News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I agree with that -- my issue was the "IP been there done that" comment. That's true for the Splash music too; it wasn't about the overall quality of the songs (as I said, I personally think Zip-a-dee-doo-dah is much better than anything in PatF). Was just a strange way to phrase the complaint.

I explained myself, what do you still not understand?

owlsandcoffee

I explained myself, what do you still not understand?

I think the point here is that you said Splash music was gonna be replaced by "IP music", while the music that's there is already IP Music. It seemed to me that you were arguing as though something like Grim Grinning Ghosts was being replaced by something from an already extant IP. But Splash, in the first place, is using music from an already extant IP.

Either way I don't think anyone actually really disagrees about anything here. Seems to just be going in circles (on the internet!? With Disney fans!?) nothing I haven't done before haha.

Roger_the_pianist

I have this theory that Disney creates movies/characters/IP with the intention of a theme park attraction to follow (when you might think an attraction would be after the fact if a movie does well)

I'll use Frozen Ever After as an example. Say it was realized that Maelstorm could be a bigger draw with something else there, it was similar to ideas for Marc Davis' Snow Palace concept, so they created a movie that they knew they could overlay there.

Princess and the Frog seems like it could be similar. Want to create an African American princess, help distract from the racist film made half a century ago, and have something to overlay on a woodsy log flume? Then Princess and the Frog is born. I thought of this even more when my boyfriend thought CARS was about a Disney parks ride. Of course then came Radiator Springs Racers and the whole land at DCA, which it was a developing concept to expand the idea of the open road/route 66 at that park before the CARS movie.

So my thought is that Tiana could have been created to fulfil this role as a Splash Mtn replacement alongside the creation of the film, long before the announcement was made.

owlsandcoffee

So my thought is that Tiana could have been created to fulfil this role as a Splash Mtn replacement alongside the creation of the film, long before the announcement was made.

It wouldn't shock me...More likely is that they wanted to make a movie about a black character and said "where is the most interesting place, from an artist's perspective, with a specifically black american culture?" The two obvious answers are Brooklyn and New Orleans, and if you're an animator New Orleans must be like a four-course meal. Watching the movie it's clear the animators really loved the artistic influences available to them; there's a lot of beautiful art there.

Soul is in Brooklyn so I think that supports my speculation.

The reason I doubt that they used the process you suggested is that it seems weird to make a movie for that reason and then never change the ride. I know PatF was not exactly a huge success but from a corporate perspective they would just see the ride as a way to boost home video sales. Much like a lot of people want to watch SotS because of Splash Mountain.

Again though, you could very well be right.

tanc

will be a very awkward situation if Splash ends up staying in Tokyo for a long time. Tokyo is doing their Fantasy Springs expansion for Disney Sea, a $2.3 billion project. Any plans to redo Splash I would imagine are held off until Fiscal 2023.

The unfortunate thing about this project is that I can see Disney finally announcing something about it at D23 next year...

LittleBuford

That's not my point. These are all assumptions, but I don't think very many people would pull up the soundtrack to SotS, whereas plenty of people have heard the songs from PatF, and then probably brought them up on YouTube again.
I thought your point was about how familiar people are with the music from each of the two films. I’d consider “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” a far more widely known song than anything from Princess of the Frog.

Disney Glimpses

if this just never ended up happening, do you think anyone would ever bring it up?
"I appreciate your interest in Tiana's new adventure at Splash Mountain! Unfortunately, we do not have a timeline for this attraction. Rest assured, Imagineers are working hard to bring you new experiences everyday! Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I thought your point was about how familiar people are with the music from each of the two films. I’d consider “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” a far more widely known song than anything from Princess of the Frog.

The difference is most people today know Zipadeedoodah from experiencing Splash mountain itself, or hearing a Disney promo, or buying a Disney parks soundtrack.. not from watching or knowing sots. People today will mostly know PatF mountains music from the film itself since its more recent, available on Disney plus, one of Disneys better later films, etc.

Disney Glimpses

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah isn't going anywhere. At least at the Florida park. Will be interesting to see if they keep it in Magic Happens when it returns to Disneyland Park.

The irony is that Magic Happens premiered just 3 months before the Splash Mountain re-theme announcement and contained song lyrics from a supposedly racist movie (more evidence this was not 'years' in the planning).

skypilot2922

if this just never ended up happening, do you think anyone would ever bring it up?

Nope,

I Just don't know how you map the PatF story onto the Splash infrastructure the only part that works is the river journey from the Mama Odie's place to 'Nawlins You could do Ray and his cousins in the tunnel. That said this is the kind of thing which would would work better in Disneyland because of New Orleans Square.

Now a new dark ride based on PatF would be awesome because the story lends itself to a classic disney dark ride.

sup

I don't like change. I will admit that. Still Princess and the frog doesn't go along with frontier land theme. Still as long as they have the ride I guess changes are always on the horizon.

Dizmentia

I have a reliable source saying Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain is indeed still happening in Orlando. And yes, many Imagineers are expected to relocate to Florida by the Fall (not indicating a timeline for Splash, just related to the recent Lake Nona news). From what I'm gathering, it wouldn't be shocking if the level of show changes to Splash was similar to Great Movie Ride changing to Runaway Railway.

tanc

I have a reliable source saying Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain is indeed still happening in Orlando. And yes, many Imagineers are expected to relocate to Florida by the Fall (not indicating a timeline for Splash, just related to the recent Lake Nona news). From what I'm gathering, it wouldn't be shocking if the level of show changes to Splash was similar to Great Movie Ride changing to Runaway Railway.
I don't get why some people believe it will never happen. Disney has backed themselves into a corner and there's no way out. Could you the imagine the outrage that would ensue if they suddenly announce not doing it in Florida? It seems like our only real hope is that Tokyo keeps their version. I wonder how that will work out if they never do Princess and the Frog, which still would mean Tokyo would have a different version of the ride. The exclusivity of Splash or another retheme I think is bad news. If splash was such an outrage, I think they should have just closed both until they redid them. I feel like continuing to keep them open almost destroys their own point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom