Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy71

I can choose not to support something (racism) while concurrently enjoying something else (a MK ride) on its solitary merits.

Many things in life are connected to things that are unpleasant in our past; it is whether or not one chooses to inherently - and perpetually - dwell on the unpleasant so much so that we will be stuck in a constant cancel culture.

But I can respect your opinion.

ncwpKBS.jpg

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The biggest outrage in all of this is that if they had to retheme Splash, they couldn't base it on the greatest (and most egregiously underrepresented at WDW) Disney movie of all time. By which, of course, I mean The Emperor's New Groove.
I think you mean to say Oliver and Company? 😉

I mean, the whole going under ground and finding a watery place plays well into Atlantis....

TrojanUSC

@marni1971 so does this decision mean frontierland will get a makeover? Since Princess & the Frog does not fit at all in this area of the park!!! No way do people change my mind on that one.... So is thunder and country bears days numbered?

Did Splash Mountain fit in Frontierland when you really think about it?

_caleb

Disney doesn't respond based on percentages of guest feedback. Disney responds based on money. Period.
Right. But how does Disney determine what changes will make money or cause them to miss out on making money? And I was asking for your opinion, if you don’t mind sharing- what public response do you think Disney should take seriously (as a threat to their revenue stream)?

Joel

It will ultimately be very ironic if China nationalizes the Shanghai and Hong Kong parks after Disney has bent over backwards to put aside many of China’s labor, human rights and labor issues.
I won't have the least bit of sympathy for Disney if this happens. It would be the ultimate "you get what you deserve" moment.

_caleb

No. I can't see how losing a beloved attraction because Disney caved and gave in to the (small group of) complainers, makes everyone happy.

And if Disney truly wants to not be associated with racism of any kind, like others have pointed out, they're a long way away from that.
You keep saying that Disney is caving to a small group of complainers. What makes you think it’s a small group?

_caleb

The politicization of everything continues. Who in their right mind goes on this ride and thinks it is a terrible scourge on humanity, rather than just enjoying it for what it is? Country Bears Jamboree might as well be next, since it is bunch of hillbilly bears, I'm sure there must be hostile undertones there. And, hey, Chef Art Smith, time to change your successful menu to some type of fusion to reflect diversity, etc. We've all gone mad.
Has anyone claimed that the ride is a “terrible scourge on humanity?”

_caleb

I would think if Splash Mountain was routinely exhibiting very very low wait times - a practical walk-on, I could then concur a larger group would be driving this initiative.

But that's not the case.
To me, the long wait times are an indicator of the large number of people who don’t have a problem with it. The wait times don’t tell us anything about the number of people who might have a problem with it (or its association to Song of the South).

orlandogal22

To me, the long wait times are an indicator of the large number of people who don’t have a problem with it. The wait times don’t tell us anything about the number of people who might have a problem with it (or its association to Song of the South).

That can be true.

However, my point was that if such a large swath of people felt the ride was so abhorrent to begin with, they'd have abandoned it long ago. A virtual walk-on... a dead part of Frontierland...no one ever in the gift shop...no one ever wanting to purchase their ride photo.

But that's never been the case.

Unfortunately, some who scream the loudest from their keyboards on all forms of social media seem to be the ones who get the results these days while others are left to pick up the pieces. And that goes for instances even beyond a theme park ride.

Brer Oswald

I still don’t get why people don’t understand the hypocrisy in cancelling something because it’s source material is offensive. Once again. Mickey did blackface. Mario is an Italian stereotype, most prominently in the beloved Super Mario 64. The Pokémon Jynx was a blackface stereotype. PatF has stereotypes with voodoo man. Peter Pan and several other Disney movies have stereotypes.

We say that it’s bad because the Brer characters were only in SotS. But, all of those movies (Peter Pan, Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, etc.) were all just singular pieces of media. And if this is the case, why not create new interpretations of these stories on film?

Splash was based on the animated segments of SotS, which have been rereleased on their own through numerous Disneyland television specials. The main problematic element of these segments is the “Tar Baby”. The Tar Baby originated from the original stories without mal intent, so you can argue against whether or not it can be criticized by the same merit as other stereotypes in Disney films. But even if you put it on equal playing field to something like the Native Americans in Peter Pan, it’s got equal or less percentage of screen time in its respective film.

I don’t like the hypocrisy. I don’t get the double standard. And there is a double standard. You can argue whether or not being based on an insensitive piece of media calls for change. But you can’t defend another piece of media when it does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom