Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Soooooo, just thinking out loud here.

Splash is dead, correct? It won’t be reopening with the rest of the park in a few weeks?

Because, if it’s “problematic” enough to warrant this change of theme, it’s definitely problematic enough to be cancelled immediately, right?

They really need to throw up a scrim tomorrow and shut the thing down.

dothebrdwalk

Well, even I didn't think Iger would be this weak and stupid.

What? They're including Louis the Unfunny Alligator in this desecration? Will there be a dead kid in his mouth? (Talk about being insensitive, TDO...christ).

What more is there to say?
You're right! How dare they include a representation of an alligator after one accidental death that happened on their property. It's so offensive. They should instead keep the old ride themed to a racist movie about a slave instead! It's not like anyone died from being a slave! :rolleyes:

hokielutz

My thoughts on this are:
Yes the movie is questionable and Disney was right to hold it back from further releases... but there are so many other movies made in the past, some critically acclaimed masterpieces that are not racially PC or historically accurate on the subject.

Splash Mountain at its creation took the fun characters from the movie and built a different story for the ride that was not racially abhorrent or motivated. You can agree or disagree. I am old enough to have seen Song of the South and understand the differences between the movie and the ride's content. Unless you can show the intent of the Imagineers was to build a monument to the South, promote segregation, and racial atrocities with the ride's characters and back story... then this outrage is manufactured with stretched logic.

That being said, Splash has not been consistently 100% operational for a while... elements have either broken or turned off over time or are operating intermittently. But the ride is almost 30 years old so its not unheard of to perform an update to an aging ride beyond mechanical, paint and water filtering. “Walt Disney famously said that 'Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." Some of us have angst over this and want our favorite rides to remain untouched. (RIP Toad, etc)

I feel this is a knee-jerk reaction by the company. Rather than providing clear context of the ride and defending the design, they instead are seeking to avoid any negative press by trying to appear to be proactive in this move. (by saying they have been considering this since last year) With no date marked for closure or new date to open the re-themed attraction.. it appears they are scrambling as the focus of outrage shifts from one place to another.

I do not believe racism is completely a thing of the past and more needs be done to reduce/eliminate it in our society. But this is not the way.

noodles

Well if you can't explain, then it will never be. My position on older rides being upgraded constantly is not specific to Splash.

These parks have to appeal to the masses not just die hard guest.
Who is buying the tickets? That's who a sane person would attempt to appeal to. Was this change being demanded by a majority of people that buy tickets? Or a screaming minority, most of whom would never pay for a ticket?

EricsBiscuit

If there is any silver lining to this, I see them using the Rivers of America s justification for theming. This means the RoA and Liberty Belle might be safe for a while. Unfortunately the WDWRR might have to close again. What a stupid change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom