Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Jobu

Do you think Disney is going to give the current iteration a going away celebration and sell T-Shirts, cupcakes, and other cr@p like they have done so with recently closed attractions?

Splash Mountain by decree of the woke mob is now at the level or worse than (insert your own despot evil dictator).

If this is actually going to happen, and relatively soon, I'm sure there are execs positively salivating at the thought of "so long Splash Mountain" merch they can shift. Like Great Movie Ride and Reflections times 100.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They don't have the money.

But given theme park demand is so low and will be for the foreseeable future, they could just keep it closed. Saves them money and appeases the woke mob.
There is no reason or justification for reopening the ride with the rest of the park in July.

We do need to be consistent though, anything else problematic, or like Splash, connected to someone or something problematic, must be shut down immediately.

CoasterSnoop

Think about the millions of dollars that are going to be spent on a knee-jerk reaction.

Think about how terrible of a business decision that is. Disney, however, is a soundly-run business, even if fans don't always agree with their decisions. That concept art did not get slapped together in an afternoon. This has been planned, likely for awhile, and Disney is capitalizing on the current political climate with their wording and timing of the announcement.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
"legitimate Disney Fan".... some of you don't have a life outside of these forums and it shows...
You're on a Disney Park forums fandom (I'm shocked at how often I have to remind clueless people about this plain and simple fact). Open your eyes. It's a discussion forum for fans of Disney theme parks. Of COURSE the people who participate on these forums live their lives around Disney theme parks. In the same sense that there are huge Harry Potter fans with fan-fiction sites (our equivalent to imagineering forums). Or a young man has his room dedicated with signed football superstar products with football stations on three different TVs in his mancave.

You're on a DISNEY. FAN. SITE. If you think you're going to be able to get away with bashing classic, historical, beloved attractions by hundreds of Disney fans here, then you're delusional.

But that's probably what you were wanting anyways.

Mike S

You mean our generation that refuses to put up with the BS that previous generations did? To think - if they had only not tanked the economy twice and elected good leadership consistently, we'd all have jobs to take up our time and no time to care.
Speak for yourself I’ve got two jobs right now.

UNCgolf

The movie takes place during Reconstruction as does the book it's based on. But the movie doesn't make that explicit. Many people who've seen the movie think it's still taking place during the time of slavery... which just shows what kind of depiction of Black people are given in the movie.​
The Blacks in the movie are sharecroppers during Reconstruction. Though freed, they are still dirt poor and treated very badly by most White people. Their rights are stifled (until the 1960s with the Civil Rights Act). The are kept poor and disenfranchised. And when they try to get ahead, they are lynched and terrorizes. That's the lot of the freed slaves in the South. But the movie not only ignores all that, but makes the sharecroppers happy-go-lucky farmers with not a care in the world.​
The movie engages in the trope of The Magic Negro.​

This isn't really an accurate depiction of the Reconstruction era (nor is the movie, obviously) -- African Americans had more political power during Reconstruction than at any other time in American history up until the present. They held numerous state and local positions, as well as a US Senate seat and multiple seats in the House. It was when Reconstruction ended that white supremacy really reared its ugly head again (in terms of full control of political power, that is... there was plenty of white supremacy during Reconstruction).

Not that any of that is relevant to the movie or has anything to do with the ride.

Last edited:

_caleb

Does this mark the official end of caring about thematic integrity? I know there have been some stretches to make certain attractions fit before (ironically including Splash Mountain in Frontierland), but it seems like the new mentality is to just lackadaisically insert IP into areas that don’t make sense at all. Bayous in the frontier? Guardians of the Galaxy in 1930s Hollywood? They’re becoming less theme parks and more amusement parks by the second.
I think the official end was a long time ago

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
1593112160297.png

PrincessNelly_NJ

You're on a Disney Park forums fandom (I'm shocked at how often I have to remind clueless people about this plain and simple fact). Open your eyes. It's a discussion forum for fans of Disney theme parks. Of COURSE the people who participate on these forums live their lives around Disney theme parks. In the same sense that there are huge Harry Potter fans with fan-fiction sites (our equivalent to imagineering forums). Or a young man has his room dedicated with signed football superstar products with football stations on three different TVs in his mancave.

You're on a DISNEY. FAN. SITE. If you think you're going to be able to get away with bashing classic, historical, beloved attractions by hundreds of Disney fans here, then you're delusional.

But that's probably what you were wanting anyways.
people on these boards attacking whether youre a "true" disney fan because you have a difference of opinion is silly.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
There is no reason or justification for reopening the ride with the rest of the park in July.

We do need to be consistent though, anything else problematic, or like Splash, connected to someone or something problematic, must be shut down immediately.

If Disney wants to go down that brier patch, then they had better prepare to shut down a lot.

hokielutz

I support this change, but I think they've done a disservice to the Princess and the Frog movie by setting this "after the final kiss". How will they build up the fear of the drop if they don't even have Dr Falicitier and his spirits to taunt us? Perhaps they were afraid that would eventually be called out as improper too?

I want the props they're removing from this ride.

I will claim the gopher from the tree that says "FSU"

GO HOKIES!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom