Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

I've been surprised by how people outside of the Disney bubble are good with this decision. Surely more than the 21,000. Again, I'm not good with the decision, I think it could have been altered in some way. But I respect whatever they're doing since I'm not a person of color with a different point of view (and I don't mean all people of color have the same points of view, nor all white people). I'm in a different place than I was yesterday, that's for sure.

_caleb

You know what I mean. In typical knee jerk fashion they are reacting to the usual overreacting by the same few.
Got it. Thanks- I hadn't seen that sort of overstatement around here. Hopefully, once people express their initial shock/frustration/sadness, we can have a good discussion about this whole thing. I think it's worth the conversation.

Welcome to the boards, BTW. I'm glad you're here.

Brer Oswald

Lol more like "I'm taking things in perspective" ground.

I've got no horse in this race because I could care less if they got rid of it so I'm just lurking. I've always found it interesting though the amount of passion people have over certain rides
No. It was the way the individual interjected. “Don’t you think you should be complaining about more important things than this?”

Then why are you here? This is a WDW board talking about a ride change. Expect people to talk about their opinions on it. If there are more important matters, than why did people call for this change and prioritize it to begin with? A “different perspective” would be offering a differing opinion on the ride change. Not criticizing people and calling them pathetic for caring about a theme park ride when “people are dying”.

Chi84

Premium Member
Lol more like "I'm taking things in perspective" ground.

I've got no horse in this race because I could care less if they got rid of it so I'm just lurking. I've always found it interesting though the amount of passion people have over certain rides
I couldn't care less either. I'm sure someone has said this already but the ride's theme and characters are so old as to be completely irrelevant to current guests. I never did understand what's so lovable about the ride. People go on Splash Mountain for the flume ride - not the theme. That's why wait times are so long. Disney isn't going to cater to a bunch of old people resistant to change even if they just wanted to update the ride for the heck of it. Add a reason like the one given and it's no contest.

MrHorse

Feudalism existed until 2008 in Europe. More to the point, a little boy or girl born today in the UK will never have a chance to rise to become their nation's Head of State. Imagine that! Imagine telling a precocious, intelligent, curious little boy or girl that they can do anything they want in life... except rise to become the Head of State of their beloved nation. They're legally ineligible to rise to that position. Might put a damper on their dreams...

Don't you dare crush that poor child's dreams! They absolutely can become the head of state! Just like Cinderella! Marry a royal, get your name on the list, and wait for folks to start dying.
It certainly beats having to get elected... You only need one supporter after all. =)

Kate F

I couldn't care less either. I'm sure someone has said this already but the ride's theme and characters are so old as to be completely irrelevant to current guests. I never did understand what's so lovable about the ride. People go on Splash Mountain for the flume ride - not the theme. That's why wait times are so long. Disney isn't going to cater to a bunch of old people resistant to change even if they just wanted to update the ride for the heck of it. Add a reason like the one given and it's no contest.
The flume aspect is not why I like it and has never been why.

Figurehead

In the Parks
No
Got it. Thanks- I hadn't seen that sort of overstatement around here. Hopefully, once people express their initial shock/frustration/sadness, we can have a good discussion about this whole thing. I think it's worth the conversation.

Welcome to the boards, BTW. I'm glad you're here.
Same to you, my friend. Stay healthy, first and foremost.

invader

The world is changing. What was acceptable even 15 years ago isn't acceptable now. Like it or not, that is just how it is.

This is such a defeatist attitude. If you care for and believe in something, you should do what you can to make it how you like.

I do not agree with the retheme but imagine if the people who years ago noticed their issues with Splash Mountain took your advice of “that is just how it is.” Pitiful.

SirNim

=Just like Cinderella! Marry a royal, get your name on the list, and wait for folks to start dying.
Absolutely, Cinderella found her way into the castle, for the benefit of her and her descendants thereafter. But she would still be just a consort, not regnant, so original point still stands.

Point being: romanticization of castles could be seen by some as an attempt to perpetuate rigidly hierarchical classism which is still codified by governments around the world.

But you know I'm not arguing to tear down any castles!

orlandogal22

I don’t see how that contradicts the point I was making.

Your point is your own.

But it was in response citing a "defense" that was simply a quote meme that came forth as a specific response to my very generalized statement that did not associate specifically to the ride, as your point did. That is all I was attempting to reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom