News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I thought DearPrudence made an interesting point about everything being happy because it was right after World War II.
Confused Thinking GIF by LIDL Romania

Midwest Elitist

To the musically inclined people: what instruments are being used in the Magic Kingdom Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah queue music?

I know we have a bright acoustic guitar, a banjo and harmonica but is that basically it or am I missing more?

Trying to recreate it in music software.

Dear Prudence

Unrelated to the wishy washy element of the flip to PatF....

This ride is in appalling condition. Worst I have ever seen it, and I have ridden it hundreds of times. What the heck is going on?
there was a recent video where the whole attraction had the lights turned off and it was still going. The level of second hand embarrassment 😳

Dear Prudence

I thought DearPrudence made an interesting point about everything being happy because it was right after World War II.
Yup! Post WWII was toxic positivity personified. Whether or not Zip is connected to other stuff doesn't negate that it also exists in that time period where everyone and everything was happy (OR ELSE 🙊🙀). That's another reason why it's probably in C Major. I will certainly miss it in the parks.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

This ride is in appalling condition. Worst I have ever seen it, and I have ridden it hundreds of times. What the heck is going on?

On initial impression, it appears that the poor state of the attraction of both coasts indicates that Disney is just allowing it to limp along until the actual closure happens. However, I'm not so sure that the lack of maintenance correlates with this.

I've heard from Disney Cast Members that one of Disney's largest issues right now is training and retaining enough techs, which leads to many of the maintenance issues we've seen not just with Splash, but with a large number of other attractions as well. I'm sure it's been said many times throughout the thread, but a common narrative surrounding Splash is that its show effects are a maintenance nightmare. It wouldn't surprise me to see that Splash is degrading because they refuse to pay their techs more, rather than letting it fall apart because they plan on closing it.

kalel8145

I won't go back and read 313 pages, I'm sure there are all kinds of good moments here. Just strictly on a re-theme (not speaking on the politics of it), I would be down for it. If done right, it could be really good with the swamps and bogs. I get some are staunch classic ride theme supporters, and I am too for some things. But there is nothing wrong with updating certain rides. I think splash could be one of those that lends itself to a re-theme. Just my opinion.

celluloid

As you can tell from the dragon prominently featured in the centre of its logo, Animal Kingdom was originally intended to include a section devoted to mythical creatures. Not exactly educational, but it would have been great fun. I don’t see how the addition of a Zootopia area would undermine the (ostensible) environmental mission of the rest of the park.
Not direct conservation but mythological animals are a direct tie to how we perceive nature both good and bad. Pandora is the myth of storytelling on a way humans interact with nature. Sometimes questioning whether that animal or environment could exist or not. Not educational in a traditional sense but an inspiring thought provoking one. So mythology has its place.

Zootopia is a story about humans interacting social themes through anthropomorphic animals. I can see why Zootopia is more of a stretch for sure.

RSoxNo1

Because Pandora is about fictional animals, which was always part of the mission. Pandora still isn't a great fit, but Joe Rohde et al. managed to make it work.

Zootopia is about people. It has little to do with actual animals in any way -- they're basically humans dressed up in animal suits dealing with human issues. It fits Animal Kingdom about as well as Disney's Robin Hood would. Even if you ignore all that, I believe the Zootopia they're building in Shanghai is a giant city facade, which they would almost certainly clone. That alone would feel wildly out of place at with the rest of Animal Kingdom.

My larger concern is that if Zootopia works there, then basically anything with an animal (or an anthropomorphic one) should work, which opens Animal Kingdom up to most Disney IPs.
Pandora the land is about the inherent value of nature, albeit on a foreign planet. Animal Kingdom has defined themes, and more so than any other land added to any other park with strictly defined themes, Pandora fits like a glove.

You can argue about ride quality all you want, as that's subjective, but the story treatment for Pandora in DAK is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom