News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

yensidtlaw1969

So people born now just? Don’t deserve to see it? Some things can be timeless there’s nothing wrong with that….they could just build new rides…to increase capacity to attempt to fix there chronic issues…but sure.
Some things can be timeless, sure. But this attraction isn't timeless, and there is something wrong with keeping it. If you're not familiar with what's wrong, there's plenty of reading that can be done on that subject.

Its days were numbered from the start when they hitched their horse to a movie that had already been removed from circulation due to its problematic nature.

FettFan

People born just now are interested in 30 year old stuff? LOL. Not in my experience. And if they are, it lives forever on thousands of YouTube videos.

Your experience is wrong.

Attachments

• 84B21E0E-CB1C-4442-8765-E7BC9C186A6B.jpeg
    84B21E0E-CB1C-4442-8765-E7BC9C186A6B.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 57
  • D484EE11-DBCB-4B9E-A57C-E8C1A5A5B551.jpeg
    D484EE11-DBCB-4B9E-A57C-E8C1A5A5B551.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 57
  • 48CA4554-F7AA-4D35-8C54-1AFF63E163F8.jpeg
    48CA4554-F7AA-4D35-8C54-1AFF63E163F8.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 54

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Some things can be timeless, sure. But this attraction isn't timeless, and there is something wrong with keeping it. If you're not familiar with what's wrong, there's plenty of reading that can be done on that subject.

Its days were numbered from the start when they hitched their horse to a movie that had already been removed from circulation due to its problematic nature.
It is timeless. Rename the characters and suddenly... there isn't a problem. 🤔

Disney Glimpses

All kidding aside, yes, the 30+ year attractions (including Splash Mountain) that remain today are incredibly popular among today's kids with few exceptions. Disney largely owes its success to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

fngoofy

The location of the story of Splash Mountain is further East than that of Princess and the Frog, and The Country Bear Jamboree is more contemporary than PATF.

So, no.
Not Location, TIME!d
Look at the addresses on the buildings starting in Liberty Square. They represent the date that you are in. They work up from the founding of the country and end at the turn of the 19th to 20ty century with BTMRR being in the 1890s.
PatF is set in the late 1920s.
It fits in New Orleans Sq in DL, but not in Frontierland in the MK.
Just as MI Laugh floor doesn't fit in Tomorrowland.
Just as flying carpets don't fit in Adventure land (more from a location than time stand point. It goes poly, then desert, then Caribbean.

FettFan

45 minutes for pirates and haunted mansion as well... Guess those pesky kids are riding for the lolz

Well, I deliberately selected those three because they have existed the longest with minimal, if any, changes.

I also didn’t count shows because of their nature; they never have much of an external queue.
The only show I know of that’s been unchanged for 30 years is Muppet*Vision3D.

Country Bears doesn’t count because there have been three different shows, and the current version of the original has been cut down to make it shorter and more inoffensive (removed a couple of songs as well as Max, Buff, and Melvin’s comments on Trixie’s size)

Disstevefan1

I honestly feel like you’d be more likely to take issue with it if you weren’t fully paying attention.
That’s just it, I wasn’t paying attention at all as to whatever story was supposed to be showing there. I was just passively taking in colors, animatronics, the music and mostly waiting for the drop at the end..

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

Not Location, TIME!d
Look at the addresses on the buildings starting in Liberty Square. They represent the date that you are in. They work up from the founding of the country and end at the turn of the 19th to 20ty century with BTMRR being in the 1890s.
PatF is set in the late 1920s.
It fits in New Orleans Sq in DL, but not in Frontierland in the MK.
Just as MI Laugh floor doesn't fit in Tomorrowland.
Just as flying carpets don't fit in Adventure land (more from a location than time stand point. It goes poly, then desert, then Caribbean.
Again, the Country Bears work against your point: their show is very much a mid-twentieth-century affair.

Animaniac93-98

Some things can be timeless, sure. But this attraction isn't timeless

I'd say at this point the ride's continued success, in three different locations, is proof that it is.

The ride now stands on its own apart from the movie it's based on. In part because it takes the subject matter and reinvents it for a new medium with significantly better results.

It's a better "live action remake" than all these live action movie remakes they've done in the last decade+

LittleBuford

Several things can be true at once.

Splash Mountain is indeed a charming masterpiece, loved by many (myself include).

Few people have any real knowledge of the IP to which it is tied. Many, and perhaps even a majority, of those riding it may have no idea whatsoever of its source material.

However, the IP in question happens to be a film that has been regarded as controversial from the moment of its inception. Since 1946, long before most of us were born, criticism has been levelled at Song of the South for its portrayal of plantation life. The debate started over half a century before the fabled "woke mob" can be accused of getting involved.

What this means is that Splash Mountain, no matter how charming or beloved it may be, and regardless of how little-known Song of the South is today, has an indelible connection to something long perceived as problematic. That connection was previously thought of as tenuous enough not to matter; now, Disney considers it to be a liability.

I'm not sure why those who object to the retheme aren't at least able to acknowledge the chain of circumstances that have brought us here. No amount of obfuscation or denial can change the fact that Splash Mountain would never have existed in its current form had it not been for Song of the South. Its relationship to the film cannot be pretended away; it's baked into the ride itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom