Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brer Oswald

Because it was explained in this thread 200x that your fave ride stems from a movie that was basically hidden from the public eye......wait for it

has racial undertones.
Do I have to bring up how Runaway Railway stems from a franchise that has made several balckface jokes? Or Peter Pan’s Flight stemming from a film with racist depictions of Native Americans?
Oh right. We haven’t seen SotS, therefore, we don’t care. It’s okay for the films the majority care about. It’s NOT okay for films the majority doesn’t care about.

21stamps

Hear me out... for you its a small group because it may not come up often in your circles but I know many people who were uncomfortable.

Sometimes, we should step back and realize that sometimes these changes aren't for you or your circles.

We have a habit of surrounding our self with like minded people which can give us a false sense that our similar opinions are the loudest opinions.

Carousel of Progress has always caused me to feel a range of emotions. That ride contains so much sexism and in-your-face patriarchal society.
It’s also one of my favorite attractions, for multiple reasons, one because I think about how much has changed for women over the years.. it prompts a conversation with our kids if we want it to, or we can just walk out singing a catchy tune.

Splash Mountain doesn’t contain any racist material, but if someone does have an uncomfortable thought (because they’re thinking of something in the movie and not the ride), then that could lead to the range of emotions I gave above, and to a conversation if wanted.

This is where I feel that Cancel Culture fails, it’s typically such a surface outrage, without thinking any deeper.

Brer Oswald

Honestly, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. If you can list the things you loved about Splash, you might find those thing overlap with PATF and as they release more concept art, you might still feel all the charm you once loved.
I’ve seen the movie. I don’t think so. I don’t like the Modern Disney musical format. Even if PatF was one of my preferred ones, it airs more on the side of cheese than the side of charm.

Do I have to bring up how Runaway Railway stems from a franchise that has made several balckface jokes? Or Peter Pan’s Flight stemming from a film with racist depictions of Native Americans?
Oh right. We haven’t seen SotS, therefore, we don’t care. It’s okay for the films the majority care about. It’s NOT okay for films the majority doesn’t care about.

So if those rides stem from movies with racial undertones, maybe a change needs to be made for those as well. or maybe People of Color should just start building their own theme parks so we don’t have to continue to convince this community that some of these things were never okay to portray to begin with.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Carousel of Progress has always caused me to feel a range of emotions. That ride contains so much sexism and in-your-face patriarchal society.
It’s also one of my favorite attractions, for multiple reasons, one because I think about how much has changed for women over the years.. it prompts a conversation with our kids if we want it to, or we can just walk out singing a catchy tune.

Splash Mountain doesn’t contain any racist material, but if someone does have an uncomfortable thought (because they’re thinking of something in the movie and not the ride), then that could lead to the range of emotions I gave above, and to a conversation if wanted.

This is where I feel that Cancel Culture fails, it’s typically such a surface outrage, without thinking any deeper.
But why can't you have these conversations on your own? You don't need a disney theme park ride to have these talks with your family.

Homemade Imagineering

Honestly, I’m going to have a hard time going now that it’s gone. I’m not saying that to be mean or anything. I hope the new ride is good for you guys. But I can’t justify paying money when the experience is just going to make me feel bad.

Thankfully, Universal is opening Super Nintendo World. So at least I’ll have somewhere to go to get my Theme Park Fix.
Right now universal is the only park that has something I’m really looking forward to, specifically in Hollywood since I’m a regular and a local. I’m excited to check out the new Secret Life Of Pets attraction which looks to be full of detailed amazing set pieces and animatronics, as well as Jurassic World the ride’s big refurbishment which is adding an extremely impressive indominous Rex animatronic in the finale, and is adding more dinosaurs and things to look at in predator cove. I’ll be back at Disney sometime, but it won’t necessarily feel the same, especially if they move forward with changing more sacred, classic attractions.

Brer Oswald

So if those rides stem from movies with racial undertones, maybe a change needs to be made for those as well. or maybe People of Color should just start building their own theme parks so we don’t have to continue to convince this community that some of these things were never okay to portray to begin with.
I’m just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy in the community. Splash is only okay to replace because it was an IP the mob didn’t care about. If it was any other racially insensitive IP, it wouldn’t be getting rethemed.

bryanfze55

I actually haven't used it in a political sense, I was being literal and I think we might actually see things more similarly than not. But, if you honestly think that a corporation choosing to change the theme of a flume ride is something any history "judges" I can't agree. Its a ride, folks want to fight a Columbus statue that has sat in a park for 100 years being yanked down, I hear you, but this is a ride, not history. It might be your "history" in that you have your memories, but its still just a ride.

I agree, this will never go in the history books. It’s not about removing the ride itself, and I will gladly give the new ride a chance to impress; it’s about what the removal of the ride represents. It represents “cancel culture” at its finest.

Cancel culture only exists because too many people have stopped finding meaning in their lives in the traditional places. What’s left to do at that point? Worship at the altar of social media and virtue signaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom