News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

doctornick

It would be unwise to destroy that as it is a great place for those not willing to ride/too short to ride to set up a base and play to spend some time.
That's actually what I was thinking, especially for those little tykes who are excited about Tiana but unable (or too scared) to ride. It's a nice alternative distraction when perhaps other members of the family go and ride. It's such a small thing that I think she would easily build a New Orleans version of something similar for the spot and hope they do.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It would be unwise to destroy that as it is a great place for those not willing to ride/too short to ride to set up a base and play to spend some time.

No worries. It's going to be rethemed and renamed to "Tiara's Tiny Playground", a ginormous sandbox where children of all ages can play and dream about one day owning their own food conglomerate if they just dig a little deeper...

Sir_Cliff

This always comes off as so tacky to me. It’s huge “pick me” energy, and makes both parks come off as super desperate.

Maybe try using your handles to promote your own parks, as opposed to commenting on everything Disney does.
I also think the snarkiness of UO's social media toward Disney has grown a bit tiresome, but joking about people selling Splash Mountain water seems more like... well, joking about people selling Splash Mountain water than taking a shot at Disney.

dovetail65

And make it a dinner show thing! Why WDW doesn't have more dinner shows is beyond baffling.
Money is the main issue plus dinner shows are tough to run and make money on over time without change. Hoop De Doo is a miracle really. The effort and talent needed to run a dinner show day in and day out is one of the toughest things to do.

WDW has always had issue with the Equity actors too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they make it too New Orlean ish, then BTMRR won't fit, though. It's kind of a no-win situation.
Calling up the ghost of armchair imagineering past...

So, to visualize my armchair imagineering of reconfiguring the lands. Here's what it is now:

View attachment 652782

Yes, MK maps put Diamond Horseshoe in Liberty Square. And if it's suppose to be set in St. Louis, then it's not Wild West. St. Louis was pretty metropolitan by the early 1800s. Also Haunted Mansion is Gothic upstate NY, not Colonial. And there's a Riverboat in Colonial Philadelphia.

And Country Bears are deep south singing mid-20th century songs, not Wild West. And Splash Mountain is supposed to be Deep South as per the source material, but a veneer of Western decoration was fused onto it to make it fit.

So, what if the Rivers of America really was a tour of the rivers of America (like Jungle Cruise jumps around to the big jungle rivers of the world) -- which is what they do in Disneyland. Then you can match the attraction to the river as thus...

View attachment 652783

So, Haunted Mansion is there because the river next to it is the Hudson River. The Liberty Square port is on the Delaware at Philadelphia. Then we jump to St. Louis and head down the Mississippi. Diamond Horseshoe can lose its thinly veiled Wild West facade and be a more urbane crossroads of the mid-1800s, thematically supporting what is on the other side of the river: Tom Sawyer's Island.

Heading South on the M., we meet the Country Bears. Then when we get to the New Orleans delta, there's Tiana's Restaurant (formerly Pecos Bill) and Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Just beyond New Orleans Square is the Caribbean Gulf where there are Caribbean restaurants (Tortuga) and Pirates.

Continuing on the river, we jump to the Colorado River and see the BTMR. And then we jump to other big rivers of The West such as the Missouri, Yellowstone, Snake, and Columbia and see the Indian Nations along the way.

Drdcm

I had dreams about riding splash mountain last night. It has always been my favorite ride at Disney World ever since I was a little kid. Heres hoping I’ll have good dreams about Tiana’s Bayou Adventure as well. Hoping to have a kid soon, so it’s a good time to make new memories.

Incomudro

Both will have relatively similar exteriors. The main changes from Classic Splash, aside from more plants are the removal of Br’er Fox’s tree and the Briar patch, plus a new water tower.
View attachment 694511
Walt Disney World
View attachment 694513
Disneyland

The original tree/boat was scrapped for two given reasons:
1. Didn't fit with the new salt mine story
2. The mountain structure supposedly couldn't support the boat and tree.
View attachment 694512
Or: 3) It was too expensive to do, and Disney won't admit it.

erasure fan1

The ride was great but my memories will be stronger riding with my dad years ago and more recently with my daughter.
And that is why I say go pound sand to all the dill holes saying "just get over it, it's not that big of a deal" to everyone who's upset. It will not be the same ride when it comes back up. It will have an entirely different feeling, a completely different energy. Will that be a bad thing? Well time will tell. All I know is that some of the greatest memories we have at Disney, are with splash mountain. So yea, this was a big deal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would.
Such a thing would further Disney's trend of less boy, and more girl theming for Magic Kingdom.
This squeezing would be in DL, not MK. And DL has SWL for boys (and girls).

In MK you can seemlessly go from New Orleads to Pirates with a lot of room a nice transition and plenty of space for a Tiana's Place in place of Pecos Bill on one side and Tortuga on the other.

UNCgolf

I'm glad they're not putting the tree/boat on top. While it looks really cool in concept art, I think it would have potentially caused sightline issues due to increasing the height of the facade. I didn't really want it towering over everything else in the area even if it didn't cause overall sightline problems.

Unless they were planning to do it via forced perspective, but after Beast's Castle I wouldn't trust them to do that!

Br0ckford

So we have any idea what the budget for this is going to be? I'd hope it would be a healthy one however you never know anymore.
Better Off Dead Cash GIF by MOODMAN

dovetail65

It was expensive to make Splash mountain so we would hope the re-theme wouldn't come close to that original cost. Even if a retheme was 10% that would be about 45 million.

It cost 190 Million to make Splash Mountain in 1989 or 450 mill in 2023 dollars. FYI the movie Splash Mountain was based on only cost 2 million to make!

Here are some cool numbers, wow 850 million for Smuggler's Run, darn!

Last edited:

JohnD

I'm glad they're not putting the tree/boat on top. While it looks really cool in concept art, I think it would have potentially caused sightline issues due to increasing the height of the facade. I didn't really want it towering over everything else in the area even if it didn't cause overall sightline problems.

Unless they were planning to do it via forced perspective, but after Beast's Castle I wouldn't trust them to do that!
Someone posted earlier that the tree plan was ditched because the current hill wouldn't support it along with the boat stuck in the tree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom