News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Disney Glimpses

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t.
Everyone universally agrees that DLR's version will happen first and soon given how thematically it fits more seamlessly in that area of the park.

At WDW, because they have the luxury of real estate, I think they will give PATF a brand new 2-4 minute attraction somewhere else in the park or even an entirely different park.

And then re-theme the Magic Kingdom Splash Mountain with an attraction that is much closer to the original theming elements of the ride to save money (leaving much of the attraction/queue untouched); essentially Splash Mountain without SOTS characters.

The two of those combined is almost certainly cheaper and faster than re-themeing all of MK's Splash to fit a PATF theme. And it solves the OLC issue they are facing right now (assuming they would agree to the new theme).

GimpYancIent

Everyone universally agrees that DLR's version will happen first and soon given how thematically it fits more seamlessly in that area of the park.

At WDW, because they have the luxury of real estate, I think they will give PATF a brand new 2-4 minute attraction somewhere else in the park or even an entirely different park.

And then re-theme the Magic Kingdom Splash Mountain with an attraction that is much closer to the original theming elements of the ride to save money (leaving much of the attraction/queue untouched); essentially Splash Mountain without SOTS characters.

The two of those combined is almost certainly cheaper and faster than re-themeing all of MK's Splash to fit a PATF theme. And it solves the OLC issue they are facing right now (assuming they would agree to the new theme).
All the debate and discussion is nice plus interesting, so many view points. Yes, splash is a classic but I will always hold to the fact that it's the ride and it being fun that make it popular, not the theming. Once the P&F theming is complete splash will still be referred to as splash and it will still be a fun ride, just w different window dressing.

Disney Glimpses

All the debate and discussion is nice plus interesting, so many view points. Yes, splash is a classic but I will always hold to the fact that it's the ride and it being fun that make it popular, not the theming. Once the P&F theming is complete splash will still be referred to as splash and it will still be a fun ride, just w different window dressing.
Certainly. I'm in the very thin minority that holds Splash Mountain very dear to their heart but is truly excited for a PATF attraction (done correctly).

Disney Glimpses

I suspect we'll get more details closer to the start of the 50th. They'll probably be a big press release of all the things coming to WDW over the course of the 18-month celebration, with this being one of them (or at least starting construction before March 31 2023).
Or do what they are so very good at: say nothing about it at all.

jt04

The could easily do a Critter Country theme as there is a push behind the scenes to merchandise a classic Disney animal character line. Including, I would guess some of the PatF characters.

But if they go with a full-fledged PatF story it opens up the possibility of the MK getting a NOS, which would be an amazing add for the park. 🎺

And there is plenty of land or they can reconfigure Frontierland. 🚧

The Aracuan Bird

The could easily do a Critter Country theme as there is a push behind the scenes to merchandise a classic Disney animal character line. Including, I would guess some of the PatF characters.

But if they go with a full-fledged PatF story it opens up the possibility of the MK getting a NOS, which would be an amazing add for the park. 🎺

And there is plenty of land or they can reconfigure Frontierland. 🚧
Florida Splash Mountain is in a spot that would make it quite difficult to make a NOS around it without blocking off the parade gateway or demolishing Big Thunder. I don’t see them doing either because parades are eventually going to come back, and Big Thunder is really popular as is. Now it is possible they utilize the expansion plot behind Frontierland, but you’re getting further away from the mountain at that point that it would make less sense.
3B96A80A-841B-4B3C-8F1D-286BD43B99C7.jpeg

Disney Glimpses

Florida Splash Mountain is in a spot that would make it quite difficult to make a NOS around it without blocking off the parade gateway or demolishing Big Thunder. I don’t see them doing either because parades are eventually going to come back, and Big Thunder is really popular as is. Now it is possible they utilize the expansion plot behind Frontierland, but you’re getting further away from the mountain at that point that it would make less sense.View attachment 560841
Or the biggest hurdle: money

I don't think Parks & Experiences has any interest in a multi billion dollar expansion to accommodate the replacement of a ride that typically already has the highest wait times in the park. This is going to be a fast and dirty IP swap so then can check a box off on moving on from SOTS.

Goofy Ninja

DHS should be the home of the Superheroes and movies of that ilk. They have Star Wars now and they could have Indiana Jones.. DHS could be the action Movie Park... Let EPCOT be something else.

I agree 100%, MickeyMouse10 mentioned a Wall-E attraction with recycling. I think that would have been a much better ride than Guardians (for Epcot).

I know Epcot is changing, but it doesn't have to change that much. It still could represent Epcot's (the park) original ideas and theming.

jt04

Florida Splash Mountain is in a spot that would make it quite difficult to make a NOS around it without blocking off the parade gateway or demolishing Big Thunder. I don’t see them doing either because parades are eventually going to come back, and Big Thunder is really popular as is. Now it is possible they utilize the expansion plot behind Frontierland, but you’re getting further away from the mountain at that point that it would make less sense.View attachment 560841

Yeah, wrong direction. There is land towards adventureland or reconfiguring a section of Frontierland. Specifically Pecos. I've armchair imagineered this previous.

if Disneyland could find the space for NOS, so can the MK.

Bonus: if the MK added a NOS they could move the riverboat closer to splash. Then they can add a Columbia -esque tall masted ship in Liberty Square. Picture that in your mind's eye. It would take the area to the next level. Plus.

Double bonus: none of this would cost half as much as Pandora or SWL. Maybe 25% as much. Less than Tron even.

OK, that's enough A I from me this season. 📢

jt04

Or the biggest hurdle: money

I don't think Parks & Experiences has any interest in a multi billion dollar expansion to accommodate the replacement of a ride that typically already has the highest wait times in the park. This is going to be a fast and dirty IP swap so then can check a box off on moving on from SOTS.

Nobody is suggesting doing anything to BTMRR beyond enhancements. (If that's what you mean)

It occurred to me recently that it is the penultimate creation Imagineering has developed as it pertains to attractions. It's a masterpiece. Better than Haunted Mansion even.

LittleBuford

It seems farfetched to the point of impossibility to me that Disney would retheme the Magic Kingdom version to anything but Princess and the Frog. The stakes are too high, and the optics too important, for them to go another route (except, perhaps, that of dropping the overhaul altogether). I don’t think any insider here has hinted that alternative themes are being explored, so I’m not sure why that notion keeps popping up in this thread.

The Aracuan Bird

Yeah, wrong direction. There is land towards adventureland or reconfiguring a section of Frontierland. Specifically Pecos. I've armchair imagineered this previous.

if Disneyland could find the space for NOS, so can the MK.

Bonus: if the MK added a NOS they could move the riverboat closer to splash. Then they can add a Columbia -esque tall masted ship in Liberty Square. Picture that in your mind's eye. It would take the area to the next level. Plus.

Double bonus: none of this would cost half as much as Pandora or SWL. Maybe 25% as much. Less than Tron even.

OK, that's enough A I from me this season. 📢
If you go the other way, you’re covering the parade gateway. It’s less about finding space and more about taking the effort to reconfigure functional park infrastructure for a small area that isn’t going to add any attractions. Is it worth the effort?

The Aracuan Bird

It seems farfetched to the point of impossibility to me that Disney would retheme the Magic Kingdom version to anything but Princess and the Frog. The stakes are too high, and the optics too important, for them to go another route (except, perhaps, that of dropping the overhaul altogether). I don’t think any insider here has hinted that alternative themes are being explored, so I’m not sure why that notion keeps popping up in this thread.
9BA59F08-C0C5-496C-B934-A09482E2614D.jpeg

It was claimed here by this user who is “allegedly” credible.

jt04

If you go the other way, you’re covering the parade gateway. It’s less about finding space and more about taking the effort to reconfigure functional park infrastructure for a small area that isn’t going to add any attractions. Is it worth the effort?

Psst- I've mentioned before that the parade route could easily be redrawn. The current route makes little sense thematically. And relocating the storage area (behind mermaid perhaps) would open up even more expansion area near Splash/Pirates. 👷

Dizknee_Phreek

My thought is, instead of slapping a different skin on Splash Mountain with little regard to surrounding theming, make the redesign fit the surrounding theming (what a novel idea!). I do wish they would do as you said - place PatF somewhere else (the old SWSA spot perhaps). Retheme SM into something that fits the area and that could interest both boys and girls, as well as children and adults (like SM does now). My thought - American legends. Pecos Bill/Slew-Foot Sue, John Henry, Paul Bunyon, Johnny Appleseed. Any one of those stories or a combination of them would fit the Frontierland theme perfectly and could create a very entertaining attraction that could fit within SM.

GimpYancIent

My thought is, instead of slapping a different skin on Splash Mountain with little regard to surrounding theming, make the redesign fit the surrounding theming (what a novel idea!). I do wish they would do as you said - place PatF somewhere else (the old SWSA spot perhaps). Retheme SM into something that fits the area and that could interest both boys and girls, as well as children and adults (like SM does now). My thought - American legends. Pecos Bill/Slew-Foot Sue, John Henry, Paul Bunyon, Johnny Appleseed. Any one of those stories or a combination of them would fit the Frontierland theme perfectly and could create a very entertaining attraction that could fit within SM.
Maybe the legend of Pecos Bill should not be so prominent on your list. There are many story lines from back in the day that possibly should be brought back for Frontier Land to revive like Davy Crocket (remember Fess Parker), the Legend of Zorro (remember Guy Williams) ask young folks about them and the answer is "Who? or What?". Yea some nostalgia, sort of a blast from the past, would be good for Frontier Land. Sometimes old can become new. Hey! remember this from back in the day?
1622398034578.png

Last edited:

Dizknee_Phreek

Maybe the legend of Pecos Bill should not be so prominent on your list. There are many story lines from back in the day that possibly should be brought back for Frontier Land to revive like Davy Crocket (remember Fess Parker), the Legend of Zorro (remember Guy Williams) ask young folks about them and the answer is "Who? or What?". Yea some nostalgia, sort of a blast from the past, would be good for Frontier Land. Sometimes old can become new.
I wouldn't call it prominent on my list... just happened to be the first one that came to mind. And even though Pecos Bill does have a restaurant dedicated to his name already in Frontierland, I'd be surprised if many young people today have seen the cartoon or know anything about his story.
Fess Parker and Guy Williams were a little before my time. But I do agree both of those themes would fit in nicely in Frontierland. I guess my line of thought was if they stick to more animated classics they could potentially recycle many of the previously recycled wildlife animatronics used for SM.

Edited to add: with a story based on the American legends I mentioned, I figured including (or even possibly featuring) John Henry could help with the inclusiveness they're attempting to go for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom