News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

It should be. It's on a huge footprint and most families can get a much better version of the same experience closer to home or at other vacation destinations. It would be one thing if it was a really impressive, unique version of that attraction (i.e. something you could only do at Disney) but it's not even close to that. It's likely in the bottom 25% of ones that exist around the US.

They could put in a much better attraction there plus a table service restaurant.

You can also say that about Cosmic Rays just as much as you can say about Speedway and many other things. They are popular, relatively low cost and well received, so it remains.

Rich Brownn

And it isn't just for old farts who've been visiting for 40+ years. I took my daughter on it for the first time 2 years ago when she was 5, and she absolutely loves the ride and "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow," and is adamant that we ride it every trip. Makes me feel like I'm doing some things right....
I remember standing in the endless line at the NYWF to see the original CoP. (Oddly for me the coolest moment was when they fused an atom in the post-show)

UNCgolf

You can also say that about Cosmic Rays just as much as you can say about Speedway and many other things. They are popular, relatively low cost and well received, so it remains.

Not really. The Magic Kingdom needs food service locations; eliminating Cosmic Rays would make the overall MK situation even worse.

Replacing the Speedway, on the other hand, could increase attraction capacity and increase other capacity, like dining.

Last edited:

celluloid

Not really. The Magic Kingdom needs food service locations; eliminating Cosmic Rays would make the overall MK situation even worse.

Replacing the Speedway, on the other hand, would increase attraction capacity and increase other capacity, like dining.

Not really does not mean it is not the reality. I get that you don't like it, but most of the general public are fine with it.

The magic Kingdom needing food service locations does not mean it needs to have less than Hardee's quality burgers and an undermaintained Audio Animatronic.(and I like Cosmic Rays overall, but let's not pretend it is on par with what it could be or kept up with what it was designed to be. I never said eliminate it or anything else. There are regional theme parks with better burger places. So your "Not really" comment does not make sense.

Speedway having a very low height requirement and flexible staffing and capacity helps the other no height attractions of Tomorrowland and Magic Kingdom have lower waits. It could be better and you don't have to like.ir, but it serves its purpose, clearly, or it would not be there.

UNCgolf

Not really does not mean it is not the reality. I get that you don't like it, but most of the general public are fine with it.

The magic Kingdom needing food service locations does not mean it needs to have less than Hardee's quality burgers and an undermaintained Audio Animatronic.(and I like Cosmic Rays overall, but let's not pretend it is on par with what it could be or kept up with what it was designed to be. I never said eliminate it or anything else. There are regional theme parks with better burger places. So your "Not really" comment does not make sense.

Speedway having a very low height requirement and flexible staffing and capacity helps the other no height attractions of Tomorrowland and Magic Kingdom have lower waits. It could be better and you don't have to like.ir, but it serves its purpose, clearly, or it would not be there.

They don't have to tear down and replace Cosmic Ray's to improve the food quality, so that argument doesn't make any sense.

Your response feels emotional rather than logical. It's fine if you like the Speedway and want it to stay, but "it serves a purpose or it would not be there" is nonsense. Everything currently in the parks serves a purpose, but that area could serve a much better purpose, which is the whole point. It's an incredibly inefficient use of space for Disney, among the worst anywhere on property -- it's often close to a walk-on even on relatively busy days.

It's obviously not something they need to shut down tomorrow, and they should use the existing expansion pads (and other empty locations in Tomorrowland) before they replace anything else. But I'd be shocked if Disney hasn't considered replacements, because they know that's valuable real estate that could be utilized far better.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

All this tear down, reimagine, replace and build new stuff just means a never-ending lack of operational attractions but plenty of scrim and construction walls (some tastefully decorated but mostly eye sores). It would be nice to have the parks fully operational with no destruction / construction activity, just briefly.

celluloid

They don't have to tear down and replace Cosmic Ray's to improve the food quality, so that argument doesn't make any sense.

Everything about your response seems emotional rather than logical. It's fine if you like the Speedway and want it to stay, but "it serves a purpose or it would not be there" is nonsense. Everything currently in the parks serves a purpose, but that area could serve a much better purpose, which is the whole point -- like and/or dislike are essentially irrelevant. It's an incredibly inefficient use of space for Disney, among the worst anywhere on property.

No one said they did need to tear anything down to simply improve it.

I don't really like Speedway, but I am not
emotionally invested to to think I need to enjoy everything equally. You think they need to completely tear down speedway to improve it?

My disagreement based on observed facts make .my posts nonsense?

My point was similar to your other post. There are many things at WDW right now that are sub par for what they should be.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

All this tear down, reimagine, replace and build new stuff just means a never-ending lack of operational attractions but plenty of scrim and construction walls (some tastefully decorated but mostly eye sores). It would be nice to have the parks fully operational with no destruction / construction activity, just briefly.

This is actually the biggest issue with replacing the Speedway. It would be a large construction zone right in the middle of the park now that TRON is behind it.

But yes, I agree that they should use all existing expansion (and abandoned) spaces before they do any more replacing.

celluloid

We had it and then it was dying for like nine years when Iger promised to invest in them as they were. Now they are so far behind there is lots to be desired.

UNCgolf

No one said they did need to tear anything down to simply improve it.

I don't really like Speedway, but I am not
emotionally invested to to think I need to enjoy everything equally. You think they need to completely tear down speedway to improve it?

My disagreement based on observed facts makes.my.posts nonsense?

It's unlikely they can improve what currently exists enough to make it worthwhile from a park operations standpoint without completing demolishing it, although changing it to electric vehicles and adding a bunch of landscaping (or other theming around the track) would certainly help.

Also, what observable facts are you talking about? The fact that it takes up a huge area and gets very little use?

I feel like we're arguing two different things. I'm arguing what makes the most sense for Magic Kingdom operationally; my personal like or dislike of an attraction doesn't matter. I don't really care about the Speedway either way, but it's the one existing attraction space that could dramatically increase the park's capacity in multiple ways.

It's a bit like Ellen's Energy being changed into Guardians. I don't personally like that specific change because I don't think Guardians is a good fit at EPCOT, but replacing Ellen in general with something new in general made sense because it got very little use. Replacing the Speedway would likely add more usable capacity to MK than that did for EPCOT.

celluloid

It's unlikely they can improve what currently exists enough to make it worthwhile from a park operations standpoint without completing demolishing it, although changing it to electric vehicles and adding a bunch of landscaping (or other theming around the track) would certainly help.

Also, what observable facts are you talking about? The fact that it takes up a huge area and gets very little use?
The observable facts would be Speedway often has high ridership, and it's guest satisfaction for whatever reason is good with the general public. Disney would not keep it if it was not. It's low cost and high return on what they are after. Ellen's Energy Adventure did not, particularly near the end. Not a good comparison. It seems to bother you that Disney is fine with it. It bothers me Disney is fine with a lot of things being good enough at the stateside parks, but I don't have this agenda against Speedway running so much more than others. There are far worse.offenders for wasted capacity and space such as actual empty venues. Why so hostile?

Blue sky all you want, but it remains for a reason, Tron was the ultimate example and oppertunity of why it could have been more modified or taken out but was not. I would love plussing for it and many other things, but I get why it is not their priority. I don't think I am the one emotionally responding any more than another.

And calling my post nonsense after providing reasoning you inquire or comment on would seem to be only an insult.

Last edited:

celluloid

When the space can fit at least two HMs, I don't get why it's even an argument that the Speedway plot could be used more efficiently.

Who said it could not be used more efficiently? In that sense TDO probably loves it more. It is somewhat easily modified if they do ever need the space. For now it's nice landscaping for what is currently there. Disney has to want something there for it to be a waste of space. Current leadership has already gotten comfortable just closing venues and attractions with no plans to reopen for daily guests. Which is what my post was that was called nonsense. There is plenty of slip of quality and ideal ops throughout WDW that guests can get better elsewhere often closer to their home. It's not like Speedway is the only offender. It may be meh for many but it's good enough for many and well, there.
Let's get empty and lower attended venues something better first.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Who said it could not be used more efficiently? In that sense TDO probably loves it more. It is somewhat easily modified if they do ever need the space. For now it's nice landscaping for what is currently there. Disney has to want something there for it to be a waste of space. Current leadership has already gotten comfortable just closing venues and attractions with no plans to reopen for daily guests. Which is what my post was that was called nonsense. There is plenty of slip of quality and ideal ops throughout WDW that guests can get better elsewhere often closer to their home. It's not like Speedway is the only offender. It may be meh for many but it's good enough for many and well, there.
10 years........

Chip Chipperson

I say keep the Speedway but give it an overhaul. Electric cars (maybe with fake solar panels to "charge" them) and a ton of rock work to make it so that you're driving on the moon or Mars. It would fit the Tomorrowland theme better but still retain an attraction that families enjoy. In theory, the work should take much less time than replacing it with a completely new ride or multiple rides.

KaliSplash

I say keep the Speedway but give it an overhaul. Electric cars (maybe with fake solar panels to "charge" them) and a ton of rock work to make it so that you're driving on the moon or Mars. It would fit the Tomorrowland theme better but still retain an attraction that families enjoy. In theory, the work should take much less time than replacing it with a completely new ride or multiple rides.
The problem with this approach is it would cost $. That doesn't seem to be the current plan. If they were willing to spend money they could make many things better, including the speedway that young children love. Mickey sees no reason to spend money to improve anything because we keep flocking there no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom