News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
And it's a perfect IP for Disneyland's Splash Mountain
I think its safe to assume the SOTS theming on both coasts is toast but the question is what does wdw to not embarrass themselves with a sparkly Princess Mountain in the middle of the American West

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think its safe to assume the SOTS theming on both coasts is toast but the question is what does wdw to not embarrass themselves with a sparkly Princess Mountain in the middle of the American West

Exactly. The Aesop fable can be made to work in ANY setting. Not going to happen obviously but it's a better fit than the PatF story, at least in WDW. Not knocking PatF though. Fun movie. Just think it should be showcased elsewhere in WDW.
(Treehouse, Aladdin Spinner, Restaurant)

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Princess and the Grof

download.jpg

wdrive

Why not give WDW's Splash Mountain a different facelift?

Given it's location and surrounding themes, wouldn't it make more sense to take a page from the beloved Aesop fables and use the AA critters within to continue the themes of tall tales, folklores and legends? You already have Pecos Bill across the way. Continue that treatment with a John Henry-based Big Thunder. Looking at Splash Mountain itself, wouldn't a "Tortoise and the Hare" overlay be ideal? They can keep the morality stories, most of the AA critters, the folktale concepts and even the Fronterland motif.

I think the the fable in which ingenuity and trickery are employed to overcome the stronger opponent is a perfect theme for a flume ride with much of the attractions original scenes remaining unchanged.

Both Bobs would read this and vomit

Touchdown

Princess and the Grof

They say,
Brer Rabbit is leaving his home and slipping away
Insane!
Now I’ll take my daughter and move in and stay
It’s true!
I truely enjoy watching my peasants gawk as they pass by
I’ll sing!
And they will adore and love me
Forever, and ever, and ever
Theyll come back
Again and again
My queue will be full from open to close
Boarding groups
May be needed
And I’ll love you till my dying days!

Riverrafter21

THIS is my big concern. The Laughing Place Scene in particular on BOTH coasts honestly.
At DL it takes place in an underground cavern(Which as a native Louisianian, we don't even have basements due to the water table..how can they go underground during a PATF adventure?)..and WDW is going to be tougher, with the laughing place being themed to a WESTERN mineshaft to match the Fronteirland setting..and both of these have relatively low hanging ceilings/stalactites and stalagmites...

One would have to ask how that is going to work. It WILL cost Disney a lot..I'm honestly curious how they're going to do this.

Don't worry this will be handled by the same brain trust which gave us pirates who bid on grandfather clocks

RSoxNo1

Splash Mountain is not the only problematic attraction in that area, there are 4 by my count: Splash Mountain, Country Bear Jamboree, Tom Sawyer Island and Hall of Presidents.

If you really want to look at viability of everything with money not being an object, the move would be to replace Liberty Square and part of Frontierland with New Orleans Square. Frontierland could then be extended over to Tom Sawyer Island with an additional major ride, perhaps a boat ride featuring the less problematic country bears?

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Splash Mountain is not the only problematic attraction in that area, there are 4 by my count: Splash Mountain, Country Bear Jamboree, Tom Sawyer Island and Hall of Presidents.

If you really want to look at viability of everything with money not being an object, the move would be to replace Liberty Square and part of Frontierland with New Orleans Square. Frontierland could then be extended over to Tom Sawyer Island with an additional major ride, perhaps a boat ride featuring the less problematic country bears?
I don't see it working sadly.

Riverrafter21

Then we can change the castle to St. Louis Cathedral, change pirates to the DL version, turn the jungle cruise into a swamp tour, change the canteen into Blue Bayou, replace the birds with fireflies in the tikiroom, turn the country bears into a alligator review staring Louis, change the haunted mansion into Dr. Facilier's voodoo mansion, change Tom Sawyer's island into Mama Odie's swamp, have every restaurant serve gumbo and beignets, and turn main street into bourbon street.

...or maybe in "reality" we shouldn't change large portions of the park for just one movie :rolleyes:

Basil of Baker Street

To me, Hall of Presidents is one of those attractions you see once or twice and then your done. I would be perfectly fine with a replacement. But I'm no fan of Carousel of Progress either. <gasp>

RSoxNo1

Then we can change the castle to St. Louis Cathedral, change pirates to the DL version, turn the jungle cruise into a swamp tour, change the canteen into Blue Bayou, replace the birds with fireflies in the tikiroom, turn the country bears into a alligator review staring Louis, change the haunted mansion into Dr. Facilier's voodoo mansion, change Tom Sawyer's island into Mama Odie's swamp, have every restaurant serve gumbo and beignets, and turn main street into bourbon street.

...or maybe in "reality" we shouldn't change large portions of the park for just one movie :rolleyes:
The thing is, Liberty Square and the time it represents is representative of a dark time in our country for many Disney guests. Many of the attractions stretching from Liberty Square to Splash Mountain have their own issues that are largely tied directly or indirectly to that sensitivity. You can update them piecemeal (which is likely what they will do). Or you can do the more dramatic refresh that solves the problem all at once.

Really this all boils down to my wanting Cafe Orleans in the Magic Kingdom.

_caleb

In another thread, @lazyboy97o raised the question about whether the trains will need to be stopped during the retheme of Splash Mountain as they have been for the construction of TRON. Just wanted to post that here (as it's relevant to the thread) along with my hope that they can figure out a way to keep the train running. (Extra points if we were able to get a glimpse of the work being done as the train passes through the mountain)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom