have spent more time with her 'falling' to the Darkhold.

It would be like if Revenge of the Sith started and Anakin was already Darth Vader.

Her relationship not only to her children, but to Vision and Quicksilver were the driving forces behind her grief. In some respects I think this film would have been able to do more justice to that arc if Wanda was the main character and this was a Wanda film. Dr. Strange is a strong lead, but I actually think his shining moments were all in Infinity War as a side-character.

Both of his solo films now I didn't find particularly near the top of my MCU list.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Easy, it'll always be retcon'd toward the main MCU timeline.

Well until there is an official "MCU Timeline Explained" coffee book by Marvel this is all going to be fan driven with questions and disputes.
"The Comic Book Way" to deal with all this is to put stories that conflict with each other in separate parallel universes.

Then, you have a Cosmic Battle in which universes are colliding ("incursions!") or being destroyed somehow one by one.

In The Final Battle, all seems lost and destroyed until a valiant sacrifice restarts all reality.

This cosmological reboot creates just one, new universe in which all the events that the authors liked of the previous universes are then smashed together as now co-existing in the one, new universe.

Any conflicts are then retcon as a result of the universal smash-up.

And everything is now nice and tidy.

Until an author comes along with a new story that really doesn't fit the one, new universe. And then it is explained as being from a parallel universe.

And the whole thing starts over again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"The Comic Book Way" to deal with all this is to put stories that conflict with each other in separate parallel universes.

Then, you have a Cosmic Battle in which universes are colliding ("incursions!") or being destroyed somehow one by one.

In The Final Battle, all seems lost and destroyed until a valiant sacrifice restarts all reality.

This cosmological reboot creates just one, new universe in which all the events that the authors liked of the previous universes are then smashed together as now co-existing in the one, new universe.

Any conflicts are then retcon as a result of the universal smash-up.

And everything is now nice and tidy.

Until an author comes along with a new story that really doesn't fit the one, new universe. And then it is explained as being from a parallel universe.

And the whole thing starts over again.
Hmm, if only there was a story line like that happening in the MCU.....

Oh wait.....

;)

MarvelCharacterNerd

…must be those people that didn’t pay $18 at the box office, huh?

Thor and Buzz Lightyear gonna be HUGE!!
That was me! ;) I haven't been to a movie since pre-pandemic, but I watched it on D+ its first day.

I'll be watching Thor the day it drops on D+, too.

But not Lightyear. :p

For No Way Home, I had to wait for the day it came out on Blu-Ray since it wasn't going to D+. That was a LONG wait!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom