Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeoplemoverTTA

Can we sticky this post please? So tired of the rage mob not taking the time to research and understand history before calling for its destruction.

Um, the people "raging" here are those getting upset about a 30+ year old theme park attraction being changed...

I think that a majority of the people on this thread would benefit by looking in the mirror and realizing THEY'RE the "angry mob."

noodles

Yeah, I don't know how retheming to a story developed by two older white guys based on another white guy's fairy tale really helps address the serious injustices and inequities within your community in a meaningful way. I'm sorry.

Especially, when I know that, despite these types of performative actions, they will continue to "import" labor to keep, especially Orlando's, wages suppressed below what they would be naturally, which has a real, and negative effect on the lives of people struggling with inequality. Which spills over to those people who don't work for Disney and live in the areas around the parks. I tell my DH, Disney is equal opportunity when it comes to who they are willing to exploit. All those articles about the actual living conditions of the theme park workers doesn't magically go away because Tiana has an attraction. This is the types of thing the people who are invested in keeping the systemic and structural barriers intact, are willing to cede, in order to keep the things that really matter: money and power. "Have Tiana, we can exploit and sell her just as well, if not better than the Brer characters."

But since I am a white person, I don't know if I am missing something. IMO, it feels like when people are upset about something huge but they can't find the words to fully express it, so it manifests itself as being upset with something more minor. Celebrating the minor victory, lasts for a moment, but all the underlying pain and frustration remains, festering because the real problem still isn't addressed.

Louisiana was part of that whole Louisiana Purchase thingy. An edge, yeah, but still part of what we associate with the American Frontier.
And while the minor victory is being celebrated, you have added that "pain and frustration..., festering..." to tons of people who have been loyal customers, but who don't like paying top dollar to be reminded of that pain. So, good job. Let's destroy every single thing. That is the only solution.

UNCgolf

I can already hear "Gonna Take You There" and if they give us an epic Louis animatronic I am so ready for this. If Disney is going to replace one of my favorite rides then I'm glad they are doing it with my favorite movie. While they are at it, retheme Tom Sawyer's Island and give us a place for the Tiana's Palace Restaurant.

Way too hard to get people there and back for a restaurant. Unless they build a bridge across and shut down the riverboat.

mickeymiss

This isn't my "if Disney messes with it, I'm done with them" ride. Mine is ToT. So I can sympathize with the anger a lot of people are feeling who did have Splash as their "untouchable", even though I'm not feeling the same anger.

Such a shame.

I don’t know how to feel honestly. I was gut punched but now I’m okay lol. It helps that the re-theme looks stunning. Good things end sometimes and I hope that people can ride it one last time over the next year or two. It’s a classic. It deserves a send off.

hokielutz

Why "manufactured outrage"?

Can you (and others) not accept that some people legitimately find the ride offensive?

Just because you're not offended by something doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

And there is the problem with today.... everyone is offended by something. Where does this stop?? What will be next on the chopping block? I heard IASM has alot of racial/ethnic sterotypes. Maybe that will develop into another change.org petition.
In this case it does not use the direct references of the SotS movie... but instead creates a different story. And OMG... they didn't use a $100M movie IP to create one of the better more popular rides in the whole park.

Yea, and the first story you referenced was already rewritten from a violent fairy tale. Applying your logic evenly, I guess Disney should've included Cinderella's step-sisters chopping off their feet and having their eyes pecked out. What? That's not kid-friendly? But shouldn't we be making it accurate to the original???

I couldn’t agree more! In the original story, the little mermaid DIES! I remind people of that every time I go on the ride! It traumatised me as a Child!

The_Jobu

If thousands of people are offended enough to sign a petition, is it okay with you if Disney change the theme of their attraction?

Thousands? No. That's such a small minority of people who enjoy the ride that are angry enough to sign a petition, but not angry enough to actually write letters and form coherent opinions and suggestions.

Have you seen what some of those online petitions endorse? Drastic knee-jerk reactions are never good ideas.

noodles

Um, the people "raging" here are those getting upset about a 30+ year old theme park attraction being changed...

I think that a majority of the people on this thread would benefit by looking in the mirror and realizing THEY'RE the "angry mob."
Yes, I am. And I'm growing. The adults are about ready to respond to the tantrums being thrown.

Lintemuthstudios

Yeah. Some of the replies here are flat out ridiculous. It's a freaking retheme people! Get over yourselves!

The_Jobu

I don’t know how to feel honestly. I was gut punched but now I’m okay lol. It helps that the re-theme looks stunning. Good things end sometimes and I hope that people can ride it one last time over the next year or two. It’s a classic. It deserves a send off.

If there's one thing we can still depend on Disney, it's their ability to hawk merch for closing attractions.

Oskar

I do think this has been announced prematurely, particularly when Bob Weis is talking about some construction projects already underway at the parks needing to be restarted gradually.

Add in the economic difficulties, and noting that Universal are laying off Florida park employees, you do question why Disney would announce this now when so much is uncertain - there are no real details, no dates, one piece of concept art. It's obviously positive press in the short-term, but any goodwill will disappear pretty quickly if this project runs into difficulties.

sublimesting

Rides come and go. Its the nature of the theme park industry. No matter how iconic a ride may be, its inevitable that it won't have meaning to a new generation 40 years later.

This will go over very well with kids and teens.
Sure but is PATF really resonating with today’s kids? It’s already 11 years old. Not to mention princess overload.

lebeau

Thousands? No. That's such a small minority of people who enjoy the ride that are angry enough to sign a petition, but not angry enough to actually write letters and form coherent opinions and suggestions.

Have you seen what some of those online petitions endorse? Drastic knee-jerk reactions are never good ideas.

I have. I told this story earlier. My wife showed me a petition last week. I said I personally wasn't offended by the ride. And I'm not. But if people are, so be it. I'll take their feelings into consideration because I am a considerate guy.

And also because it's Disney's ride and they can do whatever they want with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom