Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanfze55

That’s why I’m considering switching too. Splash Mountain isn’t a political statement for me. It’s a classic dark ride with Classic Disney charm and classic animatronics. It’s WDW’s equivalent to Disneyland’s Pirates. The retheme will most definitely get rid of the America Sings animatronics, And with it, the Classic Disney charm. It’s just going to be another screen heavy movie ride. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. But there’s little evidence to suggest otherwise given the $50 million budget thrown around and the recent trends with the company’s newer rides.

The one thing Disney has over Universal was their classic rides. With Splash gone, Spaceship Earth getting the storytelling redo, and Small World due for a change, what’s left? Mansion? It was my least favourite of the classics, and that won’t change.

All Disney wants to do is make rides based on their recent IP. But their recent IP is weaker than what Universal has access to. Universal has the cheaper price, the better IP, and the less stressful experience. Why go to WDW if the one thing enticing me to go there, my favourite ride, is gone?

If PatF tops Splash, and I’d hope it would, that’s great. But it has to be the best ride they’ve ever made. It has to have all the charm of Splash and then some. I’ll probably test it at Disneyland and make the call if I want to return to Disney World. Till then, I’ll be spending my time elsewhere, where things aren’t as stressful.

You should try going to Disneyland. It still has that “classic” feel, and it’s less stressful. It’s not a “resort” style vacation like Disney or Universal in Florida - but I say so what?

orlandogal22

Once upon a time I had a Splash Mountain shirt with all the characters on it. I specifically chose that design over ones with Mickey and the gang. I never found the ride offensive. I told my wife as much just last week. I always thought it was kind of weird to represent a banned movie so prominently in the parks, but I was never upset about it.

But my opinion isn't the only one that matters. If a PATF retheme makes the parks more inclusive, I'm fine with it. Hopefully it will be well executed.

Thank you for your honest answer!

tirian

Well, last night this thread had actual conversation. Today more people are awake, and it has dissolved into meaningless back-and-forth opinions. Just wanted to post again before the thread was locked. :D

noodles

No matter how many times you and others repeat that you did not find the ride offensive, it won't change the fact that others felt differently.

This thread would be a lot shorter if people would grasp that point.
You have a very high opinion of yourself. We are all duly impressed, I'm sure.

bryanfze55

I'm not though. The things I loved about WDW are in short supply these days.

As I said to the other poster, go to Disneyland. You can afford the flights to Cali based on your prior statement. It still has a very classic feel. Splash is going away, yes, but on the whole they’ve retained a lot of their older rides. Less stressful too.

lebeau

And what? We have a vote?

No. You don't.

You don't have a vote in whether or not other people are offended and you don't have a vote in what Disney does with its parks (aside from voting with your wallet).

You're free to express your opinion all day long. But you don't get a vote.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The source material is a big part of the equation. You can't just ignore it. I mean you can on a personal level, but you can't make that decision for everyone else.
Now, this is probably projecting, but I have to assume I was in the majority here. Never saw Song of the South, will never see it, don't care about it. I just took the ride on it's own merits and LOVED every second of it. I believe we should be separating source material, it's so dang slippery to do otherwise.

I guess it doesn't really matter though, Splash Mountain has been #cancelled

Speedy71

Replacing a African american folklore with a European one.

w3hUyFC.gif

And let's be honest here Disney is probably gonna half*** it anyways.

JGamer

I also see this from another perspective. This ride has been very expensive to maintain for years based on the fact that water doesn't play well with the Animatronics. How many videos have been posted on YouTube showing scenes not working correctly and people complaining about a "bad show"?

This gives Disney the opening to cut down on ongoing costs and disguise it as a "retheme". There would have been an outcry if they invested this type of money into the original IP to make similar changes. This let's them get what they want and sidestep that issue. I expect to see mostly the cheaper to maintain animatronics with screens for faces when this comes back online.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As I said to the other poster, go to Disneyland. You can afford the flights to Cali based on your prior statement. It still has a very classic feel. Splash is going away, yes, but on the whole they’ve retained a lot of their older rides. Less stressful too.
I have been to DisneyLand and loved it. In a 1v1 comparison it wipes the floor with the MK. I loved the old "Vacation Kingdom" vibe of WDW though. That's what made it our main vacation spot for the past 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom