Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasure fan1

I don’t think WRE is any more of an appropriate response than PatF. This isn’t just the destruction of a great ride. This is the defamation of significant cultural stories passed down by Africans and African Americans.
The appropriate thing is to fix the stories they made like you said, then add PatF to another area, but we all know how Disney works. So personally I would rather see something like Western River just flat out replace splash. I just have zero faith in their ability to do a quality overlay that comes even remotely close to the iconic status of splash.

_caleb

It makes me wonder, do you think that if they have to cancel the retheme due to how expensive it's gonna be (or if they go through with it, it sucks, and everyone hates it) Disney is gonna learn a lesson about not bowing down to people complaining on Twitter?
Disney. Isn't. Doing. This. Because. Of. Twitter.
I beg to differ.
Depressingly, I could picture them doing that. It would still allow them to look like heroes for getting rid of a "racist" attraction.

Depressingly, I could see them doing that too.

Yeah, Disney parks fans will probably just go gaga over the sparkly new Tiana ride and not realize that it's lousy.

I'm not trying to put this thread in a political direction, but, yes. Yes, they are. Consider the facts...
The narrative that Disney is making changes to Splash Mountain because they’re afraid of a “Twitter mob” doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. You bring these same points up in every tread, and they’re not true.
- Splash Mountain is a popular attraction, so why would they be redoing it if not because they want to look good in front of the "Twitter mob" or whatever?
Splash Mountain is popular. But Disney is changing the ride for precisely the reasons they’ve publicly provided: they don’t think the source material makes for an attraction that is welcoming and inclusive.

You overestimate the size and influence of the “Twitter mob” who is calling for the changes to be made, and underestimate the size and influence of the “Twitter mob” who want the ride to stay the same. Between the two, which one do you think is part of Disney’s core audience? Which one spends more money at the parks? And how many of Disney’s actual customers are influenced by Twitter at all? Very few! (Look at how much money and effort Disney puts into advertising on Twitter vs. other media for a hint.)
- The idea of a Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain is what these folks were demanding. Disney announced it after they demanded it. Coincidence? I think not.
People ”demand” that Disney change/not change things all the time. This is not how Disney decides what they’re going to do/not do. They don’t care about armchair imagineering ideas, hashtag activism, or boycott threats (see the Southern Baptist Convention’s boycott back in the late 90s).

That’s not to say that the timing of the announcement about retheming Splash Mountain was a coincidence. It came during a time when many companies were soul-searching about their part in perpetuating racial insensitivities and inequality. This was different than a “Twitter mob,” it was a mandate from the highest levels of the company, which had already made several expensive and controversial changes to the parks in the name of inclusion and diversity.
- Disney didn't give a crap about The Princess and the Frog for years, brushing it off as a flop and "proof" that hand-drawn films were dangerous. Why would they suddenly want to build a ride about a film they considered a flop?
I’ve told you this before, but The Princess and the Frog was not ever considered a flop. The film doubled its production budget at the box office and outperformed a number of Disney's other animated films in that decade. But John Lasseter wanted the film to spark something of a Renaissance of hand-drawn animation, but the Princess and the Frog didn’t have that effect on the public.

Where the Princess and the Frog was wildly successful, though, was with the African American audience. The bar was low, as there has historically been so little representation of Black people in Disney‘s animated films. But the film’s characters and story successfully captured a perspective and tone that resonated with Black Americans in a way that no other Disney property has. That makes it valuable. And if Disney is trying to distance itself from IP that makes Black Americans feel unwelcome or excluded, Princess and the Frog is a good way to go.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
The narrative that Disney is making changes to Splash Mountain because they’re afraid of a “Twitter mob” doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. You bring these same points up in every tread, and they’re not true.

Splash Mountain is popular. But Disney is changing the ride for precisely the reasons they’ve publicly provided: they don’t think the source material makes for an attraction that is welcoming and inclusive.

You overestimate the size and influence of the “Twitter mob” who is calling for the changes to be made, and underestimate the size and influence of the “Twitter mob” who want the ride to stay the same. Between the two, which one do you think is part of Disney’s core audience? Which one spends more money at the parks? And how many of Disney’s actual customers are influenced by Twitter at all? Very few! (Look at how much money and effort Disney puts into advertising on Twitter vs. other media for a hint.)

People ”demand” that Disney change/not change things all the time. This is not how Disney decides what they’re going to do/not do. They don’t care about armchair imagineering ideas, hashtag activism, or boycott threats (see the Southern Baptist Convention’s boycott back in the late 90s).

That’s not to say that the timing of the announcement about retheming Splash Mountain was a coincidence. It came during a time when many companies were soul-searching about their part in perpetuating racial insensitivities and inequality. This was different than a “Twitter mob,” it was a mandate from the highest levels of the company, which had already made several expensive and controversial changes to the parks in the name of inclusion and diversity.

I’ve told you this before, but The Princess and the Frog was not ever considered a flop. The film doubled its production budget at the box office and outperformed a number of Disney's other animated films in that decade. But John Lasseter wanted the film to spark something of a Renaissance of hand-drawn animation, but the Princess and the Frog didn’t have that effect on the public.

Where the Princess and the Frog was wildly successful, though, was with the African American audience. The bar was low, as there has historically been so little representation of Black people in Disney‘s animated films. But the film’s characters and story successfully captured a perspective and tone that resonated with Black Americans in a way that no other Disney property has. That makes it valuable. And if Disney is trying to distance itself from IP that makes Black Americans feel unwelcome or excluded, Princess and the Frog is a good way to go.
Untitled64_20210216170513.png
Untitled65_20210216172144.png

Meanwhile the Pro Splash groups go to extremes like this. Yes I bleeped names for privacy, except my own. It's stuff like this that gives Splash a bad light, people.

_caleb

View attachment 533153View attachment 533154
Meanwhile the Pro Splash groups go to extremes like this. Yes I bleeped names for privacy, except my own. It's stuff like this that gives Splash a bad light, people.
Yeah- this is QAnon levels of crazy. “Lose Splash, lose Disney, lose America forever?“ That’s ridiculous. Also, the desire to blame CMs or armchair imagineers (Frederick Chambers) or random kids on Twitter is bizarre. I understand people being upset about the change, but the mysterious and elaborate backstories people invent to try to cope with (or influence) decisions that have already been made are just wild.

Californian Elitist

Yeah- this is QAnon levels of crazy. “Lose Splash, lose Disney, lose America forever?“ That’s ridiculous. Also, the desire to blame CMs or armchair imagineers (Frederick Chambers) or random kids on Twitter is bizarre. I understand people being upset about the change, but the mysterious and elaborate backstories people invent to try to cope with (or influence) decisions that have already been made are just wild.
I said this in another thread in the DL forum, but I’ll repeat it here. Anyone who honestly believes that Twitter and that CM are responsible for Splash’s re-theme hasn’t been paying attention over the last decade or maybe even more. In addition, if fans are to blame anyone, they should blame Disney.

Losing Splash means losing Disney, which ultimately means losing America. I can’t take one serious after such a statement. Ridiculous.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I said this in another thread in the DL forum, but I’ll repeat it here. Anyone who honestly believes that Twitter and that CM are responsible for Splash’s re-theme hasn’t been paying attention over the last decade or maybe even more.
I've said it in this thread, the WDW thread, the DL thread but I highly doubt PatF going into Splash was only just now considered. I wouldn't be shocked if it was considered when the movie hit theaters. After all, SoTS was considered a no-no by then.

Californian Elitist

I've said it in this thread, the WDW thread, the DL thread but I highly doubt PatF going into Splash was only just now considered. I wouldn't be shocked if it was considered when the movie hit theaters. After all, SoTS was considered a no-no by then.
Exactly. Disney has refused to officially release SotS for many years now. At this point, it’s a taboo film within the Disney collection, as Disney won’t even speak of the film. They did this.

They had plans prior to the CM making noise about it.

UNCgolf

Twitter is in this weird place where people on it have an outsized idea of its importance, and people in the media do too -- probably because they're also all on Twitter. I think corporations like Disney may understand it more (hence why they don't advertise so much there, as was mentioned).

That's not to say I don't have a Twitter account, because I do, but there actually aren't that many people that do -- something like 20% of US adults have an account. Beyond that, less than half of those people are on Twitter daily, and a much smaller percentage of those users actually tweet or respond to tweets.

I think the final numbers suggest something like 10% of the total user base -- which isn't that big to begin with as I laid out above -- is responsible for 80-90% of the tweets and conversation. Essentially it's a very small percentage of the US population talking to each other while a somewhat higher percentage watches off and on, and the majority of the country pays no attention whatsoever.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Moments like this actually serve the other side of the splash arguement much better, because that gives them ammo that can, and will, be used to discredit a person. If you want to win an arguement of any kind, three things are needed; kidness, cordiality, and most importantly, THE WILLINGNESS TO LISTEN.

CaptainAmerica

Twitter is in this weird place where people on it have an outsized idea of its importance, and people in the media do too -- probably because they're also all on Twitter. I think corporations like Disney may understand it more (hence why they don't advertise so much there, as was mentioned).

That's not to say I don't have a Twitter account, because I do, but there actually aren't that many people that do -- something like 20% of US adults have an account. Beyond that, less than half of those people are on Twitter daily, and a much smaller percentage of those users actually tweet or respond to tweets.

I think the final numbers suggest something like 10% of the total user base -- which isn't that big to begin with as I laid out above -- is responsible for 80-90% of the tweets and conversation. Essentially it's a very small percentage of the US population talking to each other while a somewhat higher percentage watches off and on, and the majority of the country pays no attention whatsoever.
The issue isn't the Twitter users, the issue is cable news and mainstream websites reporting things like "Calls for Disney to Change Attraction with Racist Origins" even if those calls are only among the small faction of Twitter users.

Also, Disney advertises a TON on Twitter so I'm not sure where you got that idea.

UNCgolf

The issue isn't the Twitter users, the issue is cable news and mainstream websites reporting things like "Calls for Disney to Change Attraction with Racist Origins" even if those calls are only among the small faction of Twitter users.

Also, Disney advertises a TON on Twitter so I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Right, which is what I was alluding to above. Most of the media is on Twitter so they often think it has more importance than it actually does too -- plus it's just an easy (and sometimes lazy) place to come up with a story.

As for advertising, someone else mentioned above that Disney doesn't advertise on Twitter nearly as much as they do on other media and I just took that at face value.

CaptainAmerica

If there's stuff that deserves to be exposed, it should be exposed. Expose everyone for everything, I don't care what the reason is.

EDIT: Wait a second, this kid is a part timer at Disneyland? The implication from the Facebook post is that he's some kind of big shot. He didn't play a "big role" in anything.

Last edited:

_caleb

Disney was Facebook’s top ad buyer, spending $210 million for Disney+ ads alone on Facebook in the US in the first half of 2020. It spent $16 million for Hulu ads on Facebook-owned Instagram between April 15 and June 30. This is just for D+, not individual films/shows, parks, services, etc.

Disney’s Twitter strategy is completely different. Rather than ad buys, they leverage their existing accounts for promotion and try for more a organic reach. These efforts are actually more “newsworthy” in that they represent messages resonating with the number of people who actually engage or retweet them.

Either way, if Disney ONLY wanted to pander to their base, they’d do better to shy away from anything resembling “woke” social/political content. But here they are, making changes. Do these changes align with what a small portion of their audience is calling for? Sure. But I’d like to see some evidence for the idea that Disney is afraid of that small portion of the audience (which is NOT a major source of revenue and has little influence with Disney’s base).

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Disney was Facebook’s top ad buyer, spending $210 million for Disney+ ads alone on Facebook in the US in the first half of 2020. It spent $16 million for Hulu ads on Facebook-owned Instagram between April 15 and June 30. This is just for D+, not individual films/shows, parks, services, etc.

Disney’s Twitter strategy is completely different. Rather than ad buys, they leverage their existing accounts for promotion and try for more a organic reach. These efforts are actually more “newsworthy” in that they represent messages resonating with the number of people who actually engage or retweet them.

Either way, if Disney ONLY wanted to pander to their base, they’d do better to shy away from anything resembling “woke” social/political content. But here they are, making changes. Do these changes align with what a small portion of their audience is calling for? Sure. But I’d like to see some evidence for the idea that Disney is afraid of that small portion of the audience (which is NOT a major source of revenue and has little influence with Disney’s base).
And plus, if they really were afraid of a small portion of their audience, Mr. Toad would still be open at WDW.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
EDIT: Wait a second, this kid is a part timer at Disneyland? The implication from the Facebook post is that he's some kind of big shot. He didn't play a "big role" in anything.
The point is that these people are trying to grasp at straws, because they can’t grasp the fact that Disney would do something they don’t like, despite being a business. thus, they are looking to doxx and attack any people they see as responible for this retheme. This is not only dangerous, but illegal.

champdisney

I have said this last June when the retheme was announced and that is how I am sure Disney will do a decent job with the retheme. From my point of view and seeing how the people’s culture has drastically changed over the years, especially due to social media. I believe that social media sites like Twitter have a big reason behind a lot of the decisions made by companies such as Disney. Whether you agree or not, that is my opinion.

I’ve been on Facebook since ‘07, Twitter and Instagram since 2012. Out of all these social media sites, it is Twitter that gains the most traction. With hardly no censorship and an easy route to reach out to the ‘right people’ directly, this is why Twitter has become the social template of modern day culture. With hashtags it is easy to spread the word around and with enough people posting with the same hashtag attached, it starts trending. It happens either for the good or bad.

One example of the GOOD off the top of my head:
#MeToo

One example of the BAD and it’s a recent one:
#FireGinaCarano

I wouldn’t throw in Splash Mountain on either of those because depending on what side of the argument you’re on, you’re either #ChangeSplashMountain or #SaveSplashMountain. Simple as that. Some will say that the media plays a huge part in this and while I can semi-agree, let me ask you this: How many times has the media shown footage of happy guests dropping down Chickapin Hill, regardless if it is a good report or (mostly) a negative report? All the damn time!

So my question is, why publicly display an attraction they deem offensive? This is why the media is not to be trusted. It’s pretty crazy how people will obey the commands of something so insignificant such as the media. Once the media throws an idea out there, the people listening (some not all) will carry those ideas on to social media sites in which Twitter, the most dominant because it has been proven that change can be made through there.

Over the past couple of years, I distinctly remember there were a few attempts to kick #ChangeSplashMountain off the ground. It almost seemed as if it was routinely done but nothing would materialize until Disney sent their surveys out there to Lord knows who in the midst of the last Presidential Administration. The country was in a heap of trouble and still is when it comes to how we as a society regard each other’s opposing opinions. I think Disney is trying to portray a caring image, key word: portray.

With TWDC’s leadership, it’s clear that this was done for some good PR and financial gaining. A lot of folks tend to believe this isn’t a money motivated factor but it is. Bad press equals money loss. Although, I’m more than sure Disney would have been just fine after all of the smoke has cleared. Its the mindset of Mr. Cool and Hip! Bob Iger who wouldn’t stand being labeled a racist. He is the robot that wants your praise and your money. I won’t delve deeper than that.

I think that while yes Splash Mountain may have been an issue for some individuals long before it became the irksome talking points of the media. We can not dismiss or ignore the huge impact social media, primarily Twitter has played in all of this. Don’t you know that Twitter has become the place where people seek to destroy other people’s reputation just because of the differences of opinion?

While some may say that Disney had the retheme planned out long before the George Floyd tragedy, I’m not disagreeing with that. I just think the attraction was in its early stages of development and because of the riots and protests happening during that time, that caused Disney to announce it earlier than expected. Cause look, nearly a year after the initial announcement there is still no word on when the retheme will commence? I don’t know.

Donaldfan1934

While I agree that Disney is ultimately the one responsible for most of their decisions, it isn’t entirely unreasonable for someone assume social media had some sort of influence here. For one, what happened to Splash Mountain was not an isolated incident. Even though the average Twitter user may not accurately represent the core audience of most companies, this isn’t the first or last time Disney and other corporations have announced and/or made major decisions in seemingly direct response to said average user’s preceding outrage against their products or employees.

Secondly, even if it was just a big coincidence, the fact that both Disney and the CM both settled on the idea of converting Splash into a PatF attraction above all other options is naturally going to raise eyebrows. To be clear, I’m not saying the conclusions people have made in regard to social media’s influence on this or similar decisions are necessarily right or wrong. I’m just saying there are certain factors at play that can lead to some people forming such a perspective.
While PatF did in fact outperform some of Disney’s other animated films that came out over the course of the decade leading up to it, that’s not saying much given how low of a bar that was to cross. Let’s not rewrite history here. Even though PatF may not have been outright bomb and is generally considered to be the start of the revival era at WDAS, it‘s an objective fact that it was considered by Disney to have underperformed upon its initial release. Beyond failing to kickstart a hand-drawn Renaissance as John Lasseter intended, its box office results were also directly responsible for Disney changing the titles and marketing of their then upcoming slate of princess films to be more gender neutral.
F9A2EA34-35AA-4E4C-A793-041817B7B1AF.jpeg

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Again, I'm not sure where you're getting this information. There was a solid stretch pre-COVID where the only promoted tweets I saw from any company were ad rolls for Galaxy's Edge in front of Ellen clips. The Ellen clips would change from week to week, but the SWGE ads ran constantly.

Donaldfan1934

I have said this last June when the retheme was announced and that is how I am sure Disney will do a decent job with the retheme. From my point of view and seeing how the people’s culture has drastically changed over the years, especially due to social media. I believe that social media sites like Twitter have a big reason behind a lot of the decisions made by companies such as Disney. Whether you agree or not, that is my opinion.

I’ve been on Facebook since ‘07, Twitter and Instagram since 2012. Out of all these social media sites, it is Twitter that gains the most traction. With hardly no censorship and an easy route to reach out to the ‘right people’ directly, this is why Twitter has become the social template of modern day culture. With hashtags it is easy to spread the word around and with enough people posting with the same hashtag attached, it starts trending. It happens either for the good or bad.

One example of the GOOD off the top of my head:
#MeToo

One example of the BAD and it’s a recent one:
#FireGinaCarano

I wouldn’t throw in Splash Mountain on either of those because depending on what side of the argument you’re on, you’re either #ChangeSplashMountain or #SaveSplashMountain. Simple as that. Some will say that the media plays a huge part in this and while I can semi-agree, let me ask you this: How many times has the media shown footage of happy guests dropping down Chickapin Hill, regardless if it is a good report or (mostly) a negative report? All the damn time!

So my question is, why publicly display an attraction they deem offensive? This is why the media is not to be trusted. It’s pretty crazy how people will obey the commands of something so insignificant such as the media. Once the media throws an idea out there, the people listening (some not all) will carry those ideas on to social media sites in which Twitter, the most dominant because it has been proven that change can be made through there.

Over the past couple of years, I distinctly remember there were a few attempts to kick #ChangeSplashMountain off the ground. It almost seemed as if it was routinely done but nothing would materialize until Disney sent their surveys out there to Lord knows who in the midst of the last Presidential Administration. The country was in a heap of trouble and still is when it comes to how we as a society regard each other’s opposing opinions. I think Disney is trying to portray a caring image, key word: portray.

With TWDC’s leadership, it’s clear that this was done for some good PR and financial gaining. A lot of folks tend to believe this isn’t a money motivated factor but it is. Bad press equals money loss. Although, I’m more than sure Disney would have been just fine after all of the smoke has cleared. Its the mindset of Mr. Cool and Hip! Bob Iger who wouldn’t stand being labeled a racist. He is the robot that wants your praise and your money. I won’t delve deeper than that.

I think that while yes Splash Mountain may have been an issue for some individuals long before it became the irksome talking points of the media. We can not dismiss or ignore the huge impact social media, primarily Twitter has played in all of this. Don’t you know that Twitter has become the place where people seek to destroy other people’s reputation just because of the differences of opinion?

While some may say that Disney had the retheme planned out long before the George Floyd tragedy, I’m not disagreeing with that. I just think the attraction was in its early stages of development and because of the riots and protests happening during that time, that caused Disney to announce it earlier than expected. Cause look, nearly a year after the initial announcement there is still no word on when the retheme will commence? I don’t know.
Very well said. You seem to have really good understanding of not just the situation at hand, but the state of our culture in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom