News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Glimpses

Eh...they would never publicly back out of the re-theme. In reality, while it isn't likely, it's possible they internally back out of it at WDW and it sits "in progress" for 10 or more years.

At which point, if the general opinion on things of historically problematic nature (like SOTS) changes, it could get the axe entirely.

Remember: Splash Mountain wasn't problematic to the company until 2020. The proof is, they celebrated its 30th anniversary at Disneyland in 2019. So as quickly as it became 'problematic' people can quickly go back to not caring about it. Most already have.

Anything is possible, 99.9% of people aren't as close to the news of this company as we are. We have to view it in the lens of the average person which is: they frankly don't care and view it as what it is—a theme park log flume ride.

It's not the Library of Congress. I don't think the Splash Mountain re-theme being rumored to be cancelled is going to make waves in the news cycle. Heck, the news of its re-theme barely made a real dent.

Remember the nighttime parade? It's coming, don't worry. It's coming...

They can say that for a long, long, long time.

All of that being said, I hope they push it off for a long time. I love Splash Mountain but I also want them to be flush with cash before they touch that attraction. Which is what they are not right now.

Last edited:

swge

Hmmm what if...

What if all pre production for the attraction was already finished including animatronics and set pieces? What if they were to make an announcement stating that Anaheim's would close this fall for a summer 2022 opening (9 month closure) and that Orlando's would remain splash for the remainder of the 50th anniversary then transition after the 18 month celebration?

what if........

..... :)

Sharon&Susan

Hmmm what if...

What if all pre production for the attraction was already finished including animatronics and set pieces? What if they were to make an announcement stating that Anaheim's would close this fall for a summer 2022 opening (9 month closure) and that Orlando's would remain splash for the remainder of the 50th anniversary then transition after the 18 month celebration?

what if........

..... :)
Could we possibly expect an announcement by the end of July hmmmm?

ToTBellHop

There is no way Disney would back out of a retheme of Splash Mountain in California or Orlando. If it was ever discovered that Disney was considering backing out of the retheme in the United States, the media would tear the Disney company apart. I understand people who love the ride as is may be in the denial phase in the stages of grief, but the retheme will happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if takes many years for the retheme to occur in Orlando, but the change is inevitable.

I think the real reason there has been no update on the retheme is that Disney lied when they said [in June of 2020] that they had been planning the Splash Mountain retheme for at least a year. While Disney may have had some conversations about one-day retheming Splash Mountain to move away from Song of the South, I don't think the retheme was anything more than a vague, early concept. And then in the summer of 2020 — at the height of the Geroge Floyd protests — Disney quickly panicked and feared getting canceled, so announced way too soon that they plan to retheme Splash Mountian from Song of the South to Princess and the Frog to avoid being labeled racist.

Anyway, while I do love Splash Mountain as is, I think the retheme is a good call. It makes little sense to have an attraction advertising a movie that has been essentially self-banned by Disney. And Princess and the Frog needs more representation in the parks.

I think to make the retheme work, Disney is going to have to tweak large portions of Frontierland. Maybe the street leading up to Splash Mountain (with the Country Bear Jamboree and Pecos Bill restaurant) can be changed into a New Orleans-themed street? I've heard rumors about the Country Bear Jamboree possibly being permanently shut down sometime in the near future, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route Disney took.
I wouldn’t say there’s “no way”, although it is unlikely. The only way I can imagine is if they decided to build a PatF ride elsewhere, as they should have done anyway. DL’s version is certainly doomed since a PatF ride won’t come to DCA and makes perfect sense next to New Orleans Square (which it may join).

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
I wouldn’t say there’s “no way”, although it is unlikely. The only way I can imagine is if they decided to build a PatF ride elsewhere, as they should have done anyway. DL’s version is certainly doomed since a PatF ride won’t come to DCA and makes perfect sense next to New Orleans Square (which it may join).
When do you predict we get a second announcement?

Sharon&Susan

I'd give them at least a month for a Goodbye Celebration then shutter it and never speak of the old theme again.
I'm skeptical that Disney would close a big E Ticket ride during the busiest weeks of the year just before they get to Christmas and New Years.

I just think it'd be more plausible for them to close it in November if they're doing a Fall closure, at least then I could see them doing it just so that more people will visit as they're changing the decorations out and before most people are in a Christmas-y mood.

Trauma

This is something.

Taking one of the greatest themed attractions of all time and re-theming it.

When the new attraction opens the media and bloggers will fall all over themselves to praise it.

We will get an actual idea once it’s open to the general public.

Does anyone have faith that Imagineering can actually produce something as special as splash?

What if the ride sucks?

Who is going to dare criticize it without fear of being canceled ?

ToTBellHop

This is something.

Taking one of the greatest themed attractions of all time and re-theming it.

When the new attraction opens the media and bloggers will fall all over themselves to praise it.

We will get an actual idea once it’s open to the general public.

Does anyone have faith that Imagineering can actually produce something as special as splash?

What if the ride sucks?

Who is going to dare criticize it without fear of being canceled ?
I can criticize a ride if Disney bases it on the story of their only Black princess and they phone it in. It needs to be among their best efforts. I’m sure they’re aware.

Very curious to learn the story they settle on and how it supports 4 drops. Not that the backwards drop on FEA makes any freakin sense.

Everyone: “Let’s go see Elsa for the Summer Snow Day!”
Anna and Kristoff: “Are you ready to see Elsa?!”
Elsa and Marshmallow: “Go away.”
Everyone: “Welcome back to Norway!”

Animaniac93-98

since a PatF ride won’t come to DCA

I know it's not coming to the park, but it's not like the Disney of 2021 wouldn't turn Grizzly River Run into "Guardians of New Orleans: Mission: MARDI GRAS".

It makes about as much sense as anything else they've done with the park of late.

Though a PatF stage show at the Hyperion would actually be good.

Trauma

I can criticize a ride if Disney bases it on the story of their only Black princess and they phone it in. It needs to be among their best efforts. I’m sure they’re aware.

Very curious to learn the story they settle on and how it supports 4 drops. Not that the backwards drop on FEA makes any freakin sense.

Everyone: “Let’s go see Elsa for the Summer Snow Day!”
Anna and Kristoff: “Are you ready to see Elsa?!”
Elsa and Marshmallow: “Go away.”
Everyone: “Welcome back to Norway!”
This is my biggest fear.

I feel like they are forcing Tiana into this ride.

Why not just make a whole new ride based on the movie?

Its like yeah we want a ride with a black lead character. We just don’t want it enough to create anything new and amazing so instead let’s just shove her into splash.

I’m not a person of color so what do I know, but I would be curios if someone who is can comment on how you truly feel about this.

Isn’t this kind of insulting?

If splash is really a racist ride that needs to be removed then fine tear it down. Build the new ride in its place, but let it be designed from the ground up to tell its story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom