News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

owlsandcoffee

Other than losing Splash Mountain to political correctness

I actually want to make something clear, I do believe a certain degree of political correctness is good. If you are a company that welcomes guests of all backgrounds you should give them all the same positive experience. Having a ride that brings up bad feelings for some guests is a no-no. My point was more that they were rushing to get good PR during the protests last summer.

Also not to get too off-topic but Rothko is largely important due to the size and presentation of his works and his value as a representation of a certain time in art history. If someone else painted something similar today it would fall flat.

UNCgolf

Also not to get too off-topic but Rothko is largely important due to the size and presentation of his works and his value as a representation of a certain time in art history. If someone else painted something similar today it would fall flat.

People will always have a hard time looking at something like a Rothko or a Jackson Pollock and thinking it has any value because it doesn't take obvious skill. It's much easier to look at a Vermeer or a Raphael or whatever and know you couldn't paint something like it, at least not without a lot of study and practice.

I personally find very little of interest in Rothko, Pollock, Warhol, et al. and like to spend my time in art museums mainly on pre-20th century art, but there is a reason those artists are represented in museums.

Sir_Cliff

People will always have a hard time looking at something like a Rothko or a Jackson Pollock and thinking it has any value because it doesn't take obvious skill. It's much easier to look at a Vermeer or a Raphael or whatever and know you couldn't paint something like it, at least not without a lot of study and practice.

I personally find very little of interest in Rothko, Pollock, Warhol, et al. and like to spend my time in art museums mainly on pre-20th century art, but there is a reason those artists are represented in museums.
I guess we're kind of drifting here, but I always enjoy going to art galleries more than museums when I travel as I think it gives you a nice insight into the changing ways people thought about all sorts of topics over time. That includes the nature and function of art in society. As I think most people know, abstract art was an important tool used by the US government during the Cold War to promote the idea of freedom of expression under capitalism versus the conformity imposed under communism represented in social(ist) realism. Growing up I knew about Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles because it was such a controversy that a progressive Australian government paid so much for it in 1973... almost ten years before I was born! So, art and politics are all interwoven very interestingly with their different historical periods.

It tells you something about society that certain artists and artworks captured the imagination of different people at different times and sparked all kinds of debates. Taste is another thing, and I honestly prefer modernist works of the early-to-mid twentieth century. Probably the best exhibition I remember seeing was of the Italian Futurists at the Guggenheim. A lot of contemporary art (well, really beyond the 1970s) isn't for me, but it is at least interesting to think about what my problem with it is and what that means rather than just dismissing it as junk.

I didn't read the pitch as being Tiana was starting a tour company or anything. You're just accompanying her through the bayou. Not really sure why people seem to find this so out of character. She spent a lot of time there in the film and this takes place after the film, so the idea she would go back doesn't seem like some kind of bizarre left turn.
I agree! Or what if Dr. Facilier is up to his normal shenanigans and Tiana is shepherding the guests through the bayou back to NOLA to celebrate Mardi Gras? A storyline consistent with what we know about characters, an adventure and a way to weave it into the existing ride track with obvious atmospheric changes.

On a complete side note. I really love this idea. I’m a theme park junkie, read books on attractions, theming etc and this is a ride I have wanted to see be made. The only thing I want more is an interactive planetarium ride/show hosted by Phil and some of the Hercules folks

owlsandcoffee

Louisiana also has mountains by the way. And the tallest mountain in LA is about 200 ft or so, which is taller than Splash. That's not accounting for forced perspective, etc but it's technically okay.

owlsandcoffee

All of the above is true. I maintain if they're gonna do Tiana Mountain (which is fine!) They should build it somewhere else, preferably Fantasyland where all the other animated-movie stuff is. Solves a lot of problems.

matt9112

Have you ever seen a Rothko in person? It's a completely different experience and absolutely took skill.

Or society just values the wrong things? How else will european oligarchs keep there money safe. Artwork!

As an aside i believe theres probably thousands of paintings that are within percentiles of this one or that one but its all in the name. A famous artist can legitimately paint crap and it will be $$$

Im no art expert but i know that world is so distorted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom