News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

celluloid

I know many of the BIPOC on this thread have expressed great discomfort with how this is being marketed as "inclusion " when Black cast members and guests have expressed that they still experience discrimination, or multiple accounts of racism experienced by Black cast members of the DCA production of Frozen. I don't think it's in bad faith to ask who this is actually for. WHY do they keep congratulating themselves over this imaginary princess who spends almost her ENTIRE as a Frog when they should be prioritizing the wellness and safety of actual Black people who work at and visit their parks?!

Or were willing to have a Native American and the word "Savage" on branding that should no longer exist, let alone be visible to park guests in the NEW Confectionary. The brand name does not have to change, that is the founder's name, but to keep putting the name "SAVAGE" next to the Native American image on the machines is a bad choice all around.

This is how you know how seriously they are taking themselves when there is no money or "optics" in it. This got attention so now it will change too, but how was that not thought of when it is GUEST FACING in a place that has a Native American proprietor backstory?

1634854788592.png

Attachments

• 1634854771721.png
    1634854771721.png
    775.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Dear Prudence

Or were willing to have a Native American and the word "Savage" on branding that should no longer exist, let alone be visible to park guests in the NEW Confectionary. The brand name does not have to change, that is the founder's name, but to keep putting the name "SAVAGE" next to the Native American image on the machines is a bad choice all around.

View attachment 595005
*Laughs awkwardly in Native American

STOOOPPP, this isn't real 😹😹😹😹😹😹😹whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Dear Prudence

Because there is no Plush to push. And one would not even need a committee to think twice about that modern industrial situation facing guests, let alone having the branding being in bad taste.
Also, that "backstory" for the Native character is embarrassing. They did 2 minutes of Googling, max. "Native American candy, " and her "recipe" is the first 1-3 results. I know this because there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of real recipes and examples of Native candy, and they chose the first Google result, which is questionable, at best.

FantasiaMickey2000

So has anyone heard anything in rumors recently on this starting soon? I’ve ridden it over the last couple months and broken animatronics are not being fixed. Not sure if that’s just the state of WDW right now (I know this has been an issue in the past) or if they are planning on starting the retheme in January and just don’t care.

dig311dug

So has anyone heard anything in rumors recently on this starting soon? I’ve ridden it over the last couple months and broken animatronics are not being fixed. Not sure if that’s just the state of WDW right now (I know this has been an issue in the past) or if they are planning on starting the retheme in January and just don’t care.
Maybe with all that lighting lane cash flowing in they can make those repairs…
(lol)

Stupido

Since the 50th anniversary goes until March 23, I would imagine they’ll hold off on rethemeing the ride til then. The ride usually goes down January (?) to late February/march for refurb annually. Maybe they just won’t reopen it after it closes in 2022?

Dear Prudence

I know for a fact that we have over a year left with Disneyland (I asked cast members), but I don't imagine WDW is planning to touch it until after the 50th. They clearly indicated that they're not interested in spending money. They're still trying to make fetch happen with those dang disaster kites!!!!!

Disney Glimpses

For the sake of everyone, on both sides of this argument, may this attraction not happen for many years or not at all. We saw what happened with Disney Enchantment replacing Happily Ever After (15% firework shell cut, massive degradation of projection design). One can only imagine what Disney is capable of in re-theming half a mile of dark ride track with a hamstrung budget.

I imagine very few people will be happy when this project is complete. And unlike a fireworks show that they can simply flip a switch and return Happily Ever After to the main stage after the 50th concludes, when the Splash Mountain re-theme is complete, that is going to be it likely for at least 2 decades or longer.

The once beloved and iconic attraction (that yes has ties to a problematic but albeit very, very old film) gutted and refitted to silence the critics on social media and otherwise. This isn't good for the fan. This isn't good for the cause they are claiming to be promoting. It's truly a no win situation to re-theme this attraction in the current financial state of the company.

And if Disney forecasts that the attraction is unlikely to be a net gain for them financially, you can bet their goal will be to simply strip SOTS IP from it in the cheapest way possible so they can simply move on and never read the words "Splash Mountain is racist" ever again.

_caleb

That may make sense if the characters in the attraction were original Disney characters. They aren't.
I assume you mean because the characters were included in JCH publications. This is like saying, Ariel, Belle, Alice, Pooh, Mary Poppins, Rapunzel, etc. aren’t original Disney characters; as though Disney didn’t interpret/redefine them for their versions.

Disney Glimpses

I assume you mean because the characters were included in JCH publications. This is like saying, Ariel, Belle, Alice, Pooh, Mary Poppins, Rapunzel, etc. aren’t original Disney characters; as though Disney didn’t interpret/redefine them for their versions.
Are you suggesting that Disney took JCH characters and made them racist in their interpretation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom