News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not many mountains in New Orleans.

There isn't a mountain in the Splash Mountain ride, either. In the original movie, it's just a pretty low hill and called "Chickapin Hill."

'Hill,' that is, not mountain.

And the outside is mostly just a giant briar patch.

Just because it was named "mountain" buy a Disney exec doesn't make it one. And the actual height of the attraction is not mountainous, either.

And the backstory in the queue contains a ridiculous etymology for it being called "Splash Mountain" (and an etiology for the rivers in the hill):

A backstory explaining how Chickapin Hill became flooded can be seen in a "Rabbit Tales" newspaper story in the queue:
Towering up and above everything hereabouts is Splash Mountain. Used to be that once upon a time, when most of us were still critlins, Splash Mountain was called Chick-A-Pin Hill. But that was then and back before a moonshining raccoon named Rackety, made a slight, but potent error. While mixing an experimental batch of brew, his juice producing still ended up being blown sky high. Many who were there at the time speculated that it was an overabundance of blueberries that caused the disaster.
This was unfortunate, not only for Rackety, but for the industrious Beaver Brothers, who had only recently finished construction on their new dam. Unknown to the Beaver Brothers, Rackety had built his juice still in the woods that backed up to their dam at the high end of the foothills. When the still exploded, the beaver dam burst forth, and all the water is was holding back, flooded the thousands of burrows, holes and tunnels that crisscrossed the inside of Chick-A-Pin Hill. From that time on, all the critters round here couldn't help but call this place Splash Mountain.

The revamped ride with PatF doesn't need to call it a mountain. And just like the big drop is representative of being thrown into a briar patch, and not an actual waterfall, so, too, the drop in Tiana's ride can represent something other than a waterfall, for example, riding the cresting waters of a breached levee.

UNCgolf

And just like the big drop is representative of being thrown into a briar patch, and not an actual waterfall, so, too, the drop in Tiana's ride can represent something other than a waterfall, for example, riding the cresting waters of a breached levee.

I get your point, but pretty sure Disney isn't going to want to build a ride that involves the levees breaching in New Orleans.

Brer Oswald

It being a mountain is much less of an issue than it being in Frontierland. Unless Tiana and Co. are planning to wear Western clothes, living in farmlands, and playing their music in the Bluegrass style instead of Jazz, because those were the modifications they made to the Brer gang when designing the mountain for Florida.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Found this on Instagram. Maybe that could be the riverboat at the end. Naveen plays for the Brers. Brer Rabbit dances with Tiana, Brer Fox is annoyed and Brer Bear dances along. 🤣🤣
Screenshot_20200719-144024_Instagram.jpg

Animaniac93-98

Found this on Instagram. Maybe that could be the riverboat at the end. Naveen plays for the Brers. Brer Rabbit dances with Tiana, Brer Fox is annoyed and Brer Bear dances along. 🤣🤣View attachment 484800

It's a cute idea, but the goal is to eliminate ALL references to SotS. Having "tributes" or "cameos" defeats the main purpose.

Mr. Blue Bird is the only one I see them getting away with if they try something like that.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
It's a cute idea, but the goal is to eliminate ALL references to SotS. Having "tributes" or "cameos" defeats the main purpose.

Mr. Blue Bird is the only one I see them getting away with if they try something like that.
I actually think either Br'er Frog or Br'er Gator could slip through the cracks [remove BF's outfit and turn BG away from the riders]

LittleBuford

It being a mountain is much less of an issue than it being in Frontierland. Unless Tiana and Co. are planning to wear Western clothes, living in farmlands, and playing their music in the Bluegrass style instead of Jazz, because those were the modifications they made to the Brer gang when designing the mountain for Florida.

The Country Bears are Southern, though, and cause no thematic disturbance to Frontierland. As long as the attraction’s exterior is appropriately adapted, I don’t think it’s a problem to have a New Orleans flavour inside.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

The Country Bears are Southern, though, and cause no thematic disturbance to Frontierland. As long as the attraction’s exterior is appropriately adapted, I don’t think it’s a problem to have a New Orleans flavour in the inside.
The music fits though. It’s a common style between all of the attractions. Maybe MK’s Frontierland just had a Southern theme this whole time?

EagleScout610

Premium Member
They absolutely could have chosen another movie, or original idea, but they went with PatF for specific, obvious reasons, despite it not being the best fit.

I'd give them a pass in California. Florida and (possibly) Tokyo? That's harder to get behind.
Tokyo apparently told Disney to go pound sand over the remodel

tanc

Wonder how much it will cost, original splash was about $186 million inflated to now. I wonder if it will be a $200+ million redo because of how much would need to be rethemed. Especially if the ride has to be dismantled and rebuilt from any part.

GoneForGood

Wonder how much it will cost, original splash was about $186 million inflated to now. I wonder if it will be a $200+ million redo because of how much would need to be rethemed. Especially if the ride has to be dismantled and rebuilt from any part.
THIS is my big concern. The Laughing Place Scene in particular on BOTH coasts honestly.
At DL it takes place in an underground cavern(Which as a native Louisianian, we don't even have basements due to the water table..how can they go underground during a PATF adventure?)..and WDW is going to be tougher, with the laughing place being themed to a WESTERN mineshaft to match the Fronteirland setting..and both of these have relatively low hanging ceilings/stalactites and stalagmites...

One would have to ask how that is going to work. It WILL cost Disney a lot..I'm honestly curious how they're going to do this.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
THIS is my big concern. The Laughing Place Scene in particular on BOTH coasts honestly.
At DL it takes place in an underground cavern(Which as a native Louisianian, we don't even have basements due to the water table..how can they go underground during a PATF adventure?)..and WDW is going to be tougher, with the laughing place being themed to a WESTERN mineshaft to match the Fronteirland setting..and both of these have relatively low hanging ceilings/stalactites and stalagmites...

One would have to ask how that is going to work. It WILL cost Disney a lot..I'm honestly curious how they're going to do this.
One word: screens

dig311dug

I can't fathom them taking down one of the most popular attractions (and a decent "people eater") when things start to get back to normal and crowds return. So this project must be way down the pipeline.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Why not give WDW's Splash Mountain a different facelift?

Given it's location and surrounding themes, wouldn't it make more sense to take a page from the beloved Aesop fables and use the AA critters within to continue the themes of tall tales, folklores and legends? You already have Pecos Bill across the way. Continue that treatment with a John Henry-based Big Thunder. Looking at Splash Mountain itself, wouldn't a "Tortoise and the Hare" overlay be ideal? They can keep the morality stories, most of the AA critters, the folktale concepts and even the Fronterland motif.

I think the fable in which ingenuity and trickery are employed to overcome the stronger opponent is a perfect theme for a flume ride - with much of the attractions original scenes remaining unchanged.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Why not give WDW's Splash Mountain a different facelift?

Given it's location and surrounding themes, wouldn't it make more sense to take a page from the beloved Aesop fables and use the AA critters within to continue the themes of tall tales, folklores and legends? You already have Pecos Bill across the way. Continue that treatment with a John Henry-based Big Thunder. Looking at Splash Mountain itself, wouldn't a "Tortoise and the Hare" overlay be ideal? They can keep the morality stories, most of the AA critters, the folktale concepts and even the Fronterland motif.

I think the the fable in which ingenuity and trickery are employed to overcome the stronger opponent is a perfect theme for a flume ride with much of the attractions original scenes remaining unchanged.
Seems to me like they're pretty dead set on PaTG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom