Splash Mountain Referb.

Mansion Butler

FWIW, I've heard "lap bars" from a few Splash CMs, as well, but I had thought in the state of Florida it was illegal to have lap bars on a water ride.

Mansion Butler

I pray that Splash Mountain doesn't get lap bars. There really is no need for them.
I'm not sure I agree there's no need. A large reason for many of Splash's downtime is guests getting out of the boats and causing problems. Sometimes the intrusion causes something that can't be reset in a timely manner.

BigThunderMatt

It's also technically a rollercoaster, so I'm not sure if that uses any sort of loophole. Or if the whole law thing is just a myth.

You do realize that that is essentially what both Ripsaw Falls and Splash Mountain are, right? How do you think the second drop on Splash that also sends you uphill is accomplished?

Tom

Beta Return
FWIW, I've heard "lap bars" from a few Splash CMs, as well, but I had thought in the state of Florida it was illegal to have lap bars on a water ride.

It sounds like we have two people posting on here who are actually CMs, and who have actually witnessed the test log. I may be mistaken, but it sounds like the OP and xfkirsten have actually seen the "new" log. So, I think the lap bar rumor has been made official.....or it's true that WDI is at least toying with the idea.

Whether we're getting new logs is still debatable. While one CM said they appear to be new, the "key hole" could have also been retrofitted.

60 new logs will be a tad pricey. And if the replacement process is slated to happen from May through September (not fact - just a rumor from one post above), it seems as if they're giving themselves time to take X-number of boats out of circulation at a time...retrofit them...and put them back in the flume.

I'm not sure I agree there's no need. A large reason for many of Splash's downtime is guests getting out of the boats and causing problems. Sometimes the intrusion causes something that can't be reset in a timely manner.

I seem to remember seeing intrusion mats on SM when we went in October. Have they always been there...or perhaps have they added more recently? I don't remember them standing out like they did on my last trip.

And yes, people are idiots. It's a shame we can't just let natural selection work its course on these people that need to stand up in a floating log. The worst part is that it delays the rest of us!

BigThunderMatt

60 new logs will be a tad pricey. And if the replacement process is slated to happen from May through September (not fact - just a rumor from one post above), it seems as if they're giving themselves time to take X-number of boats out of circulation at a time...retrofit them...and put them back in the flume.

This is the point I was trying to make before. Very very rarely is an entire group of ride vehicles replaced unless the dynamics of the ride, or capacity, are drastically altered. This is incredibly expensive to do, especially if it requires alteration of the ride itself and not just the vehicles.

TDO has proven in the last few years that spending for spending's sake is not a priority for them, and considering they're plopping down a hefty sum on the FYL expansion, it would seem very out of character for them to, at the same time, commission an entire new set of logs to be built for what is a relatively minor change.

_Scar

This is the point I was trying to make before. Very very rarely is an entire group of ride vehicles replaced unless the dynamics of the ride, or capacity, are drastically altered. This is incredibly expensive to do, especially if it requires alteration of the ride itself and not just the vehicles.

TDO has proven in the last few years that spending for spending's sake is not a priority for them, and considering they're plopping down a hefty sum on the FYL expansion, it would seem very out of character for them to, at the same time, commission an entire new set of logs to be built for what is a relatively minor change.

It's pretty major if they could get sued for not having them resulting in buying a whole new fleet and whatever they are fined.

ACM 13

What you are saying makes sense... but I can promise you they will be all new logs. Just take a look at the state of the logs in use now. They are in awful condition and they are in no rush to repair them since brand new logs are on the way.

Also to answer the question of a previous poster. Yes, it is possible that the new logs can be added in overnight as they are finished. To clarify. Its possible at some point this spring that some guests will be riding in a log with lap bars while the boat in front of them is riding in an original log without lap bars.

To address capacity concerns. It still has not been decided whether or not 3 will be able to ride in a row. As far as a CM having to "check" the lap bars, it will go quick. Since they are not a necessity CMs won't have to wait for the guests to push up on the bar, they just have to visually make sure the bar has been pulled down.

I hope this makes things a little more clear for everyone. Also after this refurb you may want to wear a poncho as more water cannons are scheduled to be added!

BigThunderMatt

It's pretty major if they could get sued for not having them resulting in buying a whole new fleet and whatever they are fined.

Considering there's apparently no law in the state of Florida mandating that rides in the Splash Mountain category are required to have lap bars, I'm a tad confused as to what grounds someone could sue them on for not having them. If it's not against the law to not have lap bars, and also considering that the ride has been around for almost 20 years and no one has yet to be thrown from it against their will, the only logical cause for someone getting out of a log would be by their own doing, which would not be suitable grounds for that person to sue Disney for lack of lap bars.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Considering there's apparently no law in the state of Florida mandating that rides in the Splash Mountain category are required to have lap bars, I'm a tad confused as to what grounds someone could sue them on for not having them. If it's not against the law to not have lap bars, and also considering that the ride has been around for almost 20 years and no one has yet to be thrown from it against their will, the only logical cause for someone getting out of a log would be by their own doing, which would not be suitable grounds for that person to sue Disney for lack of lap bars.
Since when have suitable grounds ever been needed to file a suit against Disney? Someone filed a suit claiming that a stone fell off the castle and hit them in the head. The fact that that there is not a single stone in the castle was irrelevant. Someone else also filed a suit claiming that their eardrums ruptured because of the hydrolators. Again the fact that the hydrolators did not even move was irrelevant. If the name Disney is attached to it there will always be an ambulance chaser willing to take the case for free.

BlueCloud1978

I hate the idea of a lap bar on this ride as much as anyone. And I don't get why either. Think of your local amusement park's log ride. They don't need them. Anyways, I hope it is something like the lap bar in say Peter Pan where its one bar across with more room to move. you couldn't stand but it would give you the freedom of 3 in a row. It would also allow bigger people, like my husband to ride it still. He's tall and big. Anything with a traditional roller coaster lap bar makes it almost impossible for him to ride it and enjoy it. Splash Mt. being my fave ride I would hate to have to ride it by myself. He really liked it when we were there in March. They better not kill my fave ride!!!!
:lookaroun

xfkirsten

Anyways, I hope it is something like the lap bar in say Peter Pan where its one bar across with more room to move. you couldn't stand but it would give you the freedom of 3 in a row.

It is one bar, all the way across the row, although it has a bit of a dip in the middle. That dip will be the biggest obstacle to having three in a row.

ACM 13

How much heavier would the logs be after this alteration? Would it cause problems with the ride?

The weight is the key issue as far as when the logs are actually finished. All the testing being done is about the weight. The lap bars are making the boats much heavier than anticipated...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom