SPOILERS: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

khlaylav

Original Poster
With the social media and review embargo done as of today, there's leaks about the movie flying around. Just wanted to create the official spoiler thread so people can talk about it.

Ghost93

I didn't like a lot of the writing choices made, but I will say I was NEVER bored during the film. It was 2 straight hours of nonstop action and suspense!

The best and worst thing about the movie is the Scarlet Witch herself. At a conceptual level, I disliked that the movie essentially undid all of the character growth and self-sacrifice Wanda made in WandaVision by turning her into a psychopathic horror-movie murderer. That being said, since that's the direction they decided to go, I'm glad they had fun with it. Elisabeth Olsen did a PHENOMENAL job as Evil Wanda. She stole the show and was extremely scary! There was a bit of a campy element to all of the performances at times, which I personally enjoyed, though I understand others may not.

DonaldDoleWhip

Slay, Wanda - she absolutely carried the movie IMO.

The best and worst thing about the movie is the Scarlet Witch herself. At a conceptual level, I disliked that the movie essentially undid all of the character growth and self-sacrifice Wanda made in WandaVision by turning her into a psychopathic horror-movie murderer. That being said, since that's the direction they decided to go, I'm glad they had fun with it. Elisabeth Olsen did a PHENOMENAL job as Evil Wanda. She stole the show and was extremely scary! There was a bit of a campy element to all of the performances at times, which I personally enjoyed, though I understand others may not.
I get why people are saying that (re. undoing Wanda’s arc), but at least there was an in-universe explanation via the corrupting power of the Darkhold.

Worked for me, and from that point on she totally owned. I can’t wait to see more of her.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Did it really undo the arc in WandaVision, no I don't think so. It was a continuation of that same arc, hence the end credit scene in the last episode where she is reading the Darkhold and hears Billy and Tommy's voices. Its not like by the end of WandaVision she completely dealt with her grief. She is still a mother grieving at the loss of her children who would do anything to get them back and protect them given the chance. And the movie shows the great lengths she takes to do just that, including potentially killing the other versions of herself across the multiverse and the multiverse itself. By the end of this film her arc is complete, the journey she went through in WandaVision ended here.

Also if you know the comics any this is exactly how Wanda is portrayed. So its fairly comic accurate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I highly enjoyed it. It did feel like a Evil Dead or other Sam Raimi film with the campy humor, thriller, and horror aspects. So some may not like it if you're not into those type of films.

The trailer did give away a lot of the key scenes, so they still need to do something about that.

LSLS

I liked it, but I think there was the potential to be one of my favorites that didn't deliver. I hated the ending where Wanda I guess buried herself, and I can't figure out how that is supposed to kill her. I also want to see a lot more of her powers now that we are finally really showcasing her. And as some of said, I'm bummed there wasn't some larger evil figure involved that can cross through multiple storylines that was behind all this. Also it does feel weird to me that in a movie about the multiverse where they are traveling across multiple universes with a superhero who's power is to do such a thing, not even a hint of the TVA comes through.

That said, that movie was so fast paced, and at no point was I ever the least bit bored (or even could take a breath). It was super fun, and honestly I feel like there's a lot I probably missed on just that first viewing. This was good and it's most likely in my upper half of favorite MCU movies, but I'm not sure I thought it was executed quite as well as No Way Home or delivered as much as I had hoped.

DonaldDoleWhip

I’m glad others found it fun and fast-paced (seeing this a lot), but I was more bored than I’ve been in a long time watching a Marvel movie.

Really the highlight was seeing psycho Wanda wreck things up. I know people are mad that:
  • she played into the grieving mother trope (yet we saw how badly she grieved in WandaVision)
  • she was corrupted by the Darkhold when Agatha wasn’t (Agatha also was much more stable and had a stronger grasp of her own powers)
  • she didn’t do anything to find Vision (I can see why that would be second priority to her children; he could be remade)
  • she wasn’t powerful enough (really?) and was almost too powerful when she swept through the cameos (that was awesome, and they could always come back through the multiverse)
Still, I found her to be a delight as the villain, and Elizabeth Olsen continues to crush what she’s given. Loved the visual homage to Ringu/The Ring and other horror classics as she limped around.

Ghost93

she was corrupted by the Darkhold when Agatha wasn’t (Agatha also was much more stable and had a stronger grasp of her own powers)
I will say, after seeing how evil Wanda got in Multiverse of Madness, Agatha doesn't seem so bad anymore, lol. I actually kept thinking a few times "Maybe Agatha was right to try to steal Wanda's power?"

BrianLo

Liked it, didn't love it for the reason that I too was meh on Wanda's arc. I get it, but I wanted Wanda to have her moment; she also chose to give up her family and children at the end of WandaVision. Maybe she isn't actually dead though and a less insane Wanda will return after destroying the darkhold.

Animaniac93-98

Also if you know the comics any this is exactly how Wanda is portrayed. So its fairly comic accurate.

Saying something is "comic accurate" isn't always a positive. Civil War deviated from its comic origins, and was better for it.

I can see why Wanda stans were not happy with this. There wasn't much build up or wind down to her being full Disney villain evil.

That said, this was at its most enjoyable when it was a shameless horror movie and at its weakest when it was a regular MCU movie. Having so much of the run time focus on Doctor Strange and his unrequited love interest reminded me of how little I care about either.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

My audiences reaction:

Reed Richards: Everyone clapped and cheered

Prof Xavier: Polite golf clap

Captain Carter: One...ONE person clapped.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Saying something is "comic accurate" isn't always a positive. Civil War deviated from its comic origins, and was better for it.

I can see why Wanda stans were not happy with this. There wasn't much build up or wind down to her being full Disney villain evil.

That said, this was at its most enjoyable when it was a shameless horror movie and at its weakest when it was a regular MCU movie. Having so much of the run time focus on Doctor Strange and his unrequited love interest reminded me of how little I care about either.
But to say there was a complete arc in WandaVision is also not accurate, as all it ended with is Wanda running and hiding in a cabin reading the Dark Hold. That isn't a wind down, that is a cliff hanger, which was completed here. So to me this was a completion of that arc that started in WandaVision and ended with the events of Multiverse of Madness.

BTW, it was in the title of the movie all along. Multiverse of Madness = MoM.

Animaniac93-98

But to say there was a complete arc in WandaVision is also not accurate, as all it ended with is Wanda running and hiding in a cabin reading the Dark Hold. That isn't a wind down, that is a cliff hanger, which was completed here.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Not that Olsen deserves any of the blame. She's a professional who gave it 100% as always.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
That one person obviously saw What If......
I was, I think, pleasantly surprised by the plot. The trailer led me to think that this would be a live action remake of the What If…Doctor Strange episode, because we saw so many of the creatures that he “absorbed” in that story.

So even though I was pleased that they didn’t go there exactly, I’m not sure what to make of this story. I was delighted to see Captain Carter, and totally dismayed by her end.

I‘m not happy that they took an Avenger and made her a villain (and as a woman, am particularly displeased that they took one of few female Avengers and made her the big bad). I don’t like the “turn on friends and family” plot device, it’s the reason that CA: Civil War was one and done for me. This is close to the same, although the last 15-20 minutes maybe saved it.

I’m still processing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom