News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It all boils down to a lack of attractions in 3 of the 4 parks.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.
I agree with this.

...I do not agree with GMR being considered a lackluster attraction, though... And I believe that the AA's are what boosted that classic attraction's show quality. That is solely what I was originally replying to.

rio

I personally think MMRR is a better attraction than Rise, and that it really does fit the theme of Hollywood Studios. It was easily the highlight of my last visits.

My concern with Splash is simply its length. It is significantly longer and on a completely different scale than most long flumes, and really pulls you into the story. If the show scenes aren’t spectacular and draw you in, it’ll be a boring ride.

ToTBellHop

I personally think MMRR is a better attraction than Rise, and that it really does fit the theme of Hollywood Studios. It was easily the highlight of my last visits.

My concern with Splash is simply its length. It is significantly longer and on a completely different scale than most long flumes, and really pulls you into the story. If the show scenes aren’t spectacular and draw you in, it’ll be a boring ride.
Let’s hope they are already busy making the new AAs now. That’s really the only way for this to be good given the turnaround time—to have everything produced ahead of time and then plopped in place.

Taken another way, 18 months SHOULD be enough time for a full remodel. They just don’t usually build that quickly. Maybe here they will because they want the new ride in MK and DL as quickly as possible. So, I’m skeptical but solely based upon their track record in recent years. I don’t know enough about the planned content to judge.

drizgirl

Let’s hope they are already busy making the new AAs now. That’s really the only way for this to be good given the turnaround time—to have everything produced ahead of time and then plopped in place.

Taken another way, 18 months SHOULD be enough time for a full remodel. They just don’t usually build that quickly. Maybe here they will because they want the new ride in MK and DL as quickly as possible. So, I’m skeptical but solely based upon their track record in recent years. I don’t know enough about the planned content to judge.
How long could it take to make 2 or 3 new AAs anyway?

celluloid

I'm not sure I understand the bolded. If Splash Mountain were to experience the same fate as the Great Movie Ride, that would be a good thing, since they successfully replaced the latter with something more popular.

That logic would revolve around Splash Mountain not being popular. It is still incredibly popular, one of the most popular rides in the entire resort(more people ride it than Space Mountain for example) at the most popular theme park they have in the world. In three of them as a matter of fact. The people who are concerned for it to come back with less of the detailed features and sets are well founded. It is not that difficult to understand once you know the reputation of rethemes is more miss than hit.

Also, Popular, does not automatically equate to quality. Stitch's Great Escape was more popular than Alien Encounter. Monsters Inc replaced Animatronics and original film and practical effects for a digital puppet screen. You will be hard pressed to find those who think it was a quality win for most of the audience who knew the difference. Many more besides those would see it as an equal trade at best.

I enjoy Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway due to the eyes of my 2 year old daughter being able to ride it and see Mickey.

I feel bad through the eyes of my older son who cannot understand why they made the change and misses the original attraction within the building.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

That logic would revolve around Splash Mountain not being popular. It is still incredibly popular, one of the most popular rides in the entire resort(more people ride it than Space Mountain for example) at the most popular theme park they have in the world. In three of them as a matter of fact. The people who are concerned for it to come back with less of the detailed features and sets are well founded. It is not that difficult to understand once you know the reputation of rethemes is more miss than hit.

Also, Popular, does not automatically equate to quality. Stitch's Great Escape was more popular than Alien Encounter. Monsters Inc replaced Animatronics and original film and practical effects for a digital puppet screen. You will be hard pressed to find those who think it was a quality win for most of the audience who knew the difference. Many more besides those would see it as an equal trade at best.

I enjoy Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway due to the eyes of my 2 year old daughter being able to ride it and see Mickey.

I feel bad through the eyes of my older son who cannot understand why they made the change and misses the original attraction within the building.
I think you misunderstood my point, which was that the fate of Splash Mountain doesn’t bear much comparison to that of the Great Movie Ride.

fgmnt

Yeah, I hang all hopes for expedited downtime the incontrovertible fact that taking a headlining attraction out of the parks for more than 3 peak periods is just fundamentally bad business. Same reason I can occasionally tell myself they will assemble a good show in the attraction; permanently kneecapping this ride with a bad show would be difficult for people to ignore whether returning or first time guests. This is one of the 5 attractions everyone tells you to do in 2 of the most venerated parks in the world; blowing it would hard to hide.

mysto

All they need to do is update the print and digital maps to say "Tiana", and make an updated sign.

One team installs the new sign.
The second team of 4 boards a ride vehicle, each with an airless sprayer. Green Brown Purple and White. While riding the ride team 2 sprays randomly at whatever they can reach, possibly blindfolded.

And viola, complete retheme in 15 minutes. No AAs are lost!

18 months, you folks have no idea how this is going to work.

celluloid

I can't even say that would bode well.

They had the entire scenes of Runaway railway mapped out and the media done, and it still took so long to change Great Movie Ride's warehouse of a building into MMRRR.

And while that was a new ride system to be programmed...keep in mind part of the justification for this wish splash's change and why it is needed is to get a software and ride maintenance. The hardware ride dynamic and software alone is going to be bigger than the typical one to two month refurb calls for.

18 months(presuming it opens on time) and dropping does not give the Disney follower much faith in it.

Which was my point a page ago. The concern is not unfounded.

It is a lot of Genie Plus and Halloween/Christmas party seasons capacity that TDO does not want to take long giving up. Every concept art given so far has shown less or behind of what was originally PR'ed.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

I can't even say that would bode well.

They had the entire scenes of Runaway railway mapped out and the media done, and it still took so long to change Great Movie Ride's warehouse of a building into MMRRR.

And while that was a new ride system to be programmed...keep in mind part of the justification for this wish splash's change and why it is needed is to get a software and ride maintenance. The hardware ride dynamic and software alone is going to be bigger than the typical one to two month refurb calls for.

18 months(presuming it opens on time) and dropping does not give the Disney follower much faith in it.

Which was my point a page ago. The concern is not unfounded.

It is a lot of Genie Plus and Halloween/Christmas party seasons capacity that TDO does not want to take long giving up. Every concept art given so far has shown less or behind of what was originally PR'ed.
One thing I will say is that for MMRR, they had to completely gut the interior of the building. For TBA, the show scenes will most likely occur within the same spaces, so light gutting & repaintings, along with refurbs and installations of show elements, as long as everything is deep into development & production, it should take too long

LittleBuford

You misunderstood others' points that popularity does not equate to quality.
I certainly didn’t. As I myself noted, I consider the Country Bear Jamboree a great attraction even though I realise it isn’t especially popular these days.

In any case, we seem to be speaking at cross purposes, so I think it’s best we move on.

ToTBellHop

One thing I will say is that for MMRR, they had to completely gut the interior of the building. For TBA, the show scenes will most likely occur within the same spaces, so light gutting & repaintings, along with refurbs and installations of show elements, as long as everything is deep into development & production, it should take too long
They technically could keep the background scenery in many places, but I wonder if they will. I can‘t remember that ever happening in a retheme. Imagineers usually want a blank slate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Reskinning the AAs should be super-easy, barely an inconvenience. A bunch of fake mustaches, glasses, and baseball caps will do the trick!

erasure fan1

You misunderstood others' points that popularity does not equate to quality.
Very true. This is a flume ride in the busiest park in the country. It will have lines and be "popular" no matter what. And that gives Disney even less incentive to go above and beyond. Or heck, even equal to for that matter.
Reskinning the AAs should be super-easy, barely an inconvenience. A bunch of fake mustaches, glasses, and baseball caps will do the trick!
Reskinning AAs are tight!

celluloid

I certainly didn’t. As I myself noted, I consider the Country Bear Jamboree a great attraction even though I realise it isn’t especially popular these days.

In any case, we seem to be speaking at cross purposes, so I think it’s best we move on.

Just stay consistent please. You claim that the things becoming more popular is better in your original post. popular is as subjective as better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom