News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I just thought of something - if Disney isn't doing this because they believe that the ride is racist, why are we arguing over whether or not the ride is racist in the first place?
Again- its the fact the rides tied to SoTS. There's no denying the connection. To Disney the mindset is "If Song has to go, Splash has to go"

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I don't mind that P & F are getting a ride I just wish it wasn't at the expense of Splash. Disney has plenty of land, they could have just put it somewhere else.
Yes, they could have indeed. Personally, I think the addition of a PatF attraction would’ve been a great opportunity to expand and add a bayou themed area towards the back half of RoA. In fact, they already have beacon joe in place to set the mood. https://allears.net/2014/04/09/jims-attic-the-story-of-beacon-joe/

Last edited:

lightningtap347

mud GIF

V_L_Raptor

Haven't read the foregoing pages, so forgive me if I'm rehashing here, but... wasn't it a short while ago that alligator imagery on property was acutely problematic and subject to... ah, diversion?

(Besides that, oh, look... another show story about finding something... Disney creativity, ladies and gents! Imagine the possibilities!)

Last edited by a moderator:

MurphyJoe

Haven't read the foregoing pages, so forgive me if I'm rehashing here, but... wasn't it a short while ago that alligator imagery on property was acutely problematic and subject to... ah, diversion?

(Besides that, oh, look... another show story about finding something... Disney creativity, ladies and gents! Imagine the possibilities!)

Only because Universal has the contract for "You're doing X, then it goes terribly wrong!" east of the Mississippi. Wait. That was Marvel. Whatever.

More seriously, I'm wondering how much input into this retheme came from the swamps versus Burbank? As one would think the staff in Florida would know that it's only a matter of time before there's another gator incident and might prefer not to have an attraction with the star being on national news. At the same time, Disney might be thinking (and most likely correct) that the GP wouldn't care the star of the attraction is a cartoon gator after there's an incident with a real one at WDW.

V_L_Raptor

Only because Universal has the contract for "You're doing X, then it goes terribly wrong!" east of the Mississippi. Wait. That was Marvel. Whatever.

More seriously, I'm wondering how much input into this retheme came from the swamps versus Burbank? As one would think the staff in Florida would know that it's only a matter of time before there's another gator incident and might prefer not to have an attraction with the star being on national news. At the same time, Disney might be thinking (and most likely correct) that the GP wouldn't care the star of the attraction is a cartoon gator after there's an incident with a real one at WDW.

I agree, although Disney's approach to the GP can be quite fickle. Right now they're likely not too fussed about featuring a cartoon gator, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a gator incident on property would set off some "refurb time" for the attraction. They might change a lightbulb or two over the course of some weeks, but they won't want to risk the bad PR that magically levitates out of the pavement when a drama queen connects gator A to gator B.

MurphyJoe

It will.
Did you take a good look at the deign illustration?
There is so little that is actually going to be done to the outside of the mountain.

Outside of enclosing the entire structure inside a show building; look at that lighting and background. Maybe Florida will get a Blue Bayou styled restaurant inside. Tiana's?

Not really serious. Like they'd spend the money to fully enclose the structure.

Incomudro

I wouldn't call adding a giant and tacky boat to the top being little.
What I mean is - there's little effort being done on the outside, aside from the boat you mentioned.
If we look at the illustration without all the distracting sparkle.
What this shows me (and I may be wrong - I hope I'm wrong) is that they might not put much effort into then interior either.

Cesar R M

Regardless of what can be done, the entire flume ride really does fit in a narrative standpoint for Princess and the Frog.
Parts of the forest theme being transformed into the Bayou. The drops being the Dr. Facilier interactions.
The large finale would also fit with Tiana, the entire gang in the boat with fireworks while in the background or the side.. the restaurant of Tiana.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Regardless of what can be done, the entire flume ride really does fit in a narrative standpoint for Princess and the Frog.
Parts of the forest theme being transformed into the Bayou. The drops being the Dr. Facilier interactions.
The large finale would also fit with Tiana, the entire gang in the boat with fireworks while in the background or the side.. the restaurant of Tiana.
I think that was the general idea people have for the retheme, at least in Anaheim. Florida is a bit more farm-land/mineshaft focused than the swampier aspect of DL

choco choco

Seemingly unwittingly, I think Disney actually released the perfect fit for the Splash Mountain retheme. It's all there, from the general look/art direction, character variety, music, architectural space, and dynamic flowing water action.

It's amazing what can happen when you give fresh creatives just enough encouraging freedom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom