Splash Mountain Referb.

MUTZIE77

Are lap bars really necessary? The ride has been operating since well over a decade without them. This is probably going to be some legal issue, something to cover Disneys rearend.

BrerFrog

I am hoping for more Splash! Whenever I ride SM I always go in the front row hoping to come out of the ride as if I just had a lot of bad luck on Kali River Rapids (KRR?), but that never happens.

I absolutely love Splash Mountain, but I don't get as wet as I would like too. I don't think there is any need for lapbars and onboard audio.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I guess if they must they must...
But it's already a real struggle getting my long legs into that ride... I can only imagine that the lap bars will just make it more of a problem.

enoe01

That, and a complete flume replacement. :p

And new lighting.

And an interactive queue...

...Did I mention the new lime green color scheme?

I also heard that they are going to enclose the drop to make it darker and take out the water turbulance to make the ride smoother. That water is way too rough!:hammer:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This isn't the first time this has come up.

Do we have any Splash Mountain cast members that may or may not be able to detail how big a problem it is that the ride doesn't have lap bars?
I am not nor have I ever been a Splash CM but it is my understanding that on a day to day basis it is not a major issue. I have heard the frequency of someone disembarking their log prematurely is on par with protein spills. It happens but it is not a daily thing. However, during special events like Grad night and Night of Joy the frequency tends to increase.

From my own personal observations I am very surprised that this attraction has not had them from day one. Not because a guest needs restraints to protect them from the attraction but to protect them from themselves. I see the lack of guest restraints as a big legal loop hole that every ambulance chasing lawyer is just waiting to have a chance to exploit. All a lawyer would have to say is "Attractions like Pooh, Snow White, HM and Peter Pan have guest restraints. Why does a thrill ride with a 50' + drop in it lack them? Disney cares about more profit and increasing guest capacity than guest safety!" and it would be game over. If we do see them after the January refurb I think it will be yet another case of a few stupid people doing even stupider things and ruining a good time for everyone.

Batphobic

...I have heard the frequency of someone disembarking their log prematurely ...during special events like Grad night and Night of Joy the frequency tends to increase.

Ah - very good point. I was going to say wouldn't Disney only install lap bars once there was an incidence of someone falling out? But like Master Yoda said - it's to save people from themselves perhaps. There are a few places a person could stand up and hop out where Disney wouldn't want them to (even just the disembarking early).

That's too bad, though. For people with their heads on straight SM is fun partially because of the "loose" feeling.

ryanduggers

I thought that there was a law against lap bars on rides when the ride involves water, as a safety item if the boats flip over.

I think it is a law in Pennsylvania

ryno1982

I was waiting for this to finally come up. Yes, lap bars are being installed, hence the long refurb. They have a prototype right now, but it's got a big "keep out!" by it and CMs can't get near it. The good news is that intrusions should definitely be few and far between, but the bad news is it's going to kill capacity. People are slow getting in the logs now. Imagine how much longer than 11.5 seconds it's going to take to push up the bars, leave the log, have new people get in, pull down the bars, and then have the CM check them. Plus there will only be 8 max per log now.

ryno1982

What was the max before, isnt there only 3 rows of two?:confused:

If kids were seated with adults, three could sit per row, meaning the max was 12. Assuming the lap bars are individual, which I'm guessing they will be, only 2 will be able to sit per row regardless of size.

ryno1982

not that I'm against it, but have they ever had an accident where a lap bar would've prevented it.

People get out all the time. And yes, once a guy got killed at drop 3 after falling in the flume and getting hit by another log. After that they installed a thorough intrusion system that automatically stops the ride when motion is detected, but that still doesn't mean that a free floating log couldn't still kill someone if they fell in the flume.

DallasDis

Lap bars, so pointless on this ride.

I look forward to being fully body casted in foam soon.

Not pointless at all. Considering a person died on this ride just a few years ago.

For some reason people don't feel that the ride is that dangerous and that they can just hop out whenever. The lap bars are not because Disney is worried about people falling out on the drops, but because people are jumping out.

Think about the last time you rode on Splash. It seems everytime I ride they always have to stop the attraction due to someone trying to hop out of their log.

_Scar

I hope out all the time in the ride and join another empty log later.

It's the only time where I can get to my laughin place!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom