Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSLS

It's cute you guys are still arguing that this is anything more than Disney continuing their mantra of everything must have an associated IP along with a cheaper way to say "Come see our BRAND NEW ATTRACTION!!!"

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It's cute you guys are still arguing that this is anything more than Disney continuing their mantra of everything must have an associated IP along with a cheaper way to say "Come see our BRAND NEW ATTRACTION!!!"
I think most of us on this forum have accepted that's what it is

_caleb

Again, I'm not sure where you're getting this information. There was a solid stretch pre-COVID where the only promoted tweets I saw from any company were ad rolls for Galaxy's Edge in front of Ellen clips. The Ellen clips would change from week to week, but the SWGE ads ran constantly.
You were targeted for those promoted tweets because you were identified as someone who would engage (retweet, comment, click a link).

The point is that there are 2.7B users on Facebook, 1B on (Facebook-owned) Instagram, and 330M users on Twitter. Which do you think is more important to Disney?

_caleb

And plus, if they really were afraid of a small portion of their audience, Mr. Toad would still be open at WDW.
Exactly.

I’m not saying Disney is completely oblivious to what people are saying about them on social media—they’re very active and engaged. But the company is so data-driven, they can tell the difference between a blogger trolling them for clicks and an actual threat to their bottom line. A handful of angry fans demanding Disney continue to do something that costs them money doesn’t phase them a bit (so long, Disney’s Magical Express!).

UNCgolf

You were targeted for those promoted tweets because you were identified as someone who would engage (retweet, comment, click a link).

The point is that there are 2.7B users on Facebook, 1B on (Facebook-owned) Instagram, and 330M users on Twitter. Which do you think is more important to Disney?

To piggyback on this and reiterate what I said above -- even that 330M number is misleading (and almost certainly is for FB and Instagram as well). Less than half of those Twitter users actually log in with any regularity (I believe the number was 42% but that's just operating off memory), so that alone cuts the number down to maybe 150-160M.

I'm also not sure if any of those numbers account for all the Twitter bots that aren't real people.

Last edited:

_caleb

So my question is, why publicly display an attraction they deem offensive?
Disney has not ”deemed the attraction offensive.” They’ve acknowledged that some of their films contain scenes that some of their audience finds racially insensitive. Not the same thing.
This is why the media is not to be trusted. It’s pretty crazy how people will obey the commands of something so insignificant such as the media. Once the media throws an idea out there, the people listening (some not all) will carry those ideas on to social media sites in which Twitter, the most dominant because it has been proven that change can be made through there.
Twitter is not the “most dominant” social media platform. It might be with you, or even with your demographic. I have no idea what you mean by ”the media is not to be trusted,” what media? On social media, those are just people with opinions talking about stuff. Do you mean the news media? And who is obeying commands of the media? Seriously trying to follow your line of though here.
With TWDC’s leadership, it’s clear that this was done for some good PR and financial gaining. A lot of folks tend to believe this isn’t a money motivated factor but it is.
I’m not sure that anyone would disagree with this. Disney is a company that wants to make money. Good PR is expensive and hard to come by. There is a national conversation bout race relations happening, and they want to be part of that. Not sure who you’re debating with this one.
I think that while yes Splash Mountain may have been an issue for some individuals long before it became the irksome talking points of the media. We can not dismiss or ignore the huge impact social media, primarily Twitter has played in all of this. Don’t you know that Twitter has become the place where people seek to destroy other people’s reputation just because of the differences of opinion?
Yes, Disney knows this, too. Which is why they decided not to purchase it back in 2017.
While some may say that Disney had the retheme planned out long before the George Floyd tragedy, I’m not disagreeing with that. I just think the attraction was in its early stages of development and because of the riots and protests happening during that time, that caused Disney to announce it earlier than expected. Cause look, nearly a year after the initial announcement there is still no word on when the retheme will commence? I don’t know.
Yes, it seems the PatF retheme plans weren’t as far a long as compared to how they usually do announcements like this. It was an opportune moment to announce the plan. They may still change their minds about it, given the pandemic and economic fallout.

But that’s the point. These things are complicated. Those who are saying that Disney made the announcement because they’re afraid of a “Twitter mob” don’t seem to account for the complexity of social media, marketing in general, social discourse, or Disney itself.

_caleb

It's cheaper to not change an attraction at all.
Right. Which is why I think it’s worth discussing why Disney would bother. These changes (Splash, Jungle Cruise, etc) are costing a lot of money when they could just leave well enough alone. But they’re not, and it’s interesting to think about why that is.

champdisney

Disney has not ”deemed the attraction offensive.” They’ve acknowledged that some of their films contain scenes that some of their audience finds racially insensitive. Not the same thing.
My comment was towards the mainstream media, who mostly report on the negative aspects of whatever is happening with the company at the time.
Twitter is not the “most dominant” social media platform. It might be with you, or even with your demographic. I have no idea what you mean by ”the media is not to be trusted,” what media? On social media, those are just people with opinions talking about stuff. Do you mean the news media? And who is obeying commands of the media? Seriously trying to follow your line of though here.
What I laid out on my original post - which by the way you dragged me into because this thread wasn’t touched in three months, was simply laid out in detail. I’m honestly not sure if it is you truly not understanding or your just choosing not to in sake of making your argument.

Yes, it is the mainstream media who leads the way and it is social media that does it’s bidding. If you think Twitter isn’t the most dominant social media outlet to date then that would be your opinion and I am going to respectfully disagree.

LSLS

It's cheaper to not change an attraction at all.

Sure, but they need to be able to point to new things being done in the parks as well. If you want to get the PatF IP in the park without the cost of starting from scratch, here you go. Bonus points you can use talking points about how it's to "be more inclusive," but the bottom line is getting the IP in with it costing less than building an all new ride. Sorry, beyond the fact that I have not heard anyone really complain about Splash Mountain (I'm sure they are out there, but I don't see a movement to force the hand), I just don't buy they look at anything out of making more money with more IP.

_caleb

My comment was towards the mainstream media, who mostly report on the negative aspects of whatever is happening with the company at the time.

What I laid out on my original post - which by the way you dragged me into because this thread wasn’t touched in three months, was simply laid out in detail. I’m honestly not sure if it is you truly not understanding or your just choosing not to in sake of making your argument.

Yes, it is the mainstream media who leads the way and it is social media that does it’s bidding. If you think Twitter isn’t the most dominant social media outlet to date then that would be your opinion and I am going to respectfully disagree.
You did not include enough detail for me to understand what you’re trying to say. I asked for clarification. You don’t have to provide it, but please don’t insinuate that I’m playing obtuse to make a point.

You said, “the media is not to be trusted.” I’m trying to figure out who you’re talking about when you say, “the media.” You’ve clarified now by saying, “the mainstream media,” but I’m still not sure who that is. Is ABC the “mainstream media” when all their sitcoms do the obligatory ”very special field trip to Disneyland” episodes? I haven’t seen any of those depict Splash Mountain in a negative light.

Or maybe you mean “news media“ (which I asked about previously). But if that’s the case, you might expect that a journalist’s job isn’t to post positive PR for a company like Disney, but to post the things Disney might have interest in NOT promoting. When something that’s of public interest happens, that’s news.

Disney’s announcement was news. But a balanced news report would explore every angle of the story, like this one from “mainstream media” CNN, which includes direct quotes from Disney’s one press release but also notes the coincidence of the announcement with BLM protests and the change.org petition.

And because the “mainstream media” posts directly to social media platforms, I’m not sure how you separate them in your understanding of how influence happens or news spreads. I don’t understand how the sentence “it is the mainstream media who leads the way and it is social media that does it’s bidding” makes any sense at all. Is WDWMagic doing my bidding by allowing me to post here?

You’re free to have your opinion. I’m trying to understand it for the sake of the discussion. You think Twitter is the most dominant social media outlet. I’m trying to understand what you mean by that because you’re clearly not measuring according to user numbers. Is your opinion on this informed by any evidence, or is it just how things seem to you?

BTW, I did not drag you into anything. You do not have to respond to every post you’re tagged in. If you’re not having fun interacting with me, you probably shouldn’t!

Da Bird is Da Word

Disney is changing Splash for stupid Woke reasons and it is no coincidence that the announcement came during the BLM riots over the Summer. You're in denial if you think that was a coincidence, and you don't need to be a Q'anon beleiver to think that. They just fired an actress from the Mandalorian for transparently political reasons, Disney is not a tolerant and inclusive company. They bow to the Woke mob and they frankly don't care if it loses them profits.

Rich Brownn

Disney is changing Splash for stupid Woke reasons and it is no coincidence that the announcement came during the BLM riots over the Summer. You're in denial if you think that was a coincidence, and you don't need to be a Q'anon beleiver to think that. They just fired an actress from the Mandalorian for transparently political reasons, Disney is not a tolerant and inclusive company. They bow to the Woke mob and they frankly don't care if it loses them profits.
Suprisingly, Disney doesn't consider bigoted comments to be "political" and certainly doesn't want to be involved with anyone like that. If "Woke" means to be aware that everyone isn't a WASP/straight/male, then yeah, they are.

champdisney

You did not include enough detail for me to understand what you’re trying to say. I asked for clarification. You don’t have to provide it, but please don’t insinuate that I’m playing obtuse to make a point.

You said, “the media is not to be trusted.” I’m trying to figure out who you’re talking about when you say, “the media.” You’ve clarified now by saying, “the mainstream media,” but I’m still not sure who that is. Is ABC the “mainstream media” when all their sitcoms do the obligatory ”very special field trip to Disneyland” episodes? I haven’t seen any of those depict Splash Mountain in a negative light.

Or maybe you mean “news media“ (which I asked about previously). But if that’s the case, you might expect that a journalist’s job isn’t to post positive PR for a company like Disney, but to post the things Disney might have interest in NOT promoting. When something that’s of public interest happens, that’s news.

Disney’s announcement was news. But a balanced news report would explore every angle of the story, like this one from “mainstream media” CNN, which includes direct quotes from Disney’s one press release but also notes the coincidence of the announcement with BLM protests and the change.org petition.

And because the “mainstream media” posts directly to social media platforms, I’m not sure how you separate them in your understanding of how influence happens or news spreads.
When referencing the mainstream media, I’m talking about the entire industry that is responsible for giving the public daily information. Pinpointing them to a tee is absolutely time consuming for me at the moment, however I still managed to write a lengthy response that some came to understand. I think it’s you playing devils advocate here which by all means do so. I suspected members of the forum would come along to dissect my response but here’s the thing. You along with everyone else knows exactly what the mainstream is and how a huge chunk of the public finds it untrustworthy.

If you or anyone find them to be an ally, that is okay. I just don’t want to have to explain in elaborate detail who is responsible for what out of the bunch. Quite frankly they are all sleeping on the same bed together when it comes to selective information.

Regarding ABC, that’s an obvious “of course not” because you and I both know that that organization is owned by Disney. Not sure why you refered to them in this case as everyone knows that no company would ever talk down on their own products.

From what I’ve seen in the past leading to this point, news outlets such as CNN, Fox, MSNBC, CBS and their online counterparts have all displayed footage of Splash Mountain every time they report something Disney related. Either good or bad... but mostly bad. Though one can argue that using Splash Mountain for a couple seconds within a news segment makes sense being that the attraction is one of Disney’s marquee attractions, not to mention that it’s easy to grab quick footage of it outdoors.

They have routinely used Splash Mountain as easy footage to insert into their reports while talking about the parks itself whether it be an incident that took place or the dreaded ticket price spikes. To clarify: the reports were not about Splash Mountain. Just pointing out the fact that they used footage on an attraction they deem offensive today.

This is why I don’t trust the media. It’s these little switcheroos in narratives that the mainstream media fully believes that the average person will not remember. Yet, I remember and I’m free to call them out on their bias reporting.

I don’t understand how the sentence “it is the mainstream media who leads the way and it is social media that does it’s bidding” makes any sense at all. Is WDWMagic doing my bidding by allowing me to post here?
Most of the public receives their information through the mainstream media and most of the things they report are entirely shrouded in darkness and so far bent from the truth that it triggers people. And in turn these people go on social media and spread more of that negativity like a virus.
Is WDWMagic doing my bidding by allowing me to post here?
What?
You’re free to have your opinion. I’m trying to understand it for the sake of the discussion. You think Twitter is the most dominant social media outlet. I’m trying to understand what you mean by that because you’re clearly not measuring according to user numbers. Is your opinion on this informed by any evidence, or is it just how things seem to you?
What evidence do you need? I’m talking in regards of Twitter’s algorithm. There is always an explosive amount of content being added and discussion being held on that service at all times of the day. By chance, are you on Twitter?
BTW, I did not drag you into anything. You do not have to respond to every post you’re tagged in. If you’re not having fun interacting with me, you probably shouldn’t!
I responded as a gentlemen because I believe we can go somewhere and at least come to terms of an understanding. Just not into the dissection of every little thing you disagree with.

_caleb

You do realize that the word “coincidence” can mean “things happening at the same time,” right?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

And because the “mainstream media” posts directly to social media platforms, I’m not sure how you separate them in your understanding of how influence happens or news spreads. I don’t understand how the sentence “it is the mainstream media who leads the way and it is social media that does it’s bidding” makes any sense at all. Is WDWMagic doing my bidding by allowing me to post here?

Just wait until you see what Disney does to the Rocketeer next. Gonna remove it for being problematic for it is not inclusive in the way it shows German people as just evil villains who want to take over the world. Disgusting. Non inclusive! It's days on Disney Plus are numbered.

Californian Elitist

BLM protests have been happening for years. Wouldn’t Disney have made an announcement years ago?

Carano was fired for refusing to listen to her employer and continuing to tweet problematic things. What does she have to do with this?

UNCgolf

Of course they do. If they thought these moves were going to cause a big loss in profits they wouldn't make them. It's far more likely that they believe these moves will actually increase profits long-term.

Might be time to realize the majority of people either actually disagree with you or just don't have strong enough opinions to care either way.

Last edited:

champdisney

Carano was fired for refusing to listen to her employer and continuing to tweet problematic things. What does she have to do with this?
Same can be said about Pascal and other Lucasfilm employees and yet there they are still under Disney’s payroll. Seems apparent that as long as their political stance fits their narrative they’re given a free pass to say whatever they please.

I don’t know about you but that sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom