SPOILERS: Book of Boba Fett - Latest episodes

CaptainAmerica

Well that’s Dave filoni…who needs “balance” and “tempering” just like all these other clowns they have hired so far
To be fair, so did George.

i actually liked the episode, but do agree it was a bit rushed. having 1 more episode wouldn’t have hurt.
I don't think they needed another episode in the season, just better pacing between the episodes they did have. There were some episodes earlier in the season with a lot of filler.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Precisely - he can't take himself back. What is R2 going to do if Grogu gets captured by the Empire remnants or ends up in the wrong hands?

R2 tried to tell Peli Motto they were in a hurry but she just ignored him. Going to Mos Eisley anything could happen. It's lazy writing.
It’s implausibly stupid for even sci-fi…

“you picked the shirt…I’ll get you a Lyft…nice knowing you kid..”

it doesn’t fit with really anything…at all…

I mean…they’ve made Star Wars as fragile as a fabrege egg…
The minute something silly is shot…it brings back all the “bad” stuff

like “I love you…I deeply love you”
…now let’s got do the gladiator thing and get to baby making!

The problem is that the dollars hide the appeal when they look at history…the reason empire was good was it was SLOW To develop. Time for looks and pauses.

maybe 90’s movies couldn’t do that…but for stream shows there is NO excuse for pooching the pacing. You HAVE time…and the better it is…the more money you make.

ill stop criticizing Star Wars management the very first time the consensus is “this is too adult/intellectual for Star Wars”

sedati

2: My DH asked, what would it take to turn Black Spire Outpost into Mos Espa?
Easy, suck all the color, character, and greenery from it thus making it less evocative of Star Wars as a whole and more specifically one single dry and dusty location. Something like Garsa's sanctuary could be added easily, but it's not that much of a concept to begin with. I'd love it if the land could add some beasts of burden and hey, throw in some vespas for more color and fun photo ops.

I like Mos Espa fine and love that they resurrected the unused city in a canyon concept, but this would be a vastly worse theme park land... IMO

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was disappointed he chose mando and showed up in this episode, I was looking forward to a show based on him and Luke training.

Mando will be better with him but I thought Mandalorian was already good enough to hold up without him.

It almost feels to me like the writers regretted having Grogu go with Luke at the end of the last season of Mandalorian so this is their way of writing him back into the story.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Felt like a very expensive live action Clone Wars arc, in the best and worst ways.

Yes, I'm kinda curious how the larger audience will feel about all these Dave F Clone Wars bits being brought back more and more. Clone Wars is obviously something without the traction of the main SW films in the larger population and Clone Wars certainly evolved a bit over it's run. So people can be put off by the early seasons. Hopefully more people will binge it now that D+ is so common.

While Clone Wars at times felt like it had training wheels on for the younger audience... this one at times felt like it just wasn't top shelf production.. while mando blew people's minds.

The only thing that fits in my mind is 'rushed'. I still don't get a lot of the directing/editing/effects stuff though. You have the rancor which looked stunning the whole time.. mixed with scenes that just felt like they were assembled by a high school group project. non-sensical writing, bad edit/stunts, or really out of place effects (the goofy speeder chase).. so up and down even in the same shows.

Usually one points to the director.. and Robert Rodriguez is the common thread in ep1, 3, and 7..

I'm still positive on the series, but it has warts for sure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It almost feels to me like the writers regretted having Grogu go with Luke at the end of the last season of Mandalorian so this is their way of writing him back into the story.
I feel this side quest was a level-up for Grogu so that he wasn't just a baby with wild-card displays of power.

He recovered memories of his past and his previous training (thus, he doesn't need several years away from Mando to be more proficient in the Force).

Also, Grogu is no longer 'lost.' The quest to find his people is ended. His destiny is now with Mando, not to be perpetually 'in danger' of leaving Mando.

Magenta Panther

Of course, there are people out there griping about CGI Luke. Well, they can just shut up. (No, I haven't seen any of the SW shows because I don't have Disney+. But I have seen the clip where Luke gives the baby frog-eater a choice). One of the GOOD SW characters has been brought back, and boy does he make all the new ones look even more like crap. The CGI was well done for the most part; and anyway, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If the tech to bring back characters exists, even characters portrayed by actors who have since passed away, then it will be used, end of story. CGI will continue to improve until you can't tell the difference between a CGI figure and a real person, even when both share a scene. And what's wrong with that? It's all fiction anyway. If "Disney" would put Han Solo, Leia and Luke in the Rise of the Resistance ride (oh no that would require changing the storyline, but who cares?) or at least in the Falcon ride, I'd maybe try it. But every time I see Chewbacca hanging out with Ma-Rey Sue, it feels like a betrayal.

BTW, I read somewhere that Harrison Ford filmed a sequence for the SW show. It's just a rumor, mind you...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, I'm kinda curious how the larger audience will feel about all these Dave F Clone Wars bits being brought back more and more. Clone Wars is obviously something without the traction of the main SW films in the larger population and Clone Wars certainly evolved a bit over it's run. So people can be put off by the early seasons. Hopefully more people will binge it now that D+ is so common.

While Clone Wars at times felt like it had training wheels on for the younger audience... this one at times felt like it just wasn't top shelf production.. while mando blew people's minds.

The only thing that fits in my mind is 'rushed'. I still don't get a lot of the directing/editing/effects stuff though. You have the rancor which looked stunning the whole time.. mixed with scenes that just felt like they were assembled by a high school group project. non-sensical writing, bad edit/stunts, or really out of place effects (the goofy speeder chase).. so up and down even in the same shows.

Usually one points to the director.. and Robert Rodriguez is the common thread in ep1, 3, and 7..

I'm still positive on the series, but it has warts for sure.
I have a coworker that is doing exactly that because of said bits.

sedati

Depends on if the point was to teach Grogu, or to teach Luke.

Ahsoka tells Luke that "Sometimes it's the student who guides the master," and I think Grogu just hit Luke with some knowledge. The boy chose adventure and excitement (and attachment.) We'll see where that leads for good or for ill.

I believe we're seeing Luke at a time he'll bitterly refer to later, "I was Luke Skywalker- a legend." People cheer to see him recite old lines and literally jump through the same hoops but I think we're supposed to view that all with a tinge of worry.

I think a lot of what's being done is in service to a larger future plot and they just fit it in where they can. I'm not sure if we're even seeing chess pieces being moved in play or are still just stetting up the board. While fun, "The Book of Boba Fett" may exist because there was a need to have a certain type of character in a certain type of place with a certain level of control or rule. It may take years to know for sure, but that's part of the fun.

erasure fan1

For the most part, I enjoyed the show. It wasn't anywhere near the level of Mando though. I will stick to what I said earlier. It all felt like it should have been a side story in Mando season 3 and not it's own thing. With the way the show ended, it reinforces my thought on spending too much time in the beginning on flashbacks. You could have reduced it to an episode and a half and introduced Bane earlier in the show. Then you would have had a villain to give the show a better focus. It just felt too disjointed. Couple that with some very questionable special effects and you have a enjoyable show, not a great show.

BrianLo

I'm increasingly certain this started life as a side plot in Season 3 of Mando and they felt there would be too much blowback for the first four episodes if it was named such.

I liked it, funny to see the division between Grogu's choice. He obviously made the better choice for the story they are telling and not the one they already told.

Screamface

I enjoyed the show, but it was a big step down from The Mandolorian on almost every level.

The structure of the first 4 episodes was bad. It should have been linear. The whole Boba as a crime lord thing still didn't feel properly done or explained. The world of the show felt very empty and lacked realism or grit.

That should have been just a TV movie, or something. Then integrated anything else with the next season of The Mandalorian. Even that stuff felt short changed.

The action and fights were all pretty poorly done. There seemed to be very little to no creativity behind it. Generic. I would be shocked to find out the same stunt coordinators and action teams worked on this show as on Mandolorian. There was basically nothing bad or cool. I mean, I guess Boba and the Rancor is in theory and it was fine. It didn't blow me away though.

I'm rather unsatisfied with where we currently are with the Grogu plot.

Robert Rodreguiez's direction was surprisingly bad. Like mistifyingly bad. I'd say, "maybe his days of old are gone," but Alita was recent and that was good.

I think I'd enjoy more on a rewatched.

Tony the Tigger

Ok, now that it’s over - reminder, I’m old, OG, like ep 4 in the theater as a kid old.

Boba Fett is the bad guy. Right?

So I thought this was going to be a flashback pre/post empire of all his bounty hunting adventures. Glad I was wrong.

This was way more interesting, and the background/pacing/double timeline was just right for me. Loved the deeper dive into the Raiders and Tatooine in general. Worth the price of subscription.

Probably earlier on, I would have hoped for more Mando, but by the time he appeared, I didn’t need him. I was hooked into the Fett storyline.

I think where they went “wrong” in an 8 episode series was having Mando completely take over episodes 6 and 7. He literally stole the show. There were even moments of Mando filler episode stepping on Fett’s Book. I would have liked to have seen more balance between the Fett and Mando arcs before they inevitably got together towards the end.

And the first couple of new episodes of the next Mando season could have shown him in action while not babysitting, until Grogu came back. (I guess that was 6 and 7.)

Overall, still digging it, ready for more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom