SPOILER Agatha All Along, D+, premier 9/18/24

Vegas Disney Fan

Wait… we go through the drama to put ratings and content warnings on every freaking show… and now people are complaining that they shouldn’t have to read them, they should just be able to assume and that should trump directly being told otherwise???

At what point will you accept you should look in the mirror?
This isn’t a new phenomenon with Disney, 50 years ago people were upset about the Black Cauldron having a PG rating because Disney animation made kid friendly movies, 40 years ago they were upset about Alien Encounter in the parks because Disney made kid friendly rides, Disney themselves even made subsidiaries like Touchstone so they could release less kid friendly content without attaching the Disney name to it.

Right or wrong the Disney name is synonymous with kid friendly, it’s their greatest asset, also one of their greatest liabilities. If people ever stop being upset about Disney making something that’s not kid friendly it’ll probably mean the end of Disney as we know it.

erasure fan1

I wouldn’t let young kids watch this either, mostly because it’s spooky, but feel it is appropriately rated.
I feel it's rated fine as well. The issue was advertising it as "all ages". If it was advertised as great for teens and adults alike. Great. As long as the 14 is front and center.
I think people need to accept that D+ requires adult supervision
While true, we all know the average parent thinks of Disney as "safe". That's why it's up to Disney make sure it's known when things might be questionable. Sure Disney Plus is going to have everything and parents need to pay attention. But it's not that hard when you are going to advertise and promote something to make sure it's clear who the demographic is. It will save them a lot of headaches from bad press in the long run.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
For use.

For your children.

In your house.

1727026948968.png

1727026973829.png

1727027019170.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Right or wrong the Disney name is synonymous with kid friendly, it’s their greatest asset, also one of their greatest liabilities. If people ever stop being upset about Disney making something that’s not kid friendly it’ll probably mean the end of Disney as we know it.
Famously, R-rated shows have appeared on D+. That's why the parental controls were added.

Who thinks that Disney only does G-Rated content?

flynnibus

Premium Member
This isn’t a new phenomenon with Disney

No, but you're also comparing the means and methods of the past vs what is today... which is DETAILED content warnings at the start of every show... pretty sure it's in the show notes... and viewing platforms that automatically restrict access to content if you want. The idea that disney isn't just G rated movies died before many of the posters here were even born.

If you are worried about what a 6yr old sees... when the adult is the one with all the info and controls... the issue isn't the content maker.. it's the people in the driver's seat.

Vegas Disney Fan

No, but you're also comparing the means and methods of the past vs what is today... which is DETAILED content warnings at the start of every show... pretty sure it's in the show notes... and viewing platforms that automatically restrict access to content if you want. The idea that disney isn't just G rated movies died before many of the posters here were even born.

If you are worried about what a 6yr old sees... when the adult is the one with all the info and controls... the issue isn't the content maker.. it's the people in the driver's seat.
Did you miss my previous message where I specifically stated “I think people need to accept that D+ requires adult supervision”?

My whole point is that the misconception that Disney only makes kid friendly content is a misconception, the idea Disney is still a G rated company clearly hasn’t died, not only from fans but from Disney itself, Disney still aggressively promotes itself as the most kid friendly / family friendly brand anywhere, and it still is, but people need to accept that they also have a lot of content under the Disney name that doesn’t fall under that umbrella.

You expect Marvel, Star Wars, ABC, Touchstone, Fox, and the dozens of other Disney owned brands to be more diverse in tone, age appropriateness, etc… but when people see the Disney name itself attached to something I think most still assume it’s kid friendly.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did you miss my previous message where I specifically stated “I think people need to accept that D+ requires adult supervision”?

Did you miss where everything I was talking about wasn't about Disney? Content ratings, Content Controls, Adulting... none of that is specific to Disney. If someone fails at Adulting... don't blame Disney.

doctornick

This isn’t a new phenomenon with Disney, 50 years ago people were upset about the Black Cauldron having a PG rating because Disney animation made kid friendly movies, 40 years ago they were upset about Alien Encounter in the parks because Disney made kid friendly rides, Disney themselves even made subsidiaries like Touchstone so they could release less kid friendly content without attaching the Disney name to it.

I get all that but this is Marvel. This isn’t Disney branded in the sense of feature animation or a Disney Channel show. This is perfectly on point for Marvel which is not really pre-school friendly.

Honestly I don’t think there’s any outrage or concern out there so it’s an odd topic for this thread.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

My whole point is that the misconception that Disney only makes kid friendly content is a misconception, the idea Disney is still a G rated company clearly hasn’t died, not only from fans but from Disney itself, Disney still aggressively promotes itself as the most kid friendly / family friendly brand anywhere, and it still is, but people need to accept that they also have a lot of content under the Disney name that doesn’t fall under that umbrella.

You expect Marvel, Star Wars, ABC, Touchstone, Fox, and the dozens of other Disney owned brands to be more diverse in tone, age appropriateness, etc… but when people see the Disney name itself attached to something I think most still assume it’s kid friendly.
Except this isn't under the Disney banner or even attached to the "Disney" name other than being on Disney+, its under Marvel. The + in Disney+ means Disney content plus everything else under the Disney umbrella., And now for all of 2024 that is even more true with Hulu being combined with the service in the US (and 2021 outside the US with Star).

Anyone that still has a misconception about Disney+ has either been living under a rock or hasn't been paying attention and asleep at the wheel. They've had announcements both inside and outside the service, and you even had to acknowledge and setup parental controls when they launched the feature. So if someone did want to only have G rated content available on the service that can be done, and this show wouldn't even come up, so wouldn't be an issue.

Also I think too many are reading too much into one little blurb about "families and fans of all ages" a little too seriously. And even if you take it at face value that doesn't abdicate a parents responsibility to parent and monitor what a child watches. As I truly don't believe that any parent is putting on a TV-14 show like Agatha and expecting it to be G rated. It literally has the rating on screen for at least 30 seconds with the reasons for the rating when the show starts. So again anyone that misses all that is clearly either not monitoring and asleep at the wheel or didn't care in the first place.

This is just pearl clutching at this point.

BrianLo

Well, this certainly wasn’t on my bingo card for what was being discussed on this thread!

Just was on the Tokyo Disney Monorail and you know what was being advertised next to Elemental and Mermaid for the service? Shogun. Those poor kids.

The puritan dream of D+ being a streamer for exclusively children died about two days after its launch when Bob realized more than half the subscribers were childless. We barely made it a year internationally before FX content was rolled in. Agatha is barely pushing the boundaries of what the service actually is going to be and already is, at the end point.

We’ve already had an R rated Star Wars show and just came off an R rated Deadpool and the R rated Daredevil universe is about to start… I really didn’t think the content of this TV-14 show was what would be pushing the conversation/buttons.

doctornick

We’ve already had an R rated Star Wars show and just came off an R rated Deadpool and the R rated Daredevil universe is about to start… I really didn’t think the content of this TV-14 show was what would be pushing the conversation/buttons.

There's an R-rated Star Wars show? I'm totally blanking on what that could possibly be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom