Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDlover

I just find it obnoxious. Funny how some of the people who are ostensibly on the side of tolerance and understanding feel the need to be intentionally divisive and sophomoric.
tumblr_n33bw8k1LV1trmkp7o1_500.gif

"The reimagined Splash Mountain rides will tell an extension of the “Princess and the Frog” story that picks up after the final kiss between Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen. The new backstory for Splash Mountain will follow Tiana and Louis the trumpet-playing alligator as they prepare for their first Mardi Gras performance."
That’s sounds pretty cool! Maybe we can get a beignets cart then!

comics101

Did you not hear about the petitions? That's where all of this came from.

You mean the petition that received 20,000 signatures? Have you heard about the petition to save Splash Mountain that has garnered 41,000 signatures and counting?

Of the 60,000-ish guests that visit Magic Kingdom everyday and ride Splash Mountain, approximately how many do you believe get off the ride upset bc of the “racism” they saw on display? How many guests do you believe actually take offense to Splash Mountain?

This is a myth. There is no controversy. There is no problem with the attraction. There is nothing—NOTHING—offensive about Splash Mountain

BigDlover

You mean the petition that received 20,000 signatures? Have you heard about the petition to save Splash Mountain that has garnered 41,000 signatures and counting?

Of the 60,000-ish guests that visit Magic Kingdom everyday and ride Splash Mountain, approximately how many do you believe get of the ride upset bc of the “racism” they saw on display? How many guests do you believe actually take offense to Splash Mountain.

This is a myth. There is no controversy. There is no problem with the attraction. There is nothing—NOTHING—offensive about Splash Mountain
I guess you need to ask Disney why they're changing it then

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Isn't it somewhat saddening that Disney will focus funds on this instead of fixing the Yeti, or fixing Tower of Terror, or focusing on their many other maintenance woes that have since brought us to question how much they care about show quality?

LittleBuford

I've heard this about romanticism slavery, but i don't see it. Maybe I need to watch it again. It has been a long time. I'm sorry but I knew it was after the Civil War and they were free. That might be because it is part of my country's history. Again if people have a problem with this movie were are the protests about other 'problematic' movies? I personally believe it is such an issue because Disney has tried to bury it instead of talking about it.

Other than the animated sequences, the film is pretty mediocre and really not worth unburying. We wouldn’t even be talking about it if not for Splash Mountain. It’s very different from, say, Gone with the Wind, which is an excellent though deeply problematic movie.

Moka

Isn't it somewhat saddening that Disney will focus funds on this instead of fixing the Yeti
To be fair, I don’t think I ever imagined they’d fix the yeti. Spending SO much money on such a quick few seconds of a ride. Tower of terror on the other hand, may make more sense.

DoTheImpossible

This, unfortunately, should not shock anyone. An iconic attraction being re-themed to install a more modern IP. Stop me if you’ve heard this before. I understand that some will be very happy about this. I respect and understand their opinion, but respectfully disagree.

Hey Disney, if you are serious about inclusion and diversity, how about hiring minority executives and promoting company wide diversity?

No, real change is too hard apparently. Instead let’s shove an IP we disregarded for 11 years, to remove an IP we promoted for 30 years, and then ask to be celebrated for it.

comics101

I guess you need to ask Disney why they're changing it then

My guess? They’re changing it because they want the pat on the back that will come from a few elites that are in the circles of the execs at the company.

They’re a bunch elite white men who believe they have the authority to tell the masses what is and isn’t offensive/racist.

Edit: removal of the term “over-educated”

Last edited:

rk03221

To be fair, I don’t think I ever imagined they’d fix the yeti. Spending SO much money on such a quick few seconds of a ride. Tower of terror on the other hand, may make more sense.

When I was a CM we got to do a backstage tour of Everest and they told us the Yeti will never get fixed because too many guests complained that the swipe force was too much. Can’t confirm how true that is but that’s what we were told

disneygeek90

Of the 60,000-ish guests that visit Magic Kingdom everyday and ride Splash Mountain, approximately how many do you believe get off the ride upset bc of the “racism” they saw on display? How many guests do you believe actually take offense to Splash Mountain.

On the Facebook announcement, there's 15k likes, 9.9k loves, and 3.8k angry reactions. This is your "average" fan. The one that enjoys WDW but maybe isn't on the forums discussing in great length.

The general public knows about the announcement now, and, based on reactions the majority are on board. There's no way they pull back after today.

SirNim

I just find it obnoxious. Funny how some of the people who are ostensibly on the side of tolerance and understanding feel the need to be intentionally divisive and sophomoric.
If you're looking for maturity on WDW message boards, I don't think you'll find very much of it. Just like social media at large. This is just a microcosm, social media with a laser focus. But yes. I think most people of good will see the ruse, charade, and hypocrisy that's evident in posts preaching tolerance for all viewpoints except yours, or virtue in all viewpoints except yours, or pride in all opinions except yours... The hypocrisy makes the arguments built on these bones non-starters. The key is to take a step back and allow yourself to be amused by the self-defeating style.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
When I was a CM we got to do a backstage tour of Everest and they told us the Yeti will never get fixed because too many guests complained that the swipe force was too much. Can’t confirm how true that is but that’s what we were told

That would mean Joe Rohde is lying when he says they'll eventually fix it.

lawdogNOLA

The cancel culture wins again.

Don’t get me wrong: As a native of New Orleans, I LOVED (and love) the Princess and the Frog! The theming can work…or as well as possible for a land with such a mountain theme can in a place where the highest pieces of ground around are levees (and a 50 foot "hill" in City Park, courtesy of lagoons being dug out by the WPA in the 1930s).

But the cries of “racism!” and “stereotype!” have been raised, and rather than spend a moment thinking about it, the cancel culture wins, further empowering radicals who will never, ever stop.

But pause a second, please, and ask yourself this: What is being cancelled here by another caving corporation? The answer is tragic:
African-American history and culture is being cancelled.

Song of the South was a celebration of African-American heritage. It was a vehicle to tell African-American folktales, many of which had their origins in Africa, were brought to America and changing into the stories that African-Americans told to entertain themselves back before there were such things as TV, movies, radio or the internet. Splash Mountain was a salute to African-American storytelling.

It’s deeper than that, of course. These were stories slaves told to entertain themselves during those bad times…but the stories continued to be told after freedom had arrived and slavery had ended. This is history; indeed, some scholars suggest that Brer Rabbit’s victories using his wits to out-trick his foes are stories suggesting slaves outwitting the slave owners and overseers. Whether that’s true, a partial truth, or not, this is still an important part of African-American history. It shows that African-Americans, even when enslaved, had their own folktales, their own culture, their own stories.

That is what has been cancelled today: African-American history, and the world will be a poorer place for it. Millions of people every year got exposed to African-American folktales, now none of them will. Splash Mountain acted as a preservation resource for this bit of African-American history. Not anymore. Oh, sure, we’ll see a strong young African-American woman overcome odds, but many of us see that all the time in our daily lives.

Thank you, cancel culture. You’ve just helped kill African-American history, culture and heritage.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
On the Facebook announcement, there's 15k likes, 9.9k loves, and 3.8k angry reactions. This is your "average" fan. The one that enjoys WDW but maybe isn't on the forums discussing in great length.

The general public knows about the announcement now, and, based on reactions the majority are on board. There's no way they pull back after today.

Again, how many people who liked it actually rode the current ride or been to the parks? There are people out there that will jump in and do whatever because they want to fit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom