News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Well, we can stop wondering: there's a plaque on the building inscribed with its name and supposed date, which is 1643:

45745231582_24c33d300c_b.jpg

When this was added I don't know; it doesn't look to me like something from 1973, when the ride first opened. It's worth noting that the "A.D." is in the wrong place—it should precede the date, not follow it.

fgmnt

Forgive me. I have never been on it. But It seemed like a fight with some big boss dude that we never saw in the MCU so I assumed nothing really breaking the story.

In any case my point is valid. Using the doctor is an obvious choice that makes sense and yet here we are thinking disney isn’t using him because he died?
I dont care enough to find out where it exists in the timeline, but my limited knowledge of MCU canon tells my brain that it can’t be after guardians 1 because groot is an adult, it can’t be after endgame because gamora is ???, and it cant be after guardians 2 or 3 because there is no Mantis or Nebula on the ship.

I think it is a very fun rollercoaster and is a mechanical triumph for the company, in that they perfectly straddled the line of being a roller coaster that is thrilling and for all ages. The performances by everyone except Close and Cooper left a lot to be desired and the story feels like it did not get cleared by Marvel Studios’ A-team, much less developed.

MagicHappens1971

I dont care enough to find out where it exists in the timeline, but my limited knowledge of MCU canon tells my brain that it can’t be after guardians 1 because groot is an adult, it can’t be after endgame because gamora is ???, and it cant be after guardians 2 or 3 because there is no Mantis or Nebula on the ship.

I think it is a very fun rollercoaster and is a mechanical triumph for the company, in that they perfectly straddled the line of being a roller coaster that is thrilling and for all ages. The performances by everyone except Close and Cooper left a lot to be desired and the story feels like it did not get cleared by Marvel Studios’ A-team, much less developed.
Marvel Theme Park attractions exist outside of the MCU Canon. In the Marvel Theme Park Universe

IronRod

I have no insider info (and I'd love to see some of our remaining insiders chime in) but I assume they will be doing a LOT of back-end work as part of this. I suspect they really have no choice - like with HM and POTC before their major refurbs, things like the audio system, etc. are practically ancient.
I’ve always found the audio system to be subpar. I always thought it was the animatronics / water rushing, but when they lowered the music for an announcement it is dead silent.

peter11435

I wouldn’t be shocked if they updated the sensors and computer system of the ride as well. If I recall correctly, there are two independent computer systems running the ride and occasionally issues are caused by them not being in sync. This could likely be changed to a single, more reliable system.
Most attractions operate with a similar dual system. It’s a safety feature not a flaw. Don’t expect that to change.

FettFan

I got the impression the primary motivator was Hulu, the Fox catalog was just the icing on the cake.

Yeah but when Disney started to stream R-rated content on D+ this past summer, Hulu essentially outlived its usefulness.

Fourthly, for 20th Century and Searchlight to make adult and award-winning movies (which was something Disney was missing).

Strangely enough, they already had that with Touchstone.

EDIT - …which im just now discovering was shuttered in 2017 prior to the Fox deal.

It’s like a cavalcade of nonsense.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
At this point I actually think it's kind of cruel to keep Splash running until the 23rd.

How Do Ya Do
  • First frog moving very slowly
  • Goose moving very shakily and barely moving
  • Goose trio on right barely moving at all
  • Third goose paralyzed from the neck down
  • One of the geese has an air leak (Couldn’t tell which one)
  • Br’er Fox audio giving out
  • Br'er Fox paralyzed from the neck down
  • Br'er Rabbit only moving his head and arm
  • Mr. Bluebird not moving
  • Br'er Raccoon not moving
  • Shadow animation not playing even though audio still plays
  • Br'er Fox slumped forward and barely moving yelling at Br’er Bear
  • Br'er Bear not going up and down in the trap.
  • Br'er Bear speaker giving out, can barely hear it next to Br'er Fox and the music
  • Br’er Frog in complete darkness and not moving
  • Br’er Roadrunner not moving mouth
  • Air leaks in Upper Laughin Place getting worse
    • Sounds like one of the possums is leaking now too
  • Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear not moving at the top of the dip drop
  • Br’er Fox speaker now completely out

Laughin' Place/Burrow’s Lament/Big Drop
  • Br'er Bear being stung audio is now completely turned off
  • Br'er Bear with beehive completely tipped to one side and barely twitching
  • Laughing Br'er Rabbit mouth broken
  • Br'er Fox with beehive barely moving
  • No jumping water in Laughin' Place
  • Laughin' Place nearly pitch black aside from the character spots
  • Neither turtle going up and down
  • Fountain only running under one turtle
  • Second frog has a broken jaw
  • F-S-U Weasel audio clipping over itself
  • Trapped Br’er Rabbit mouth not moving
  • Br'er Fox holding Br'er Rabbit looks very very dirty.
  • Br'er Fox jaw going WAAAYY too fast compared to the rest of him.
  • Right boothill boy not moving
  • Vulture audio sounds distorted
  • Tied up Br'er Rabbit barely moving
  • Br'er Fox shadow comes on after boat is already past
  • Br'er Rabbit audio cutting off Br'er Fox audio
    • Br’er Fox next line starts before Rabbit has finished line

Zip a Dee Doo Dah
  • Neither of the two remaining Swamp Boys moving
  • Zip-A-Dee-Lady not rocking back and forth
  • Brown Hen on top level of boat stuck looking all the way back and not moving side from tambourine
  • Organ pig only moving arms
  • Three can-can geese out of sync
  • Tan hen on farthest left stuck looking up and not moving aside from tambourine
  • Captain Goose slumped over, barely moving
  • Saddlesore Swanson barely moving
  • Br'er Toad only moving his head
  • Audio turned off for Toad/Turkey
  • Entire Gator attack scene turned off
  • Br'er Rabbit only swaying back and forth in Home Sweet Home scene

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

On top of Groot dying in Guardians 1, the one that appears in the all other movies is his son & has a different design.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah but when Disney started to stream R-rated content on D+ this past summer, Hulu essentially outlived its usefulness.
Iger’s gonna probably get rid of the R and MA-rated content from D+, since that was Chapek’s idiotic idea, unless there’s a plan to bring the Star hub to the American D+.

FettFan

Thanks to Spider-Man NWH, the Loki series, What If…?, and the upcoming Quantumania, they’ll just chalk it up that Epcot exists in a pocket dimension created by Strange Supreme in a battle against Kang the Conqueror.

Or they won’t and just chalk it up to “don’t think about it just keep buying things”.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks to Spider-Man NWH, the Loki series, What If…?, and the upcoming Quantumania, they’ll just chalk it up that Epcot exists in a pocket dimension created by Strange Supreme in a battle against Kang the Conqueror.

Or they won’t and just chalk it up to “don’t think about it just keep buying things”.
The y"chalked this up" in the retheming of DCA's ToT to Mission Breakout by simply saying "different universe."

You can't have The Collector in the MCU work with the Guardians keeping an Infinity Stone safe, and then 'collecting' them in the ride. It's obvious from the start that the stories don't align.

There's no prevaricating here. From the onset of Marvel characters in the parks, they were specifically said not be *the* MCU versions. Just like the comic book versions are not the MCU versions.

Smiley/OCD

At this point I actually think it's kind of cruel to keep Splash running until the 23rd.

How Do Ya Do
• First frog not moving
• Second bunny stuck turned away from shadow
• Br'er Fox slumped forward and barely moving
• Br'er Bear only moving arms in trap
• Br'er Bear speaker giving out, can barely hear it next to Br'er Fox and the music
• Br'er Rabbit audio is waaay too loud again

• Trapped Br’er Rabbit only moving his feet
• Tied up Br'er Rabbit not moving

Zip a Dee Doo Dah
• Brown Hen on top level of boat stuck looking all the way back and not moving
• Organ pig not moving
• Tan hen on farthest left stuck looking up and not moving aside from tambourine
• Br'er Toad not moving
• Br'er Rabbit barely moving in home sweet home scene

My wife and I are here now…rode it twice on Friday and once Saturday night. While I agree at least 50% of the AA’s aren’t working properly or at all, I don’t think it should be closed now. It’s almost like (for lack of a better term), visiting an old friend when you know the end is near. It’s one of those situations where you’ll regret not going.

Last edited:

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

How Do Ya Do
• First frog not moving
• Second bunny stuck turned away from shadow
• Br'er Fox slumped forward and barely moving
• Br'er Bear only moving arms in trap
• Br'er Rabbit audio is waaay too loud again

• Trapped Br’er Rabbit only moving his feet
• Tied up Br'er Rabbit not moving

Zip a Dee Doo Dah
• Brown Hen on top level of boat stuck looking all the way back and not moving
• Organ pig not moving
• Br'er Toad not moving
• Br'er Rabbit barely moving in home sweet home scene

I rode it today before it shut down for half the day. The state its in is really sad, its almost like they deliberately avoided maintaining something they knew would close. At one point today, the wait time was about 85 mins and that was before it shut down AGAIN. They gave us lightning lane vouchers to use on any ride which we ended up using on Pirates of the Caribbean.

I noticed the following on today's ride through:

How Do You Do?
  • Br'er Frog animatronic at the start doesn't talk until you're more than halfway up
  • Geese on right side moved erratically
  • Frogs made very audible joint clicking noises
  • Lights were barely on, only certain scenes were illuminated
  • Projected shadows of the Br'er trio running over the hill wasn't working
  • Second Br'er Fox was silent for a good 20 seconds before talking
  • Br'er Bear moves his arms and head
  • Million dollar bunny is obviously broken, I didn't see hide nor hair of it actually and I'm wondering if they took it out.
  • Roadrunner was talking but its beak was out of sync.
  • Possums were barely moving
  • Br'er Fox missing hat, Br'er Rabbit's head moves weirdly
Everybody's Got a Laughin' Place
  • Br'er Bear with beehive barely moving, sort of shimmies around.
  • Turtles don't go up and down, are just stuck sitting on top of the geysers
  • Weasels are out of sync with the audio
  • Br'er Rabbit moves his head and twitches his feet but doesn't move his mouth
  • Tied up Br'er Rabbit barely moves, if at all
  • Br'er Fox projection is out of sync and pops up before the audio even starts in some cases, sometimes appears when the log is halfway up.
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
This entire scene is broken, there's too much to list

RSoxNo1

I'm glad I was able to ride Splash Mountain 3 times last week, but if any of Disney's franchise partners operated an attraction this way, they would be in breach of contract.

I actually expected it to be worse, but the attraction is not show ready nor will it be before it closes. I mentioned to a CM upon exiting the first ride through, "this thing is limping to the finish line" and all he could do was laugh.

fgmnt

One thing I am struck by having returned from a trip where I rode the newest major attraction on property (Rewind) and Splash Mountain within 24 hours, is how well-built the Splash Mountain experience is. Though the ride has not been show-ready for a visit I made this year (obviously on purpose), I still can respect how well-paced and lovingly sensational (in the literal way of how it engages your senses of sight, scent, sound, and touch) the entire encounter is in comparison to what now passes for a major attraction. It is a ride designed by people who knew exactly how to engage their audience in a unique and memorable experience. You are moving in a Splash Mountain log more than 3x as long as you do so in the Rewind Omnicoaster. You are naturally directed to more unique set pieces through a single act of Splash Mountain than you are spun into on Rewind.

I know this is not a remotely novel observation, but it is really striking to be reminded exactly how they quite literally do not make them like they used to.

Midwest Elitist

One thing I am struck by having returned from a trip where I rode the newest major attraction on property (Rewind) and Splash Mountain within 24 hours, is how well-built the Splash Mountain experience is. Though the ride has not been show-ready for a visit I made this year (obviously on purpose), I still can respect how well-paced and lovingly sensational (in the literal way of how it engages your senses of sight, scent, sound, and touch) the entire encounter is in comparison to what now passes for a major attraction. It is a ride designed by people who knew exactly how to engage their audience in a unique and memorable experience. You are moving in a Splash Mountain log more than 3x as long as you do so in the Rewind Omnicoaster. You are naturally directed to more unique set pieces through a single act of Splash Mountain than you are spun into on Rewind.

I know this is not a remotely novel observation, but it is really striking to be reminded exactly how they quite literally do not make them like they used to.
This is going to be the main problem with TBA: the building was NOT built for it. It can be shoehorned well, at the most but at the end of the day: it will be shoehorned in.

IronRod

I rode it today before it shut down for half the day. The state its in is really sad, its almost like they deliberately avoided maintaining something they knew would close. At one point today, the wait time was about 85 mins and that was before it shut down AGAIN. They gave us lightning lane vouchers to use on any ride which we ended up using on Pirates of the Caribbean.

How Do You Do?
  • Br'er Frog animatronic at the start doesn't talk until you're more than halfway up
  • Million dollar bunny is obviously broken, I didn't see hide nor hair of it actually and I'm wondering if they took it out.
  • Br'er Fox projection is out of sync and pops up before the audio even starts in some cases, sometimes appears when the log is halfway up.
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
Million dollar bunny is definitely still there. I saw it on Saturday. He’s really hidden back there. I wish they would turn it one last time, even though it would probably just twitch angrily. I never heard what was so complex about it. I guess putting an already complex animatronic on a robotic arm didn’t help.

Smiley/OCD

How Do You Do?
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
See, that’s what worries me about the amount of AA’s that will be carried over from Splash. I know I’m being rational, but to me, it would be better (and more cost effective) to maintain the ones that are going to be reskinned. By ongoing maintenance, it would lessen the down time for the reboot. The amount of inoperable AA’s is just leading me to believe that they will be removed.

phillip9698

Why would you compare a slow log ride through show scenes to a coaster? A more apt comparison would be to compare coasters built in the same era as Splash to Guardians so BTMR to Guardians.

If you are gonna compare show scene rides it would be better to use Rise.

Last edited:

discos

See, that’s what worries me about the amount of AA’s that will be carried over from Splash. I know I’m being rational, but to me, it would be better (and more cost effective) to maintain the ones that are going to be reskinned. By ongoing maintenance, it would lessen the down time for the reboot. The amount of inoperable AA’s is just leading me to believe that they will be removed.
They could rebuild some of them as they did with the three cabs at Epcot but at that point just build brand new figures. Maybe some of the smaller basic figures could be reused like the raccoon playing the turtle. The entire finale just needs to go to the landfill though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom