Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusEzra

Slightly off topic if Splash mountain has issues and needs a retheme what about like half of Port Orleans Riverside, you know the side that's fashioned after plantations? To be honest thats the first thing that crossed my mind during all this in the last few weeks. not splash mtn

Tony Perkis

Me reading the outrage.

tenor.gif

jaklgreen

True. But it will forever be tied to a movie that IS inherently and unapologetically racist. The talk of the ride needed to be changed would never, ever end. I hate it but it’s time. I’ll miss it but I also will embrace whatever else comes out of this. PATF is a wonderful film so we will see.

It is tied to Song of the South because people keep bringing it up. I will be 47 in 2 days, I never saw that movie. My kids, who are adults now, have no idea that Splash Mountain was anyway tied to a movie, let alone one considered racist. And why change it to PATF? It does not fit the theme at all. We are not a big fan of PATF movie, just could not get into it. But I don't see the appeal of the Lion King either. I think Hercules was a better movie.

jmp85

You can't expect guest to keep paying $100+ to visit a park with 30+ year old rides. If the price will keep going up, they have to make these rides more modern. Especially in disneyland where space is limited.

It's one of the most popular attractions in all of WDW. Don't attempt to peddle that argument, it's disingenuous. You're offended by everything, we get it.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The fact the ride had been cleansed of the racial issues this ride should not be the issue. The issue is some are trying to bring up anything that can have any negative impact and force change for change sake....

Like HBO knee jerk reaction to bring down Gone With The Wind....

This ride if you ask 99.9% of the population they have no idea why it would need to be changed and no one would say it was racist.

This is the cancel culture at full force yet again.
So its okay to keep things loosely based in historical racism just because its no well known?

I know black people to this day who won't stay at Port Orleans Riverside because the plantation theme still bothers them today despite disney cleaning up the backstory.

LukeS7

The fact the ride had been cleansed of the racial issues this ride should not be the issue. The issue is some are trying to bring up anything that can have any negative impact and force change for change sake....

Like HBO knee jerk reaction to bring down Gone With The Wind....

This ride if you ask 99.9% of the population they have no idea why it would need to be changed and no one would say it was racist.

This is the cancel culture at full force yet again.
Gone With the Wind is still on the service. They only took it down briefly to add a disclaimer.

hoke2007

I have quite literally zero confidence in Disney doing this the right way. The likelihood of Disney gutting this ride, then gutting the budget, and leaving us with a 9-minute ride through nothing but screens is pretty high.

Closing a beloved attraction is disappointing enough. Replacing it with a watered down, budget cut attraction will be even more disappointing.

gmajew

Premium Member
Are you saying that by removing confederate monuments im at a higher risk of becoming enslaved? :oops:

Who ever knows... Did we ever think Nazi germany would happen? But no I dont think that... But they are a part of our history right or wrong American has a history worth seeing both the evil and good sides. Those monuments tell the story remind people of where we came from how we continue to grow and become better to each other.

People don't need to realize that it is so so important to remember the tough journey we have made and the tough path we still have to go.

Tony Perkis

It is tied to Song of the South because people keep bringing it up. I will be 47 in 2 days, I never saw that movie. My kids, who are adults now, have no idea that Splash Mountain was anyway tied to a movie, let alone one considered racist. And why change it to PATF? It does not fit the theme at all. We are not a big fan of PATF movie, just could not get into it. But I don't see the appeal of the Lion King either. I think Hercules was a better movie.
It’s tied to Song of the South because it’s based on Song of the South.

GeoffR

Slightly off topic if Splash mountain has issues and needs a retheme what about like half of Port Orleans Riverside, you know the side that's fashioned after plantations? To be honest thats the first thing that crossed my mind during all this in the last few weeks. not splash mtn

This was addressed years ago when it was 'Dixie Landings.' They rewrote the backstory and everything to be more appropriate and reworked it into Port Orleans French Quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom