SPOILERS: Book of Boba Fett - Latest episodes

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the most part, I enjoyed the show. It wasn't anywhere near the level of Mando though. I will stick to what I said earlier. It all felt like it should have been a side story in Mando season 3 and not it's own thing. With the way the show ended, it reinforces my thought on spending too much time in the beginning on flashbacks. You could have reduced it to an episode and a half and introduced Bane earlier in the show. Then you would have had a villain to give the show a better focus. It just felt too disjointed. Couple that with some very questionable special effects and you have a enjoyable show, not a great show.

I'm increasingly certain this started life as a side plot in Season 3 of Mando and they felt there would be too much blowback for the first four episodes if it was named such.

I liked it, funny to see the division between Grogu's choice. He obviously made the better choice for the story they are telling and not the one they already told.
The Mando season 3 thing makes sense now though…the fact they put the year gap in between should have tipped us off..

this was all Mando lite with filoni sticking his clone favs in and a bit of a ploy by throwing the red meat of “boba fett” to the old guard disgruntled sect.

that said…it was overall fine…not great but worth watching…as long as there’s no “season 2”…this well is pumped dry.

Prince-1

The show gets a solid C+ and that is being generous. Having two episodes that focused only on Mando helped raise the grade.

ArmoredRodent

While fun, "The Book of Boba Fett" may exist because there was a need to have a certain type of character in a certain type of place with a certain level of control or rule. It may take years to know for sure, but that's part of the fun.
Filoni, for all his genius, does sometimes set up things that just aren't well-explained or integrated. For example, Clone Wars arc for the all-powerful, all-important Mortis, the One family home planet. Still waiting for that one (pun intended) to know how it all fits in. Perhaps in Ahsoka?

sedati

Filoni, for all his genius, does sometimes set up things that just aren't well-explained or integrated. For example, Clone Wars arc for the all-powerful, all-important Mortis, the One family home planet. Still waiting for that one (pun intended) to know how it all fits in. Perhaps in Ahsoka?
True, but the story's not over yet (may never be). Patience is important in long-form storytelling. People take an episode or even a season as a beginning, middle, and end without realizing these are just chapters in a book of unknown length. They've shown they can delay a payoff. I'd love some hints of Mortis and honestly, every time Ahsoka's owl shows up, I take it as a reminder. I'm sure we'll get more on that someday (possibly in the Ahsoka series.) With Boba now in control I'd like to see him reconnect with the remaining Tuskens- something that can absolutely be addressed in the future.

erasure fan1

Patience is important in long-form storytelling. People take an episode or even a season as a beginning, middle, and end without realizing these are just chapters in a book of unknown length.
I agree to a point. You do have to be careful when dragging stuff out. All you do is make people mad if there isn't a payoff and you stop doing the show. The vast majority of people don't want to read a comic, novel or watch an animated series to find out an answer. It's a delicate balance for sure. Any main plot points should really be resolved by the next season at worst.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree to a point. You do have to be careful when dragging stuff out. All you do is make people mad if there isn't a payoff and you stop doing the show. The vast majority of people don't want to read a comic, novel or watch an animated series to find out an answer. It's a delicate balance for sure. Any main plot points should really be resolved by the next season at worst.
See "Caprica". ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Honestly as much as people weren't fans of this show, it honestly appears to setup Boba to be used in more ways in the future.

So call it an exposition series that sets up future usage of the character.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly as much as people weren't fans of this show, it honestly appears to setup Boba to be used in more ways in the future.

Well since it was Mando Season 2.5…that seems like they’re forcing it, doesn’t it?

They really didn’t flesh out the Boba Character too much…ironic because the same guy played jango

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well since it was Mando Season 2.5…that seems like they’re forcing it, doesn’t it?

They really didn’t flesh out the Boba Character too much…ironic because the same guy played jango
Maybe they have an actual plan for this character in future seasons of Mando and other series. So you call it forced, I call it a potential plan.

I know you have no faith in the LFL story team, but I'm interested to see how this plays out.

As for the character being fleshed out, well I think they provided enough backstory to show where Boba is at mentally now after Ep6.

This isn't specifically about Boba but SW characters in general as they are used in the future - I know fans don't like to think it about their favorite characters, but normally people change as they age. They don't just stay the same forever, the body ages and so does the mind. And so what one feels about something at 18, 19, and early 20s isn't necessarily how one will feel in their 50s and 60s, as life experience especially in war takes a major toll. So when a specific character is being written aged up a writer has to take that into account, even though it might upset fans of that character. If you have x character at age 50 or 60 acting or thinking like they did at 18/19 it won't be believable. Anyways, that is just my take on things.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At this point in time, should you have faith in the story group? I know I don't. Who knows what Kennedy will do to sabotage any momentum that Mando built up. I trust Jon, but there's always Kennedy lurking in the shadows.
I have enough faith in Jon and Dave to see where they take this. If it ends up in a flop, well then I'm sure the usual scapegoat will be used for the blame.

doctornick

Sure, it could be. Problem is (from my prospective) that Boba wasn't very interesting in this series - actually, he's never actually been interesting - so I don't really care much if he ever appears again. I mean, it's fine if he does but I'm not invested in him or Fennac for that matter.

I'm actually more interested what happens to the Marshall and he was barely in this series.

Kinda wouldn't mind a Krrsantan backstory series either for that matter; I'm as interested in him as I am in Boba.

That being said, I didn't dislike this series or anything, it was entertaining enough. But it was just there and I'm relatively indifferent to any of the stories it told (well, except Mando and Grogu - can't wait for Season 3)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe they have an actual plan for this character in future seasons of Mando and other series. So you call it forced, I call it a potential plan.

I know you have no faith in the LFL story team, but I'm interested to see how this plays out.

As for the character being fleshed out, well I think they provided enough backstory to show where Boba is at mentally now after Ep6.

This isn't specifically about Boba but SW characters in general as they are used in the future - I know fans don't like to think it about their favorite characters, but normally people change as they age. They don't just stay the same forever, the body ages and so does the mind. And so what one feels about something at 18, 19, and early 20s isn't necessarily how one will feel in their 50s and 60s, as life experience especially in war takes a major toll. So when a specific character is being written aged up a writer has to take that into account, even though it might upset fans of that character. If you have x character at age 50 or 60 acting or thinking like they did at 18/19 it won't be believable. Anyways, that is just my take on things.
Who says anything about “favorite characters”? I’m quite on the record as identifying boba fett as the ultimate bit/throwaway character. What did someone identify his as? “A cool looking dude that stood quietly in the shadows and died in a slapstick moment?”

Yeah…that’s about right. But I have no problem “fleshing it out”…I liked the series overall…just not sure there’s a path to go other than more bounty Hunter duels with the Clint Eastwood music playing? We’ll see.

Characters aging? You don’t say? We’ve had some brutal use of that already…so much so they’re frantically trying to “turn back time” like Cher on all the characters via computer. I’ll blame George for that…the late 90’s was the time…sadly.
I have enough faith in Jon and Dave to see where they take this. If it ends up in a flop, well then I'm sure the usual scapegoat will be used for the blame.
I’d watch out more for filoni than kennedy. I don’t think kennedy is that involved in what we’re seeing…she seems to be in her lane of just fighting/firing directors as it stands.

Filoni is a huge fan…which is good…but doesn’t recognize that the prequel stuff still “ain’t quite right” and still needs to find some middle ground with the Lucas weirdness and Disney’s “even more weirdness”

Hmph…as far as lfl’s “strategy planning department” -or whatever the hell it’s called - filoni basically in charge of story and characters now is so ironic.

All that arrogance from Iger and Nuevo crew from 2012-2018 about how “dedicated to quality” they were…and the ultimate Lucas henchman is on the throne just a few years later? At least they didn’t clone him 😎

Last edited:

Robbiem

I agree. I think the issue with enigmatic characters like Boba Fett is that people have had years to map out their view of them and the screen view is never going to match up to the toy box dreams from 40 years ago.

I think Boba’s journey was really well done and fits his character from the clone wars where he wasn’t as mercenary as someone like Cad Bane. I just think its a pity the focus shifted to Din as the series went on as I’d have liked to see more to Temuera Morrison, I thought he did a great performance

_caleb

The desert thing is so played out. Varied environments are the key to Star Wars.

and they’re not spending a dollar more on those lands. Though I’m sure there are “insider rumors” already boiling about “secret” expansion plans 🙄
This guy is critical of the Book of Boba Fett for being too focused on classic storylines and places. “Why can’t Star Wars just move on from fan service and make something new?”

He’s got a point.

I know you’re all about “SW:GE should have been about the OT and Batuu should have been Tatooine,” but I think that would have resulted in the same criticism.

erasure fan1

This guy is critical of the Book of Boba Fett for being too focused on classic storylines and places. “Why can’t Star Wars just move on from fan service and make something new?”
I think you need fan service in a franchise like star wars. As I have said many times before. It's not fan service that is the problem, it's how it's implemented. Mando season 1 and 2 did a great job with fan service. The use of classic aliens, nods to the holiday special, biker scouts on the forest moon speeders and Baby Yoda... All give you the star wars feels. At the same time it had new characters, planets and ideas that felt natural. Book of Boba felt like a sub thread for Mando season 3 that was expanded into its own thing. So it never really had the chance to move into something new with how short the series was. That's why the takeaway from it by most was, yea it was fine.
I know you’re all about “SW:GE should have been about the OT and Batuu should have been Tatooine,” but I think that would have resulted in the same criticism.
I disagree. First, I don't think galaxys edge should have been OT. Nor do I think it should have been the sequels. It should have been a celebration of star wars as a whole. Focusing on one era, and to make it worse one moment, was a bad choice. Would I have loved a star wars land that was tatooine with mos eisley, the cantina and docking bay 94... And down one path you had Jabbas palace with a ride inside. And down another path you had the moisture farm with a giant sand crawler out front. Of course I would. The issue with Batuu is no one cares about it. And why would we? Because Disney made a comic book that explains it? You had 5 movies to integrate it into peoples star wars mindset. And the best they could manage was a one off line in Solo. Disney and Kennedy were so focused on moving on and pretending that the OT and prequels didn't exist that they forgot to build a cohesive plan for what the next era of star wars was going to be. They just figured, star wars, everyone will love it no matter what.

_caleb

Book of Boba felt like a sub thread for Mando season 3 that was expanded into its own thing. So it never really had the chance to move into something new with how short the series was. That's why the takeaway from it by most was, yea it was fine.
I think this is all Book of Boba Fett was supposed to be: an small expansion of the Mandalorian to explore and develop a character's backstory.
I disagree. First, I don't think galaxys edge should have been OT. Nor do I think it should have been the sequels. It should have been a celebration of star wars as a whole. Focusing on one era, and to make it worse one moment, was a bad choice. Would I have loved a star wars land that was tatooine with mos eisley, the cantina and docking bay 94... And down one path you had Jabbas palace with a ride inside. And down another path you had the moisture farm with a giant sand crawler out front. Of course I would. The issue with Batuu is no one cares about it. And why would we? Because Disney made a comic book that explains it? You had 5 movies to integrate it into peoples star wars mindset. And the best they could manage was a one off line in Solo. Disney and Kennedy were so focused on moving on and pretending that the OT and prequels didn't exist that they forgot to build a cohesive plan for what the next era of star wars was going to be. They just figured, star wars, everyone will love it no matter what.
I think fans would get really bored with everything themed after the originals. I get that's what you think you would like, but Disney is trying to create branches off of the main storyline and make those branches as independent as possible. They don't want one big story, but lots of smaller, interconnected stories that can take on different tones, perspectives, and storytelling approaches.

Here's why: they already have fans like you. What they're looking for are fans that are not like you. Some people do like SW:GE (and Batuu). So statements like "no one cares about Batuu" is not entirely true, and shows which corner of the fandom you identify with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think fans would get really bored with everything themed after the originals. I get that's what you think you would like, but Disney is trying to create branches off of the main storyline and make those branches as independent as possible. They don't want one big story, but lots of smaller, interconnected stories that can take on different tones, perspectives, and storytelling approaches.

Here's why: they already have fans like you. What they're looking for are fans that are not like you. Some people do like SW:GE (and Batuu). So statements like "no one cares about Batuu" is not entirely true, and shows which corner of the fandom you identify with.

You didn’t actual read what he said. He didn’t say theme it after originals…though that’s a hell of a lot more appealing than ambiguous around the disastrous Disney sequels and solo.

In retrospect…doesn’t “Fatuu” seem like damage control/rewrite anyway? Like they weren’t nearly as sure of their stewardship as Bob tried to sell? So they made it vague/ambiguous to not attach it something too meh?

I remember the usuals claiming that was “ingenious” before it opened. Or was it a complete punt?…as indicated by the punter that was on the stage when they announced it.

There were other things going on there - of course. Distancing themselves from Lucas while supporting the swap/replacement of the iconic characters for the Disney marketing/focus group ones.

It makes sense…it does…just can’t screw it up. Not that hard…only in Hollywood.

Last edited:

_caleb

You didn’t actual read what he said. He didn’t say theme it after originals…though that’s a hell of a lot more appealing than ambiguous around the disastrous Disney sequels and solo.
You're right. He didn't say, "theme it after OT." But since all of his examples were from OT, that's what I took him to mean. Didn't mean to misrepresent.

In retrospect…doesn’t “Fatuu” seem like damage control/rewrite anyway? Like they weren’t nearly as sure of their stewardship as Bob tried to sell? So they made it vague/ambiguous to not attach it something too meh?
It does seem like that. But I think it's more like the way they handled Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s relationship to the MCU. If they tied them together too closely, there isn't as much creative space. Nobody knows how cannon accurate Disney's Batuu is, because they made it up. It can have its own rules and story and such without running afoul of what's already out there.

There were other things going on there - of course. Distancing themselves from Lucas while supporting the swap/replacement of the iconic characters for the Disney marketing/focus group ones.
Exactly. Had Disney just retreaded OT, they would have been accused of bringing nothing new. Where they have tried to bring something new, fans evaluate it against the beloved OT.

I expect more of this as they play up genre differences between shows/films. Disney thought fans weren't ready for Lord and Miller's, unconventional take on Star Wars, but it seems like they're working towards this. Mando obviously pays tribute to the gritty Western. Solo was an adventure/heist film. I'm wondering if Ashoka might be more The Hidden Fortress (Japanese Samurai film). Eventually, Star Wars won't be a genre, but a universe comprised of horror, drama, comedy, etc. stories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom