Splash Mtn Restraints

H2Opolo15

People either are scared to ride or are punks who wanna act cool. While visiting Kings Island last summer, I saw three teens jump off the train, run along side it, and then jump back on, just for the fun of it.:brick::brick: Some people actually think it's cool to do stuff like that. :hammer:

Wait it's not?:lookaroun

djkidkaz

Dont we go through this every January? Last years "Splash Mountain getting lap bars OMGZORZ! thread" even had pics of one with a lap bar. I can't wait till they add them so we can start the "Splash Mountain wait times cRaZy due to lap bars causing slow load/unload!!" thread. :hammer:

jakeman

Dont we go through this every January? Last years "Splash Mountain getting lap bars OMGZORZ! thread" even had pics of one with a lap bar. I can't wait till they add them so we can start the "Splash Mountain wait times cRaZy due to lap bars causing slow load/unload!!" thread. :hammer:
Wouldn't that just devolve into a Fastpass thread?

Flip83

It's really not that big of a deal. And what's wrong w/ the water cannons? Feels pretty darn good on a hot day to get cooled down by that.

Testtrack321

Wouldn't that just devolve into a Fastpass thread?

Then into a thread about who TDO doesn't want to invest in new attractions, then into one about Brazilian tour groups, then finally into what "Walt would have wanted" and how no one knows what he'd want now. :ROFLOL:

It's really not that big of a deal. And what's wrong w/ the water cannons? Feels pretty darn good on a hot day to get cooled down by that.

Water cannons are cheap shots. And not everyone rides Splash Mountain at 1pm on a summer day...

MickeyPeace

Sue-happy folks aren't to blame for this.
This is about the idiots who decide toclimb out of the logs in mid ride.
There have been injuries and even one death due to such behavior.

I want to hear about the death. When did it happen, where in the ride and how? And of course why.

With all of the Disney myths, rumors and such floating around this is one story I have never heard.

Lee you are a reputable source. Any info about this?

Testtrack321

I want to hear about the death. When did it happen, where in the ride and how? And of course why.

With all of the Disney myths, rumors and such floating around this is one story I have never heard.

I was at WDW when this happened. This was, I want to say 6-10 years ago. The guy was drunk, got out of the log, fell into the water from the pathway and was struck in the chest by another log.

hpyhnt 1000

While its a shame to see lap bars make their way to Splash Mountain, I certainly understand the reason for them being added. And if they've put the lap bar check in the proper place (at the first lift hill to go outside, NOT load/unload) then any delay thats caused should be almost non existent since that lift hill is already a hold point as the logs get spread out for the next hill. It would also help if they allowed you to unlock the lap bars before you get to the load dock.

And I'm pretty sure that the water canons can be (and are) turned on/off according to the weather and season.

ntoeman

The lap bars will finally help keep Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox from causing problems down river which I think is a big part of their daily downtimes. Whether they effect load/unload times, we'll see. The actually logs will look the same to most people, but they did change some things in the shape of the bottoms if I remember correctly. They've been working on all the new lap-bar boats in the shops since last spring.

Flip83

Water cannons are cheap shots. And not everyone rides Splash Mountain at 1pm on a summer day...

Well when it's cold, I've never seen them on. And even warm during the evening, it still feels good. You dry in like 30 minutes. Not a big deal. Everyone generally laughs when they get splashed by it. Are you that one person on the log that gets all bent out of shape by getting wet?

TREVON 2.0

There are indeed lap bars installed. They're tight! Fat people [no offense] will not be able to fit whatsoever...

Sent from my iPhone

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Per wikipedia.

Splash Mountain
Main article: Splash Mountain
On November 5, 2000, a 37-year-old man from St. Petersburg, Florida was critically injured while trying to exit the ride vehicle while it was moving. He told fellow passengers that he felt ill and attempted to reach one of the attraction's marked emergency exits.[55] He was struck by the following ride vehicle and died at a local hospital.[56]

Rob562

Per wikipedia.

A slight expansion on that incident:

I don't recall that it was ever said he was drunk like a previous poster said.

The man had gotten out of his log in the bee cave, and was standing on the left side of the flume near the Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit figures.

Reports said that there may have been a stoppage of the ride with the "trouble downstream" recording playing, but it was unclear whether this man caused the stoppage or if he simply exited his log while it was stopped for a separate reason.

He then tried to cross over to the marked exit on the opposite side of the flume by climbing across the back of a log that had stopped at the hold point at the top of the drop out of the bee cave. While he was crossing, the log was advanced into the drop, and he fell into the water and was pinned down by the next log.

When we went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour (a few years before this incident) our guide had brought us over to where the big water pit is behind Splash (there's railings and everything, but it's a LOT of water and the pumps are very powerful). He said that at least once a day in the busy season there's a ride-stoppage for a Guest who gets out of the log. And if they should happen to exit out through the emergency exit right next to the water pit, the pumps immediately shut off, and it gets eerily quiet back there.

-Rob

dr_teeth90210

At 6'9", I barely fit in the logs as it is. I have to sit completely sideways for my knees to fit. I guess I won't be riding Splash anymore.:(

Mr.MouseFan

There are indeed lap bars installed. They're tight! Fat people [no offense] will not be able to fit whatsoever...

Sent from my iPhone

As a fat person [no offense taken, btw], I'll be pretty ticked if I can't get into a log that I was able to fit into comfortably pre-lap bar. Splash is a must-do for us on every visit to MK.

ToTBellHop

Well when it's cold, I've never seen them on. And even warm during the evening, it still feels good. You dry in like 30 minutes. Not a big deal. Everyone generally laughs when they get splashed by it. Are you that one person on the log that gets all bent out of shape by getting wet?
I rode Splash at 12 am on January 2nd (Evening Extra Magic Hours), it was cold out, and that water cannon was on (we were drenched and immediately returned to our hotel).

I almost never see the cannons off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom