Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavernacle12

I mean if Disney wants to be so progressive why not build a NEW ride for princess and the frog I mean it's not like MK is suffering with capacity or anything.

giphy.gif

That’s not remotely what this is about nor would it solve the problem.

zemmyz

It's the timing of this that hurts for me. Because I know for a fact it won't even be close to what it could be in regards to the budget, and a lame layover over something this important is just shameful

Clopin Trouillefou

personally very sad. I'm turning 30 next year and this thing scared the crud out of me for 1/3 of my life and remained as much fun as you could have in the park the rest of the time.

also, personally well-aware of the fact that the current iteration comes from source material that isn't just "politically incorrect," it's racist. It's an outright depiction of a black person as a lesser human. that's not up for debate, as @RSoxNo1 said.

I hope the new version is fun enough, but I'll miss the original a ton.

Disney Analyst

what an ignorant post.

Wait, please explain. Is it ignorant because I am okay with the change, and you disagree with that and are angry so you are projecting onto me?

Or ignorant because the history of Disney now tells us they are willing to change fan favorites and could care less what we think?

I would love to further discuss what is ignorant in my post.

MrPromey

I mean... look at how many adults in this thread are gutted over a 1946 movie & 1989 ride... if it still means so much to them, I'm sure PATF will for years to come. Especially for young girls who see tiana as the only princess who looks like them.

I think a lot of people just don't have as much faith in current management as you apparently do when it comes to destroying an existing classic attraction to turn it into something else.

A re-theme by it's very nature means that there will be considerable creative compromise made as they attempt to fit the new theme into the existing space. Think about how we got a low capacity boat ride for Frozen in the wrong park that has visible pipes in the way of one of the opening scenes as you go up the initial lift hill...

Also, look at the description of the ride - taking place after the movie while they get ready for a Mardi Gras party. That means, to continue with the Frozen theme/example, we can look forward to a Frozen Fever type of story taking over the existing story that actually has serious and some might argue slightly frightening themes that feel appropriate for what is essentially a thrill ride.

I'm happy that Princess and the Frog is getting an attraction. I thought it was a great movie that didn't get the attention it deserved simply because it wasn't computer animated.

I'm happy that due to the bones of what they are starting with, it will almost have to be better than what we got with other recent princess rides like Little Mermaid and Frozen but I'm sad that it will probably end up being less than what it's replacing.

If current Disney wasn't already known for corner-cutting and if the company as a whole had a better track record when it came to doing rethemes of existing stuff, I'd be a lot more optimistic but I fully expect the replacement to not meet the standards of what it is replacing, much less exceed them.

If they do, I'll be shocked and thrilled but mostly shocked.

Last edited:

TJinSF

Your circle isn't representative, at all.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I've lived and made friends in red and blue states and speak daily with people with a variety of perspectives. You really don't know who's in it, but I accept that your circle may have different responses.

But as I should have written with my first post, I think there are a lot of people who think the change is stupid, even offensive...who are still going to be on a plane to Orlando for the kids, or watching the next blockbuster because everyone is talking about it, etc. We are, in relative terms, zealots about the parks on this board. Most people are not so deeply attached to this ride and the general shape of things at the resorts. To be frank, I think many people on both sides of different "boycotts" and "cancelations" are too lazy to keep up with them when that chicken sandwich tastes good or that Star Wars movie is out or whatever.

The hysterical suggestion that people are going to be walking away from Disney en masse over this, because liberals / progressive aren't their consumers, is utterly mistaken, in my opinion. Of the few people in my circle who have been agitating for this change, they have all been massive Disney fans who would like to see some changes in a product they love and consume regularly. I know it's unpopular here to claim that anyone calling for these changes is anything other than some shadowy enemy of everything we enjoy, but they're not that. Perhaps that's part of why I find much of this discussion very interesting but can't take it all seriously. I think it's so wrong-premised in terms of just where this is all coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom