Splash Moutain Rehab Update (Photos)

JROK

Original Poster
So Saturday (1/20/07), I was at MK with some friends and was walking past Splash Moutain when I noticed a few engineers walking the track on the upper level. They then stepped out and tweaked the water cannon that shoots the bridge. One engineer went backstage while the other remained by the cannon. Then, while a lady was pushing a stroller over the bridge, BAM! Out comes the water soaring nearly to the other side of the bridge soaking the lady and her family! I stood by and grabbed a few shots of the progress. I assume they were testing the pressure levels for the cannon as they fired it numerous times for about the next half hour or so. Anyways, here's pictures of the progress!

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

Visit my folder HERE for full size.

askmike1

Hopefully they make the cannon actually hit the bridge. When I went in July, they had it aimed so that it came just short of the bridge.

Yesterday they where painting the Briar Patch, and today I saw it ompletely done, It looked great. Good Job Maintnence:) I can't wait till Splash opens and I can see the results of the rest of the rehab.

Mansion Butler

They're fixing the cannon? SWEET!

I've only ridden the ride once when it was on. And it just dumped all the water directly onto our boat (notably my soon-to-be girlfriend behind me). A little overkill.

Interestingly, of the couple 100 times I rode SM during my CP, that was the time I chose to take my video. It's an awesome moment on screen, if not at the time.

JROK

Original Poster
Hopefully they make the cannon actually hit the bridge. When I went in July, they had it aimed so that it came just short of the bridge.

It was easily hitting the bridge. The first time it nearly reached the far side of it, then they toned it down so it was only reaching about half way and then just less than half. It was powerful and a small group gathered to watch, most of the kids going, "Do it again!"

basas

Yesterday they where painting the Briar Patch, and today I saw it ompletely done, It looked great. Good Job Maintnence:) I can't wait till Splash opens and I can see the results of the rest of the rehab.

That is good the hear- it has looked REALLY bad for years.

In the photos you can really see the newly painted parts (up front), and the un-painted parts in the back.

DClarke977

When I was there 1/1/07 we walked by Splash and the cannon was hitting about 1/3rd into the bridge. We then decided to ride splash and when we were slowly passing by the briar patch, a log was going down the drop and the cannon's fired. WE GOT SOAKED just before going back into the mountain. Now I remember getting wet from the drop but I never remember getting wet (or soaked in my case) by the cannons when in the briar patch. It was fun, but COLD!

PBarton

Great update and photo's!

Splash Mountain is the best ride in the whole world, I hope it is returned to it's original state.

In 1996 I saw either a shuttle or rocket launch just as we reached the final drop - it was almost straight ahead as we dropped, we had no idea of the launch it was purely by chance.

JROK

Original Poster
She was shocked and her kids jumped out of the stroller (they were like 4-6ish)... It was kinda funny though because it was the first blast and came from nowhere!

the-reason14

Its funny and strange that when we were there one time in the cold, they had some of the cannons working that werent when it was hot in the summer. I was a little peeved, but its still fun, in a strange wet way.:lookaroun

Craig & Lisa

When I was there 1/1/07 we walked by Splash and the cannon was hitting about 1/3rd into the bridge. We then decided to ride splash and when we were slowly passing by the briar patch, a log was going down the drop and the cannon's fired. WE GOT SOAKED just before going back into the mountain. Now I remember getting wet from the drop but I never remember getting wet (or soaked in my case) by the cannons when in the briar patch. It was fun, but COLD!
I know what your talking about, just before you go back into SM after going around the front of the patch you hope that the main cannon doesn't get you but it seems they tweeked up the others by the next lift up into the mountain. Let me tell you, I've ridden SM many times but have never gotton as wet as we did the first time we were there, ( in Nov 06 ) when we found out that was what they did. I would've been dryer in the shower!! :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom