Splenda

Tiggerfanatic

Original Poster
Kind of goes along with the coffee and Starbucks question - does anyone know if Splenda is supplied at the coffee counters, or just Sweet-n-Low/Equal? I am an iced tea fanatic (and I like it really sweet, no lemon), and was just wondering if I needed to pack my own baggie. Thanks.....

kcnole

I keep several packages in my wifes purse all the time. I love sweet tea but it made me fat, so now I drink unsweetened with the splenda and it's almost as good.

tigsmom

Kind of goes along with the coffee and Starbucks question - does anyone know if Splenda is supplied at the coffee counters, or just Sweet-n-Low/Equal? I am an iced tea fanatic (and I like it really sweet, no lemon), and was just wondering if I needed to pack my own baggie. Thanks.....

They have Splenda, but if you want to make it "your way" ask for unsweetened tea, no lemon and doctor it up. :wave:

reptar77

They usually have it but sometimes they run out. They always have the blue and pink stuff. I always carry a couple of packs with me just in case.

darthjohnny

Years ago, they had Sweet 'N' Low, then for a short time recently they switched to Splenda. But now it looks like they are going back to Sweet 'N' Low again. Personally, I don't like Splenda, and don't understand why it is so popular.

tigsmom

Years ago, they had Sweet 'N' Low, then for a short time recently they switched to Splenda. But now it looks like they are going back to Sweet 'N' Low again. Personally, I don't like Splenda, and don't understand why it is so popular.

Because it has no aftertaste, isn't really an artificial sweetner because its made from sugar and you can cook and bake with it and it won't break down...it acts just like sugar.

Tiggerfanatic

Original Poster
They have Splenda, but if you want to make it "your way" ask for unsweetened tea, no lemon and doctor it up. :wave:
Exactly the way I like it - sometimes servers have a problem with the "No Lemon" concept, though. I usually carry some with me for restaurants that don't have it; I'll probably throw some in for the trip as well. Wonder if I'll be able to carry something like that on the plane, or if it will have to be in my checked luggage?

tigsmom

Exactly the way I like it - sometimes servers have a problem with the "No Lemon" concept, though. I usually carry some with me for restaurants that don't have it; I'll probably throw some in for the trip as well. Wonder if I'll be able to carry something like that on the plane, or if it will have to be in my checked luggage?

Put the packets in a zip bag and pack them away, check the bag.
If you put a couple of packs in your wallet they should be ok, I've never had them open my wallet on the plane... in WDW they did though.

Tiggerfanatic

Original Poster
Put the packets in a zip bag and pack them away, check the bag.
If you put a couple of packs in your wallet they should be ok, I've never had them open my wallet on the plane... in WDW they did though.
Yeah - I'll need to carry a few with me since we'll probably be in the parks before our checked baggage arrives. Plane lands in Orlando @ 10AM so we'll do the early check in and head to the MK for our 1PM reservation at Tony's.

MissM

Because it has no aftertaste, isn't really an artificial sweetner because its made from sugar and you can cook and bake with it and it won't break down...it acts just like sugar.
Sorry but the whole "made from sugar" thing is total propaganda on the part of Splenda's marketing department. It actually is a chlorinated carbon that literally does not exist in nature. (I'd point out that pesticides fall under the same catagory of chlorinated carbon compound.) Your body doesn't know what to do with it and thus you have almost no net calories from it as your body rejects it as a foreign object. However, there is no formal testing to determine how much of the chlorine is actual absorbed and even the Splenda manufacturer says a "small percent" (between 11-27% estimate) is absorbed into the body. Additionally, no long term studies have been done on the product, nor any independant studies. (Only those funded by the makers of the product.)

Just a reminder that marketing is meant to sell a product. Not give the truth.
-m

I like to make sweet tea at home...I tried making it with Splenda last time and it just didn't taste right. My DH poured a big glass of it and asked what I did wrong (sometimes I could just smack him!). Maybe I need to use less next time??

tigsmom

Sorry but the whole "made from sugar" thing is total propaganda on the part of Splenda's marketing department. It actually is a chlorinated carbon that literally does not exist in nature. (I'd point out that pesticides fall under the same catagory of chlorinated carbon compound.) Your body doesn't know what to do with it and thus you have almost no net calories from it as your body rejects it as a foreign object. However, there is no formal testing to determine how much of the chlorine is actual absorbed and even the Splenda manufacturer says a "small percent" (between 11-27% estimate) is absorbed into the body. Additionally, no long term studies have been done on the product, nor any independant studies. (Only those funded by the makers of the product.)

Just a reminder that marketing is meant to sell a product. Not give the truth.
-m

Splenda is made from sucrose...that is the starting point. The chemical structure is changed so that the body does not recognize it as such and therefore there is no insulin reaction to it (the hydroxy groups are replaced with chlorine atoms). It has been around since 1981 and there have been many studies done on it.

This discussion has been done before...believe whatever you want

ljl14

Splenda is just plain nasty to me. If you want to try something that will make your tea sweet use the all natural Stevia. You can find it in health food stores in convenient packets. It's all natural and very sweet.

Give it a try :wave:

MissM

It has been around since 1981 and there have been many studies done on it.
Just because something has been around for 20 years doesn't make it safe. People used to use lead paint and asbestos for years and years and that didn't turn out so well, did it? Let's not even mention mercury in fillings which has been done for 60+ years in regular use, but which is now being reconsidered by sources like the ADA for the dangers involved.

FDA approval doesn't require independent testing. So any studies done are going to look as positive as possible because they're released by the company who's set to make the money. NO independent testing or long-term testing has been done on Splenda. NONE.

Marketing is nothing more than a sales pitch, so don't believe everything you see on tv.
-m

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom