SPOILERS! Discussion/reaction thread for Loki streaming Marvel series on Disney+ - new episodes begin June 9th!

gerarar

Premium Member
Not necessarily; if by the end of Loki the TVA is somehow destabilized and multiverses are deregulated even temporarily (how could No Way Home/Multiverse of Madness occur if the TVA is still regulating the Sacred Timeline?), then AoS could exist in one of those variant timelines.
Hmm that is plausible. But then wouldn’t TVA intervene right away when Fury tried to revive Coulson in Project Tahiti before the destabilization of the TVA since Coulson is supposed to remain “dead”? Obviously time works differently with them involved so it’s all just a huge head-scratcher rn.

Phicinfan

For those who think this trivializes the Infinity Stones.... welcome to the world of comic books that enter the cosmic realm.

Characters such as Thor (and his orbit) deal with ever higher levels of cosmic entities and powers... even working up to Marvel's version of God. Lower level characters sometimes get a power boost and temporarily enter these realms.

For lowly creatures stuck in the mundane world, the Infinity Stones are too powerful to hold and comprehend, they destroy you.

For gifted individuals, they can carefully use the Infinity Stones if they're cautious (Hulk, Vision).

For higher powered individuals (Titans, those powered up by the Infinity Stones), the Infinity Stones can be wielded carefully for their own purposes.

For even higher powered entities, such as the Celestials, the Infinity Stones are easily channeled.

For beings with cosmic power, the Infinity Stones are easily manipulated.

For multi-versal and multi-dimensional eternal entities with cosmic powers, the Infinity Stones are a play thing.

The universe created the Infinity Stones. For beings that exist outside the universe or live through the death of a previous universe into the current one... if they can control cosmic/universal power, then the Infinity Stones are trivial to them... except when some lower level creature collects them to power up to the cosmic level and upset the balance.

But this power differential is a common theme throughout the comics. You have street level vigilantes saving one person or one neighborhood at a time. Then you have super powered people saving the globe. Then you have cosmic-powered individuals saving galaxies, or the whole universe, or multiple dimensions.

Like Hawkeye might feel about Thor in power differential. Loki, who fashions himself as a god, finds there's a bigger power and level of existence to which he is inconsequential... up to now. How else do you have a struggle that is a challenge for a god?
Yes, I get this, it is established in the comics this way.

However, as we all know, the MCU does not always strictly stand by what has been established in the Comics. So to your point, for this to make sense, they need to use this series to establish this. Or IMO, you nerfed the main focus of the first 10 years of the MCU for no reason at all.

To that point, I HOPE beyond hope that this series leads to establishing those key power statuses, including tie in for Eternals, some mention of Dormamu and or Galactus and tying in all the space and God power levels.

dreday3

Well we liked it, but at the moment I still am more excited with the previews. :D
The episode was solid, but it didn't draw me in and simultaneously blow me away like WandaVision did. We will keep watching because first episodes are rarely the best.

And I just enjoy Owen Wilson.

DCLcruiser

Love ep1. This is probably my favorite start out of the 3 shows so far.

If anyone watch Agents of Shield, obviously Coulson isn't "dead" (well even that is debatable after s7). So with Coulson being confirmed as "dead dead" in Loki when they did Loki's dead people segment/review, did Marvel just decanonize AoS? If so, that's sad. This would've been the perfect show to officially canon AoS and maybe have a cameo or two.
According to the Youtubers, AoS was uncanonized a while ago. For example, the Darkhold in WV is different from AoS.

Wendy Pleakley

This show didn't grab me in the way WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier did. A lot of exposition but no big set piece or wow factor.

The TVA with its' retro futuristic vibe was fun.

If anyone watch Agents of Shield, obviously Coulson isn't "dead" (well even that is debatable after s7). So with Coulson being confirmed as "dead dead" in Loki when they did Loki's dead people segment/review, did Marvel just decanonize AoS? If so, that's sad. This would've been the perfect show to officially canon AoS and maybe have a cameo or two.

Kevin Feige is in charge of all things Marvel but had no control over the series. I get the impression he's just not interested in drawing from it. Had he had creative input it's likely AoS would have been done in a way to tie into the larger MCU.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, I get this, it is established in the comics this way.

However, as we all know, the MCU does not always strictly stand by what has been established in the Comics. So to your point, for this to make sense, they need to use this series to establish this. Or IMO, you nerfed the main focus of the first 10 years of the MCU for no reason at all.

To that point, I HOPE beyond hope that this series leads to establishing those key power statuses, including tie in for Eternals, some mention of Dormamu and or Galactus and tying in all the space and God power levels.
Well we already know that Phase 4 will focus a lot on the cosmic side of the MCU. And if they pull from the comics "The Living Tribunal" is the most powerful entity outside of "The One-Above-All", who created everything. Living Tribunal oversees the entire Multiverse in Marvel, and is suppose to ensure the Infinity Stones (Gems) aren't used in unison. So Phase 4 could show this entity during Doctor Strange 2 as we venture further into the Multiverse.

And just like the comics just because "X" is the most powerful in "Y" story doesn't mean that there isn't a "Z" that is more powerful in the next story. That doesn't cause "X" to become nerfed or make "Y" any less important of a story, just means there is something bigger and more powerful out there as the story continues.

As a side note, Living Tribunal was already mentioned in the MCU once. In Doctor Strange, Mordo's staff is called "The Staff of the Living Tribunal".

MarvelCharacterNerd

Original Poster
For those who think this trivializes the Infinity Stones.... welcome to the world of comic books that enter the cosmic realm.

Characters such as Thor (and his orbit) deal with ever higher levels of cosmic entities and powers... even working up to Marvel's version of God. Lower level characters sometimes get a power boost and temporarily enter these realms.

For lowly creatures stuck in the mundane world, the Infinity Stones are too powerful to hold and comprehend, they destroy you.

For gifted individuals, they can carefully use the Infinity Stones if they're cautious (Hulk, Vision).

For higher powered individuals (Titans, those powered up by the Infinity Stones), the Infinity Stones can be wielded carefully for their own purposes.

For even higher powered entities, such as the Celestials, the Infinity Stones are easily channeled.

For beings with cosmic power, the Infinity Stones are easily manipulated.

For multi-versal and multi-dimensional eternal entities with cosmic powers, the Infinity Stones are a play thing.

The universe created the Infinity Stones. For beings that exist outside the universe or live through the death of a previous universe into the current one... if they can control cosmic/universal power, then the Infinity Stones are trivial to them... except when some lower level creature collects them to power up to the cosmic level and upset the balance.

But this power differential is a common theme throughout the comics. You have street level vigilantes saving one person or one neighborhood at a time. Then you have super powered people saving the globe. Then you have cosmic-powered individuals saving galaxies, or the whole universe, or multiple dimensions.

Like Hawkeye might feel about Thor in power differential. Loki, who fashions himself as a god, finds there's a bigger power and level of existence to which he is inconsequential... up to now. How else do you have a struggle that is a challenge for a god?
Beautifully put.

I still dream of a day when we'll seek Kobik onscreen. Even if just in an animated series like "What If?"

Lucky Rabbit

Shield was never going to be a part of the "sacred timeline" as they're now calling it. Otherwise there'd be teams of Inhumans running around the films. But I wouldn't get too worried about what we've learned so far. It seems apparent, despite the TVA's best efforts, the multiverse keeps trying to restore itself. Otherwise variants wouldn't keep happening.
Not necessarily; if by the end of Loki the TVA is somehow destabilized and multiverses are deregulated even temporarily (how could No Way Home/Multiverse of Madness occur if the TVA is still regulating the Sacred Timeline?), then AoS could exist in one of those variant timelines.
Not to mention Strange looked into 14 million different futures, and we're getting What If? later this summer. I'm glad that the guy who wrote Loki also wrote Doctor Strange 2. It seems like things could have gotten really messy otherwise.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is was nothing something I caught live.

That's what the vlogosphere is going with.

Clickety click!

Tho, I wish. It would be a way to retcon Agent Carter and AoS into the MCU when the Sacred Timelines breaks.

C'mon Feige! Ming-Nw Wen is a Disney Legend from Disney Animation to Star Wars and Agents of Shield. You can't keep a Disney Legend out of the MCU!!!

DCLcruiser

That's what the vlogosphere is going with.

Clickety click!

Tho, I wish. It would be a way to retcon Agent Carter and AoS into the MCU when the Sacred Timelines breaks.

C'mon Feige! Ming-Nw Wen is a Disney Legend from Disney Animation to Star Wars and Agents of Shield. You can't keep a Disney Legend out of the MCU!!!
When Capt. goes back and lives his life w/ Peggy, that messes up her timeline. So the TVA has to step in. That could get her into the MCU.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Original Poster
Putting this here rather than in the park thread due to general spoilers from the first episode:

Unsurprisingly, the best gift this show may have given to me was its effect on Avengers Campus, if only temporarily. :)

At the park this weekend, Variant Loki was meeting guests along with a TVA guard keeping a watchful eye on him. And we ALL had a blast!

From Loki, who in the midst of the summer heat was no doubt enjoying being in a short sleeved TVA jumpsuit and sneakers rather than his usual royal garb, cape and boots, though of course he bemoaned the loss of proper Asgardian fashion lol...

To the TVA Guard who was unfortunately tasked to keep a close eye on the trickster and was not helped by all the Loki fans (myself included lol) who kept trying to distract him so Loki could escape - he rarely fell for it, but we tried!

But most especially for the fans - OMG it was so much fun watching Loki fiddling with his TVA collar or trying to sneak off or mess with the Avengers equipment every time the guard would look away or protesting being in custody plus the bonus of giving the fans a new way to interact and new terminology to play with. The guard didn't really buy my attempts to distract him with tales of escaping variants and concern for the sacred timeline lol, but it made for a terrific playtime with him and Loki. And while I enjoy the usual brotherly rivalry, having Loki at the park really get to play out a new adventure that didn't involve Thor was gratifying - just like watching him on his own in this show without all the Asgardian baggage.

I was actually shocked at the number of people who did recognize Loki in his tan jumpsuit besides all the diehard Loki fans. He's easily recognizable with the usual horns but I was pleased at the number of people who were aware of the new series and had watched the first episode. Though my attention to the series props on subtle display in a corner of the land also got people's curiosity up once they realized what they were.

I'll post pics and video of Loki and the guard when I have time later this week and will share here in case anyone is curious what the first episode spawned in the park. There still are indications that there will be further wardrobe changes to come at the park in the coming weeks with future episodes and I may not get to see them in person (which would be terribly disappointing), but who knows what the future will bring? Well, aside from the TVA... ;)

waltography

Three things after watching the new episode: 1. I need that variant jacket; 2. I'm so glad I picked up Latin in college; and 3. this is perhaps the most fun I've had watching a Marvel show yet. I love when the show leans into the weird, campy vibes, and it's in full force in this episode now that we got the grounding for the TVA in episode one.

The Lady Loki reveal is unsurprising but so well done.

Phicinfan

Three things after watching the new episode: 1. I need that variant jacket; 2. I'm so glad I picked up Latin in college; and 3. this is perhaps the most fun I've had watching a Marvel show yet. I love when the show leans into the weird, campy vibes, and it's in full force in this episode now that we got the grounding for the TVA in episode one.

The Lady Loki reveal is unsurprising but so well done.
The interplay between Tom and Owen is incredible. Marvel's new Batman and Robin, with the argument of who is Batman and who is Robin. Maybe Starsky and Hutch? Sorry really showing my age here....

So, we find out the plan was to blow up the time line, and by using all the time purges at one time? NO that is too simple, Lady Loki wants all the agents tied up to make the save.... there is still something at play here, and Variant Loki wants to know what.

This is really, really well done

MarvelCharacterNerd

Original Poster
Okay, second ep in my opinion was WAY better than the first. The first was cute but other than my adoration of Loki, I just wasn't totally buying into it - was feeling more WandaVision vibes than Loki-ness. This was a definite improvement with far better writing/script. Tons of great lines and speeches. Though you could still pick up the Owen improvs. lol

Other notes along the way:

Think I forgot to mention from first ep - I love the Marvel Studios logo in the opening credits ending in Loki green and gold! 💚 💛💚💛

LOVED the use of "Holding Out For a Hero" lol
"Professor Loki"
"I see a scheme"
(too many good quotes in this one to keep up)
Roxxcorp reference
Sasha Lane! Loved her in "Utopia"

DCLcruiser

I haven't watched the Easter Egg videos yet but....why does setting off multiple Reset Charges cause new timelines? They are used to prune...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I haven't watched the Easter Egg videos yet but....why does setting off multiple Reset Charges cause new timelines? They are used to prune...
They haven't explained.

But, I presume that blasting holes in The Sacred Timeline allows the timeline to heal itself with freedom to go off in different directions.

Or, perhaps there were infinity stones in those times and places and destroying them causes a branch.

I seem to get the impression that the timeline is constantly 'wanting' to split off and the TVA is on a constant race to clip the branches as soon as they appear. You don't need such a vast organization if branches were rare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom