Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveyoumetmark

The problem is, this is exactly what is happening and will keep happening. In today's environment, nothing is or will be safe. Once a change is accomplished or a statue torn down, the offended will go looking for something else. One might agree with this week's issue or protest, but watch out next week when they come after something you support. The tables will turn.

Common sense has left the building in part because society, now so more than ever, is about "me" and "my feelings" and less about others and the common good.

Strikes me as fear-mongering and sensationalism. People have been fighting for changes like this for decades on end....

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. It’s understandable, though, to feel threatened when perspectives different from yours begin to inch toward getting equal footing.

Mr Mindcrime

Look towards the postives rather than type 185 pages on how disney is suddenly marxist for changing a ride
I 100% agree in looking for positives. I'm well known to my family and friends as the eternal optimist. But I think your position ignores the fact that the passionate defense of Splash Mountain as it exists is not just for the attraction itself. It also relates to the fact that in our world today, it only takes a small yet vocal minority to cause change and sometimes change that a great majority don't want to see. Do you want to live in a society where change has to be made because a small number of folks say so? Because if you do, then as I said earlier, get ready because that small minority will come after something you DON'T want changed. It will never stop until society is dismantled.

JohnD

The problem is, this is exactly what is happening and will keep happening. In today's environment, nothing is or will be safe. Once a change is accomplished or a statue torn down, the offended will go looking for something else. One might agree with this week's issue or protest, but watch out next week when they come after something you support. The tables will turn.

Common sense has left the building in part because society, now so more than ever, is about "me" and "my feelings" and less about others and the common good.

Also it’s great they are bringing back Tony Baxter to contribute to the project. But let’s face it: He’s white. MLK wanted a color blind society. Not good enough in today’s environment. I’m sure there will be minority imagineers working on it. Fine with me. All will give their best. But other bean counters will be calculating the ratiio. And if not enough to their liking after the retheme heads will roll.

MythBuster

Being objective here: I’ll miss Splash Mountain. It’s a great ride. As for Princess and the Frog, I can’t imagine a ride system that complicated changing its current course. Like Maelstrom it will be rethemed over the same water track. So here’s hoping the music and AAs keep it enjoyable throughout. I’ll be interested in how they explain an incline and a drop for New Orleans though!

I don't think they will change the the actual ride itself, just like Maelstrom. They will only change the show portion, remove all the AA figures and replace with projection and video screens.

Scuttle

I 100% agree in looking for positives. I'm well known to my family and friends as the eternal optimist. But I think your position ignores the fact that the passionate defense of Splash Mountain as it exists is not just for the attraction itself. It also relates to the fact that in our world today, it only takes a small yet vocal minority to cause change and sometimes change that a great majority don't want to see. Do you want to live in a society where change has to be made because a small number of folks say so? Because if you do, then as I said earlier, get ready because that small minority will come after something you DON'T want changed. It will never stop until society is dismantled.
In a nutshell... social media is ruining this world.

Mr Mindcrime

Strikes me as fear-mongering and sensationalism. People have been fighting for changes like this for decades on end....

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. It’s understandable, though, to feel threatened when perspectives different from yours begin to inch toward getting equal footing.
Nah, not at all. I don't feel threatened in the least. My opinion is certainly in the minority in today's world and even in this forum. And I'm good with that. Sensationalism.... LOL. Look around at the new world. I'm just calling it as it is, I'm not creating it. Of course people fight for changes and many times changes are very positive for society as a whole. But sometimes they are not. Sometimes changes are made just for the controversy and upsetting the status quo. Having a world view that says there can be no opposition or differing opinions is not a free and just world. I personally don't feel like changing an attraction that is beloved by the majority will change anything. Change comes from within our beings, not from an amusement park attraction.

haveyoumetmark

I don't think they will change the the actual ride itself, just like Maelstrom. They will only change the show portion, remove all the AA figures and replace with projection and video screens.

This is actually hilarious, but I trust them to do a tasteful retheming that does the new story and original attraction justice. I suspect there will be plenty of nostalgic nods too.

celluloid

This is actually hilarious, but I trust them to do a tasteful retheming that does the new story and original attraction justice. I suspect there will be plenty of nostalgic nods too.

If racism and offensiveness were the real reasons of change, wouldn't a nod or tribute within kind of deafeat the purpose of removing it? We took out that ride that might remind you of some incensative things in Song of the South, but here are some things to remember about the thing we don't want you to remember anymore.

comics101

One last thing I want to place before I leave this nightmare thread to be.
Let's remove everything about song of the south's history alone and focus on the new ride.
The fact that princess and the frog, a movie that flopped but gained cult classic status was deamed worthy of disney for replacing one of their biggest rides is a HUGE deal. It's a sign that not only does disney listen to their customers but could also be a potential sign of future change from the company. Look towards the postives rather than type 185 pages on how disney is suddenly marxist for changing a ride.

This is a sign that Disney listens to their customers? What?? This decision is the opposite of listening to guests.

Given Splash Mountain’s wait times and the fact that they haven’t diminished, but have grown over the attraction’s 25 year history, I’m pretty sure if Disney were listening to their customers, they’d leave Splash be, while maybe building a PatF attraction elsewhere.

Brer Oswald

If racism and offensiveness were the real reasons of change, wouldn't a nod or tribute within kind of deafeat the purpose of removing it? We took out that ride that might remind you of some incensative things in Song of the South, but here are some things to remember about the thing we don't want you to remember anymore.
Well, much of Splash’s identity lies with America Sings. Most of it does actually.

celluloid

Well, much of Splash’s identity lies with America Sings. Most of it does actually.

I am familiar with the history, but even the number in America Sings was a tribute to the Song of the South, which is an American inspried movie. The number in the show was Zip a Dee Do Dah. I was just pointing out the irony that people think that it could be removed due to some percieved racism yet it is going to maybe have a nod. It is to get more revenue and IP in the parks like we knew the mission was for years, avoiding contreversy in the sensative times is just a huge bonus to exellerate the project.

RSoxNo1

I'm betting we will get all the latest tech. Including projections and the new MMRR tech. And the newest AAs.

E+ Ticket.
It needs to be... Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast type AA's for Tiana and Louis throughout the attraction. Facilier needs a top notch AA or two as well. Beyond that, there needs to be many supporting AAs. Splash Mountain has 68 AA figures. This needs to be comparable, but higher quality.

JohnD

Too much deep thinking there. Pooh has Toad giving the deed to Owl. Little Mermaid has a nautilus carved in the rock of the queue. Just accept a little nod while the ride is rethemed and leave it at that.

MythBuster

Nah the ride will definitely have AA's in the ride. I do not see Disney going cheap on the re-theme.

I will have to disagree with you about Disney going cheap, the main reason they are doing this is to reduce operating costs, maintenance upkeep on both these attractions are very expensive. AA's are expensive to maintain, so they may add some new AA figures but I'm guessing more of the Little Mermaid ride style. I think WDW Splash Mountain has 59 AA figures and I'm sure it will end up less than ten.

They are just giving it this politically correct excuse now because it fits, but it always about the money!! not what guests want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom