Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill in Atlanta

thinking evolves though, thus the point of being progressive.
Thinking does evolve, but the biggest mistake I see progressives consistently make is assuming that a new idea is good just because it's new. (Traditionalists often make the opposite mistake - assuming a new idea is bad just because it's new)

As far as Splash Mountain, I really wish companies would stop caving to these tiny groups of online complainers. I would be shocked if anyone was ever genuinely offended by anything in Splash Mountain. Woodsy animals are about as benign as you can get.

orlandogal22

I understood your point. I see what you mean about selective outrage and hypocrisy with what people support.

My point was that the unpredictable nature of these moral reactions are what might be motivating Disney to take action now in order to avoid a SeaWorld situation.

I understand. Yet there will be a next time and a new target. It always happens.

(though, I still don't think anything will rise to the SW "level" with Disney; my point last night was more in the context of what was being discussed then)

bryanfze55

Oh, you want to use examples of who and what was considered progressive 80 years ago and that it what, must stay static and never evolve? Sorry but that would conservative not progressive. Allowing two people that aren't married to share a hotel room was at one point a "progressive" way of thinking, thinking evolves though, thus the point of being progressive.

If you define “progressivism” as progress in the direction that history judges in the more positive light... you can never be wrong. Nice hedge.

I don’t believe in using the terms conservative/liberal in a political sense but rather a philosophical one. I think they need to go hand in hand. I believe in conserving our liberal foundation. We are a liberal country, and I am a liberal. That foundation should and has been extended to all Americans - that’s progress - but the foundation itself should not change. However, too many “progressives”, of which exist on the right and left, are willing and eager to tear at the foundation.

You can call yourself whatever you want.

Chris767

Honestly I would be very happy if they could leave all the animals, maybe slightly reskin their clothing, reskin Brer Bear to Louie, put Tiana AA’s in place of the Brer Rabbits, and only use projections heavily really in the laughing place scene to simulate Dr. Faciliers Lair, but still keep those AA’s as spirits

Oh and if projections are wanted, just add fireflies with them, but I feel like all the AA animals could stay hopefully

SteamboatJoe

If you guys feel “worthless” over this change, imagine how worthless Black people feel when they visit the parks and have to deal with the fact that there’s never any representation for them on the attractions. I love Disney, but I’ve felt worthless when it comes to their parks my entire life.

Tiana did not become a princess until I was 14, so as a little girl, I was meeting all of these princesses who did not look like me, not even feeling good enough.

You guys will be totally fine.

You are assuming those of us that are sad about the change think that what Tiana represents isn't important. That isn't the case, at least not for me. I welcome a PATF attraction into the parks but mourn the loss of an attraction I love. I wish there was a respectful way we could've gotten both.

21stamps

You think so? Aunt Polly's just reopened recently, two years ago to now before the Covid closure happened to operate seasonally where it never had before. It was crowded, barrel bridge was open and kids were loving it. It has a low cost to operate and maintain. There are Photopass people there as well. There is a reason it is reopening with the first line up phase. It is only going to be more popular when everyhting indoors has a virtual queue roam to wait.
This Splash Mountain thing makes me feel like TSI is definitely not long for this world.
Yeah. I just said the same thing. I ate at Aunt Polly's in Dec. Love it there. I also love the barrel bridge... exploring the cool dark caves, going up in Fort Langhorn - really being like a kid again. Plus, you can get some great photos of BTMR from TSI.

We love TSI and the Treehouse too. I have great memories on both as a kid, and then later with my own family. Some simplicity is still needed in life, and at Disney parks, imo.

@SteamboatJoe , that’s what I feel like. All of the drama and uproar over Mark Twain and Huck in the past, how long before someone decides that Tom Sawyer’s Island is offensive too... and even if not, will it even make sense in a new looking Frontierland.

Anyway, my biggest problem with this decision (other than nostalgia) is that Frontierland reminded me so much of the Disney of my youth.. back when princess movies weren’t the bulk of what they put out.
I don’t want a princess in every land.

Club Cooloholic

If you define “progressivism” as progress in the direction that history judges in the more positive light... you can never be wrong. Nice hedge.

I don’t believe in using the terms conservative/liberal in a political sense but rather a philosophical one. I think they need to go hand in hand. I believe in conserving our liberal foundation. We are a liberal country, and I am a liberal. That foundation should and has been extended to all Americans - that’s progress - but the foundation itself should not change. However, too many “progressives”, of which exist on the right and left, are willing and eager to tear at the foundation.

You can call yourself whatever you want.
I actually haven't used it in a political sense, I was being literal and I think we might actually see things more similarly than not. But, if you honestly think that a corporation choosing to change the theme of a flume ride is something any history "judges" I can't agree. Its a ride, folks want to fight a Columbus statue that has sat in a park for 100 years being yanked down, I hear you, but this is a ride, not history. It might be your "history" in that you have your memories, but its still just a ride.

orlandogal22

Not here but there is commentary in other spheres of the internet essentially saying you are a racist if you feel even remotely sad about the loss of Splash Mountain.

Yep. Disney's IG page with the announcement post was rife with people getting ganged up on in often expletive-filled rants about how racist they were.

You are assuming those of us that are sad about the change think that what Tiana represents isn't important. That isn't the case, at least not for me. I welcome a PATF attraction into the parks but mourn the loss of an attraction I love. I wish there was a respectful way we could've gotten both.

I totally get it. Splash was one of my favorite rides, but I am very open to this change. I just feel like as a Black person who’s been spending so much money at these parks, I finally feel like I exist to Disney. I understand how you guys could mourn the loss of this attraction, but this change is important. I didn’t have the privilege to see people who look like me being featured in a major attraction (or any attraction at all) growing up. I see both sides of this.

Logan L

Now I know why they paused the refurb for spaceship earth. They want to be able to fund this. They announced that last week, I knew something was up......

it Makes more sense to put a zootopia ride in Frontierland than it does princess and the frog.
so stupid....

literally 90% of the millions of people who ride the ride every year have NO idea that it is based off of a movie that is considered offensive To some People. People ride that ride for 1 reason, BECAUSE IT IS A WATER RIDE AND THEY WANT TO COOL OFF. Just look at Figment in Epcot.... loook what happened there....

Splash Mountain: The Destruction of a beloved Disney classic......

Time For some screens and lazy projection mapping....

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING

lazyboy97o

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say a thing about Joel Chandler Harris. I was merely pointing out that Song of the South was based on the writings of a white author. His writings were based on folklore. Some people here are ignoring or unaware there was a middleman.
He's the one credited.
The Princess and the Frog is the work of two white men, based on the writings of a white woman, based on the writings of two white men.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Honestly I would be very happy if they could leave all the animals, maybe slightly reskin their clothing, reskin Brer Bear to Louie, put Tiana AA’s in place of the Brer Rabbits, and only use projections heavily really in the laughing place scene to simulate Dr. Faciliers Lair, but still keep those AA’s as spirits

Oh and if projections are wanted, just add fireflies with them, but I feel like all the AA animals could stay hopefully

If only.

But that's unlikely to happen. Why reskin when a mass culling of AAs will save Disney money? Same goes for set design, etc. Why bother with new set design when you can mostly rework existing ones and using screens whenever possible. This will be value-engineered of that I have no doubt. It's smart really. Give the people what they want (HA!) and save money in the process. But it's not all bad, limitations breed creativity. So it could hypothetically be a great refresh. Only time will tell!

Does anyone here actually think it'll be anything more than a "Where's Louis?" concept with a sprinkling of mood lighting?
(I pray I'm wrong. I ask forgiveness for being myopic and pessimistic lol )

PrincessNelly_NJ

Thinking does evolve, but the biggest mistake I see progressives consistently make is assuming that a new idea is good just because it's new. (Traditionalists often make the opposite mistake - assuming a new idea is bad just because it's new)

As far as Splash Mountain, I really wish companies would stop caving to these tiny groups of online complainers. I would be shocked if anyone was ever genuinely offended by anything in Splash Mountain. Woodsy animals are about as benign as you can get.

Hear me out... for you its a small group because it may not come up often in your circles but I know many people who were uncomfortable.

Sometimes, we should step back and realize that sometimes these changes aren't for you or your circles.

We have a habit of surrounding ourselves with like minded people which can give us a false sense that our similar opinions are the loudest opinions.

Last edited:

lebeau

Not everybody feels the way you do. Instead of dismissing other points of view as "tiny groups of online complainers" how about hearing them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom