Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuteSuperstar

Because of the pandemic, Disney is having trouble getting their hands on enough TNT to blow it up.

Cute but why keep it open for any length of time now? Why let more guests be exposed to something that Disney clearly wants to distance itself from ASAP? Is that not a "bad look"?

Last edited:
THAT IT IM DONE!!!!!!! It wasn’t an issue now and if there caving to this propaganda now I’m not going there any more. Disney is going to far left rather than staying where it belongs out of the real world. Where all gods children, I stand by that all the way but this is stupid. You don’t like it you can remove me from the site. For speaking my mind. It won’t matter to be I’m done with Disney.

Wow at least this just confirms what demographic is heavily on this forum. Those damn liberals re theming old rides!!

I just wanted to blow your mind by telling you that I read constantly, have an English lit. degree...AND YET I still have time to read this forum and be upset about SM being rethemed.

If you're going to accuse people of thinking that everyone else must be stupid maybe you should stop engaging in that very same behaviour yourself.

Except I understand that people will miss the ride including me. But what I don’t understand is why people like you claim that the whole operation including the people who are fine with it must be a communist? Some things in this country really don’t change do they.. You would be right at home in the red scare, which maybe defends why theme park rides should never change when people like you don’t either.

MrMcDuck

Hey guys let’s talk about the ride.

Going up on the lift hill likely themed to Friends on the Other Side is going to be awesome. It’s like they made that song with a Disney Parks ride in mind.

Not expecting much from the retheme. Doubt they'll put enough $$$ into it. And I don't think Dr. Facilier and his "Friends on the Other Side" will be a major part of it since it's set after the final kiss, but I'm sure there will be a nod to that part of it somewhere.

DarkMetroid567

The media certainly banged that drum until people believed it.

I’ve seen people on these boards call out IASW because they equate cartoon versions of “historical cultural diversity” with “racism.” “It’s so racist because they’re dressed in historical stereotypes no one wears anymore!” All right, let’s put all the kids in the same clothes. Which ones do you approve? Twenty-first century American versions? Hypocrites.
honestly I don’t even really think the media has ever talked about this much

the-reason14

And that is their choice but you have a segment that will feel this is also racist as it portrays them bad. They are poor struggling etc. You wont ever win....

Um no. While Tianna, her family, and her people definitely lived in the poorer part of town, she fulfilled her dream of opening a restaurant. She was a hard worker, a dreamer, but believed that hard work was what would pay off, and it did. So she won and fulfilled the “American Dream.”

UNCgolf

No they aren't different. Language doesn't make you different. They come from the same island and arrived from Africa in the same boats. Spain killed all the Indians in those islands, Haiti and DR kicked out all the white people from Spain when they declared independence, and they moved to PR and Cuba. The ones living in the us are part of the African American community.

Haitians kicked out the French (not the Spanish) in what began as a slave uprising (which took place at the same time as the French Revolution and they're relatively entwined). They then occupied the Dominican Republic for a couple of decades before the Dominicans kicked out the Haitians and declared themselves independent. That is, of course, the broadest possible overview and leaves out every important detail, but Haitians and Dominicans have a very different history.

Last edited:

DarkMetroid567

Not expecting much from the retheme. Doubt they'll put enough $$$ into it. And I don't think Dr. Facilier and his "Friends on the Other Side" will be a major part of it since it's set after the final kiss, but I'm sure there will be a nod to that part of it somewhere.
The reprise is set after the final kiss, right? and I’m hoping they take a few creative liberties. They do need something engaging for the drop section and a book report ride would not be the greatest idea.

LF85

People can react however they want to, I just find it entertaining as the reaction was predictable, and I am sure Disney also anticipated it and won't care.

So react, be sad, angry, burn your pass, don't go back. I'll react how I see fit. Just as you will.

But Disney is still gonna "take us there, take us there, take us all the way there. Cause we're going down the bayou, going down the bayou, going down the bayou, taking us alllll, the way!" 🎷🎵

Yes they’re gonna take us from one racist film to another.

Parker in NYC

I just wanted to blow your mind by telling you that I read constantly, have an English lit. degree...AND YET I still have time to read this forum and be upset about SM being rethemed.

If you're going to accuse people of thinking that everyone else must be stupid maybe you should stop engaging in that very same behaviour yourself.

I consider myself kinda sorta well read. Maybe. I'm working through my issues right now in response to the news, conflicted and not terribly happy about it. I'll make peace with it at some point or at least I'll learn to find some rationale. But right now, it's terrible news. I come from a long line of civil rights activists and my mom wouldn't be too keen on my response but for Disney theme park devotees, whether or not it's warranted, this is a highly emotional development. Especially in light of all the other changes happening in the world. I want to hold onto something, something safe. Something known. And this is a time where those things are in flux, difficult as that may be.

J_Carioca

No they aren't different. Language doesn't make you different. They come from the same island and arrived from Africa in the same boats. Spain killed all the Indians in those islands, Haiti and DR kicked out all the white people from Spain when they declared independence, and they moved to PR and Cuba. The ones living in the us are part of the African American community.

I didn't say anything about language. I talked about ethnicity. You're totally wrong, but I can see that you don't even want to bother with a quick internet search that would set you straight. Dominicans are largely a mix of Spanish/white, indigenous (I think the term "Indians" is passe, by the way) and African. It's a completely different history than Haiti. Have you been to these two countries? People look very different. Also, as I said in my earlier post, racism towards Haitians is a real problem in the DR.

davis_unoxx

D98B7FC1-EC11-486D-9828-BDBA0C94D1BB.jpeg
3866C694-8F1B-4745-8CB6-A23A92840180.jpeg

Parker in NYC

It's on the rumored list of attractions to look at in response to the new BLM protests.

As I've mentioned, the movie part has already been updated to address slavery and continued need for vigilance of civil rights. But maybe they'll get more specific.

An oft-touted suggestion is to stop having the current president give a speech to stop the partisanship dragged into the theater.

Ah, ok. I think the current film is wonderful but the more specific the better. The latter part would raise all hell. But then, if this is any kind of litmus test... if Disney survives Splash Mountain, anything's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom