Splash Mountain Referb.

BigThunderMatt

Wait... Tokyo has lap bars? Are there any photos of this?

I didn't take one myself but I can personally vouch for it having rode their version about 3 times this past summer. Their loading area is actually really cool too.

But that's beside the point. Yes, they have them. They're just a metal ratchet bar that follows the curve of the seats/log. I don't even remember if it was capable of locking in multiple places, I think it was just a one locking position bar.

Jonnyc, I don't think a lap bar of this type would be difficult to retrofit. Either way they're going to have to retrofit the loading/unloading station with a device to activate the lap bar. Ratcheting lap bars, generally being strictly mechanical in nature, are fairly easy to retrofit onto something. Hydraulic lap bars, which are better because they're capable of locking in any position, are much more complex and could not be easily retrofitted and therefore WOULD require new logs. However, generally hydraulic lap bars require electricity to power the bar in the station, and that doesn't really work well with water anyway.

xfkirsten

As others have said, lap bars are definitely coming. There has already been a test log in the water that has gone around with water dummies, engineers, and even regular attractions CMs. There are track changes coming in the refurb, as others have said, to accommodate the new logs, as well as the ride system controls for the lap bars. However, I was told by a manager a couple of weeks ago, the plan is to start getting the new logs into the flume around May, and have them all operational by September. (The logistics of that weren't explained to me, although I know that the lap bars can be removed - I'm just not sure exactly how long that takes)

I'm sure this ride is so over engineered, one for safety and two for guests who are much larger then these folks that it’s really more of an issue with it being incredibly uncomfortable. Mind you I’m sure it is frowned upon by management.

:lol::lol::lol: Actually nowadays, the more people you stuff into a log, the happier they are. If everyone's butts touch the seat, it's fair game, and if you can shove 12 adults in there, you're more likely to be applauded by management.

Yes all new logs.

This is correct. There is one sitting in the flume right now in Rear Storage, marked log "64." (current logs are numbered 1-60) As of this morning, it was just sitting there, red-tagged, although the lap bars had been removed. You can tell it's a new one because they have the keyhole at the back for manual lap bar releases.

WDITrent

These should be on Mouse Surplus right now...

3499968411_5d0be400c5.jpg

...But they aren't...

...For some reason. :fork:

irishboyforever

Original Poster
Tokyo's logs are identical in design to Orlando minus the lap bars. Considering Disney's recent streak of el cheapo solutions to problems I highly doubt they're going to build an entire new set of logs and have them ready for what appears to be only a month-long refurb. It would be much more in their nature to retrofit the ones they already have.
Welll then you would be wrong. They will be all new logs.

I pray that Splash Mountain doesn't get lap bars. There really is no need for them.

I also don't see a way of locking lap bars into place on that type of ride!

BigThunderMatt

I also don't see a way of locking lap bars into place on that type of ride!

Mechanically-based lap bars generally just have some kind of switch on the underside of the vehicle that gets tripped while in the station causing the bars to unlock. After a set amount of time the switch releases, allowing the bars to move down, but not up.

ACM 13

I've seen and rode in the new log with lap bars. There has been a ton of testing the last few weeks. They will be all new logs. Also they will not be finished in time for this refurbishment.

RSoxNo1

I've seen and rode in the new log with lap bars. There has been a ton of testing the last few weeks. They will be all new logs. Also they will not be finished in time for this refurbishment.

Will it be a situation where after testing they can make the switch overnight once a complete fleet of logs is available?

durangojim

Will this mean that only two can ride per row? If so, that stinks! My wife and I love taking our son on the ride in the same row!

BigThunderMatt

Will this mean that only two can ride per row? If so, that stinks! My wife and I love taking our son on the ride in the same row!

Unfortunate as that may be, the change is necessary. Truth is, many WDW guests are complete retards. Many people have just suddenly decided right before the final drop they'd like to get off and just waltz out of the log because they figured it was ok to do so (they even provide that excuse as reasoning). One time a woman dropped her camera in the water during the Laughing Place sequence and despite the fact that COMMON SENSE would tell you a digital camera that's been submerged in water (not to mention Splash Mountain water) would not work, she decided to just jump out of the log and wade through the water to get it. To add insult to injury, management bought her a new camera AND gave her a free night's stay at the Grand Floridian. I'm sorry, but if I had been in charge I would have kicked the woman and her family out of the park for doing something so incredibly stupid.

Incidents like this can and will be avoided by adding lap bars.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Unfortunate as that may be, the change is necessary. Truth is, many WDW guests are complete retards. Many people have just suddenly decided right before the final drop they'd like to get off and just waltz out of the log because they figured it was ok to do so (they even provide that excuse as reasoning). One time a woman dropped her camera in the water during the Laughing Place sequence and despite the fact that COMMON SENSE would tell you a digital camera that's been submerged in water (not to mention Splash Mountain water) would not work, she decided to just jump out of the log and wade through the water to get it. To add insult to injury, management bought her a new camera AND gave her a free night's stay at the Grand Floridian. I'm sorry, but if I had been in charge I would have kicked the woman and her family out of the park for doing something so incredibly stupid.

Things like that unnerve me. I have been a very loyal guest of WDW, who always follows the rules, and spends plenty of money. However, I've never been awarded a free night's stay. This woman breaks about seven rules, and gets not only a new camera, but a free night at the flagship resort. Yeah, that's fair.

_Scar

There are better words to use in place of that :rolleyes:

I agree guests are dumb though :lol: Laughing Place has a drop in the middle of it... surprised nothing happened :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom