News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Animaniac93-98

It's easier to find the holes in something like Snow White's Scary Adventures when you've seen that movie a few dozen times, but when it comes to new information people tend to make sense of what they see.

First: I didn't see your post before making my reply above. Wish I had because you put in much better words. 😅

Second: It was harder to scrutinize and memorize Disney movies in the days when you had to wait 7 years on average to see them again. Even with things like records and books telling the same stories, you sometimes had deviations from the film. Home video changed that dynamic and I think that's why these book report rides became stricter in their recreations. I don't think it's any coincidence that WDW's Snow White ride reopened from refurbishment in 1994 at the same time the video hit store shelves.

UNCgolf

Frozen is thematically inappropriate for the location, but in a vacuum Frozen is the better attraction. It has countless shortcomings however, and I would argue that it was the worst attraction decision in the history of Walt Disney World.

I think it's arguable that Frozen is a better attraction even in a vacuum. I'm inclined to give the slight nod to Maelstrom because the going backwards scene actually made sense in the context of the ride and having the boats appear outside the attraction was a nice touch.

FEA has always felt unfinished to me -- like they were maybe 3/4 done and then decided to just open it instead of finishing off all the detailing for the scenes. But overall, Maelstrom was not a very good attraction and neither is FEA. It doesn't really matter (at least to me) which one is "better" when neither are worth much.

Regardless, I couldn't agree more with your final clause. And the fact that they've decided to just clone FEA for other parks is nearly as bad as the original decision.

RSoxNo1

I think it's arguable that Frozen is a better attraction even in a vacuum. I'm inclined to give the slight nod to Maelstrom because the going backwards scene actually made sense in the context of the ride and having the boats appear outside the attraction was a nice touch.

FEA has always felt unfinished to me -- like they were maybe 3/4 done and then decided to just open it instead of finishing off all the detailing for the scenes. But overall, Maelstrom was not a very good attraction and neither is FEA. It doesn't really matter (at least to me) which one is "better" when neither are worth much.

Regardless, I couldn't agree more with your final clause. And the fact that they've decided to just clone FEA for other parks is nearly as bad as the original decision.
FEA needed to be purpose built in Fantasyland. It's missing another scene or two and some depth, even Little Mermaid level depth.

matt9112

FEA needed to be purpose built in Fantasyland. It's missing another scene or two and some depth, even Little Mermaid level depth.
I don’t mind the location. There’s this undying belief that all cartoons belong in fantasyland. From a logistical stand point that’s absurd. Spreading rides out across all 4 parks should be the way to go. Furthermore I’m ok with cartoons in world showcase if done right. However FEA needed its own ride. Purpose built. Not just an overlay.

UNCgolf

I don’t mind the location. There’s this undying belief that all cartoons belong in fantasyland. From a logistical stand point that’s absurd. Spreading rides out across all 4 parks should be the way to go. Furthermore I’m ok with cartoons in world showcase if done right. However FEA needed its own ride. Purpose built. Not just an overlay.

I don't think all cartoons belong there, but Frozen is very much a fantasy princess film, so it would be a good fit.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Well, you're completely wrong Box Office-wise. Tangled had a higher loss than Tiana. And while Pocahontas made more money that PatF, it was rated much more poorly by critics and audiences. By BO and ratings, PatF is *not* the 'worst' princess movie. So, by your standards, Rapunzel is less deserving of a ride. And poor Pooh... his last movie had an even bigger loss. Let's rip out his ride!!

While PatF had a loss of $24 Million at the Box Office, it makes money in other windows. For example, it sold 7.2 Million units of DVD/BluRay for a total of $112 Million in sales. That's not counting, back then, it would also make money for Disney being licensed to PPV, Premium Cable, and Broadcast TV.

Then, it makes money for the parks. You may not like the movie, but many others do (again, good marks from audience ratings).

But we've done this before with "PatF isn't popular / isn't a real presence in Disney."

So, @Californian Elitist already gave us plenty of videos of Tiana's presence...

... let's recap the appearances:
  • Tiana had her own M&G spot off of Liberty Square as well as appearing in Princess Fairytale Hall.
  • Tiana's animation launches the very popular HEA.
  • Tiana and friends are heavily featured in the Castle Stage Show (Friendship Faire).
  • Tiana had a dessert party on the Riverboat.
  • Tiana shows up in Festival of Fantasy parade and almost every castle-park parade throughout the world
  • Tiana appears in Fantasmic! (both coasts)
  • Tiana was going to be featured in the now-scrapped Reflections resort
  • PatF was used in Sorcerers of the Kingdom.
  • PatF is featured in Port Orleans resort.
  • Tiana is part of the Disney Princesses 'brand'.
  • Tiana got her own restaurant on the Cruise line where she appears (walkabout M&G) and performs. Plus a PatF lounge. [ WDW... bring that to Orlando! <shakes fist at WDW> ]
  • Dr. Facilier is almost always part of any villain crew that shows up: Halloween Party stage show, parade, and fireworks; club evil; etc...

One more thing to consider if you think PatF isn't profitable for the parks: Y'all hate Chapek, right? Y'all think he's a bottom line cheapskate, right? Do you think he would sign off on all the Tiana M&G, stage appearances, parades, and restaurants if Tiana wasn't a draw? Do you think over the past years (way before the Splash announcement) that he was promoting prime placement for Tiana at a financial loss? If you think that, you don't hate him enough!! ;)
She was so popular that is why they rushed to build so many rides/attractions for her…. Lets call it the way it is. As to why she was picked to replace a perfectly great ride in Splash. No need to play stupid here. You and everyone else cant be that naive…. They chose this ride to overlay bc of how great it is. It has everything you truly can ask for in a Disney ride. Which whether or not you agree with the change. You are still going to ride it for said reasons. Imo tho it has NO chance in being as popular for as long as Splash still is in its run down state and was a perfect excuse to finally rid another AA heavy ride for Cheapskate…

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Where are all the Lion King rides and attractions?

There’s no correlation between popular films/characters and the time it takes for rides and attractions based on them to appear in the parks.
All im saying is this and i will stand by this statement…. There were NO serious plans to replace Splash with Tiana at any point before the social media semi outrage until someone can prove me wrong i will stand by my statement. A company who literally is cheaper than cheap at times and have far more problems was planning on wasting money overhauling literally one of the most popular rides in the MK?!? You truly believe that?!?

Midwest Elitist

All im saying is this and i will stand by this statement…. There were NO serious plans to replace Splash with Tiana at any point before the social media semi outrage until someone can prove me wrong i will stand by my statement. A company who literally is cheaper than cheap at times and have far more problems was planning on wasting money overhauling literally one of the most popular rides in the MK?!? You truly believe that?!?
Both can be true:

The correlation between popularity and attractions

AND

There being no serious effort to replace Splash Mountain before May 2020

Californian Elitist

You’re wrong, according to a very reputable insider here.

But you’re free to believe in whatever conspiracy theory you want.😁👍🏾

yensidtlaw1969

Making baseless claims and insisting they're true unless someone can prove you wrong is . . . not how the burden of proof works.

It has been verified both internally and externally that Disney was working on this prior to 2020. You're not gonna get better proof than that. Choosing not to believe it is your prerogative, but it doesn't make you right.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Making baseless claims and insisting they're true unless someone can prove you wrong is . . . not how the burden of proof works.

It has been verified both internally and externally that Disney was working on this prior to 2020. You're not gonna get better proof than that. Choosing not to believe it is your prerogative, but it doesn't make you right.
I must have missed the press release by Iger or Eisner that this was seriously being replaced.
Last i checked with the countless pages regarding this matter people have also said this was not on table seriously until the kneejerk reaction a couple years ago. So again. Im not saying im right or wrong. Im saying i dont believe for 1 second they were seriously planning on replacing one of its most popular attractions with Tiana in Florida & wasting all this money.

yensidtlaw1969

I must have missed the press release by Iger or Eisner that this was seriously being replaced.
Last i checked with the countless pages regarding this matter people have also said this was not on table seriously until the kneejerk reaction a couple years ago. So again. Im not saying im right or wrong. Im saying i dont believe for 1 second they were seriously planning on replacing one of its most popular attractions with Tiana in Florida & wasting all this money.
Literally the first line of the first press in June 2020 release calls it "a project Imagineers have been working on since last year":

Splash Mountain as we know it has been hovering near the chopping block for years, for a number of reasons. That has since been corroborated by people here who have long-proven track records. Meanwhile the only source for the project being a kneejerk reaction to a twitterstorm is random people saying "I don't buy it", "I just have a feeling", and "Trust me, bro".

DisneyHead123

I think Maelstrom had that “hidden gem” factor going for it. I remember being a kid in Epcot and thinking “bah, I’m in the land of educational rides!” Then lo and behold, tucked away where you weren’t really expecting it (especially in the pre-internet era because you couldn’t Google it) was this surprisingly neat ride. Frozen is just the opposite - super high expectations regarding some of Disney’s most well known IP. (I found it a bit meh but to be fair, maybe it plays better to kids? Kinda like the sugary kid’s cereal of rides?)

Ghost93

I'm sure Splash was considered to be rethemed before 2020 as the company was becoming increasingly concerned about its Song of the South ties, but the George Floyd protests simply escalated the timeline and caused Disney to announce the project way earlier than anticipated. Disney probably would have announced the retheme around 2024 had it not been for the protests.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1658977740659.png

TwilightZone

Boy what happened to believing the trusted insiders on here? Have they really uploaded so infrequently that people just forget how accurate they are? :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom